My BIG FAT Flat Iron FAIL. Pics

wednesday

Ahhhhh, so...i finally flat ironed my ahir today, after months oh oooing and awwwing over which flat iron to buy, researching heat protectants and different techniques:look:. I flat ironed with my maxiglide XP and GA.MA Italia. *big sigh*

Prep
I Prepood with my Vatika, Amla and Castor oil and sat under my steamer for 30 mins
washed with Giovanni 50:50 with my hair in 5 big braids ( my hair felt soooo soft)
Deep conditioned with Miss Jessies Super Sweet Back Treatment:lick:- under the steamer for 30 minutes then put a plastic cap on and sleep with it in my hair.
After i rinsed it out this morning my hair felt great. I used some Maxius Beyond straight when my hair was soaking wet. I put my hair in 4 sections, to each section i applie Biosilk thermal sheild spray before blow drying on medium and then on hot for a few seconds. My hair felt like crap!!!lol, i don't know if i used too much product:ohwell:. SO the i used my maxi glide on level 5....it did nothing ...so i put it on level 8 and proceeded to flat iron in very small sections. ugh...it was so wack:nono: i felt dry and started to revert quickly even without the steam. I went over the front with my GA.MA iron a little. It didn't help much. I ended up with a bushy mess. Ahhh well, i don't know why i was envisioning silky flowing hair:lachen:No one has ever been able to get my hair straight!i don't know why i thought i would be able to. I'm open to all suggestions. I can wait to wash and get my kinks back:yawn:.

1st pic- washed no product
2nd pic- blown out
3rd pic- end result
4th pic- put this ish in a ponytail!!!! I curled the bangs.:lol:

Attachments

• IMG01053.jpg
    IMG01053.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG01059.jpg
    IMG01059.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG01074.jpg
    IMG01074.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG01073.jpg
    IMG01073.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 303
It sounds like you may have used a few too many products. Maybe next time you can try narrowing down the products and doing a rollerset, then flat ironing.

I love the last pic. Your makeup is so pretty.:yep:

The maxius product line that comes with the maxiglide is pretty much crap to me. Also I would perhaps go with a dc that has more moisture than what MJ dc gave you. I find rollersetting as opposed to blowdrying helps my hair not feel as dry.

It looks like the ladies have begun pointing you in the right direction! You do look cute in the last pic though...Don't give up @wednesday...all is not lost!

Last edited:
It looks to me like you hair is cut/trimmed to wear in an even, beautiful afro. So, when you wear it straight, you have layers because it is not even for a straight style. When you have layers, the hair appears to be frizzy and not bone straight. Second, when you wear a straightened style, as the ladies have mentioned, it is better to be light with the products. They keep you from have a straightened look as well. The front looks really cute. The curls are crisp and shiny and beautiful. There is not a single knot or split in them either. What I see is good hair care. For that alone, I say, "Bravo, job well done!"

well, you look gorgeous in that last picture. :D
i agree with other suggestions that you probably used too much product. also, your blowdry job could use a little more work. did you use a comb attachment? denman?? i have a straightening tutorial in my fotki (see siggy) if you're interested.

Not only might there have been too much product, I think maybe the moisture level of the product you used may not have been sufficient. I've never used Miss Jessie's so I am not speaking from experience with that product, but I have experienced a great deal of trial and error when it comes to straightening.

Often times when you use too much product, if your hair is properly moisturize from the inside out, it will still become straighter, but look very weighed down and lifeless.

Judging by your pics, I don't think your hair lived up to its straightening potential. I say try again with a different deep conditioner (maybe add a little honey, EVOO or coconut oil) and see what becomes of it!.

Good Luck :)

Could you tell us more about the blow dry? What kind of blow dryer did you use? Did you use a brush with it? a comb attachment?

I bet if you used a better blow dryer and held it taught with a round brush, you would have had better results. :yep:

I'm noticing that is a common trend on LHCF- bad blow dryers. :yep:

well, you look gorgeous in that last picture. :D
i agree with other suggestions that you probably used too much product. also, your blowdry job could use a little more work. did you use a comb attachment? denman?? i have a straightening tutorial in my fotki (see siggy) if you're interested.

i used a comb attachment, i'll check out your tutorial! Thanks :yawn:

Could you tell us more about the blow dry? What kind of blow dryer did you use? Did you use a brush with it? a comb attachment?

I bet if you used a better blow dryer and held it taught with a round brush, you would have had better results. :yep:

I'm noticing that is a common trend on LHCF- bad blow dryers. :yep:

i used RED ceramic 2000 turbo hair dryer with a comb attachment. I must admit the blow dry felt horrible. Normally when i blow out my hair i use Keracare SIlken Seal and my hair feels really soft and smooth. But i thought it would weight my hair down too much:look:. I just put a quarter size amount of the Beyond Straight. My hair was in 4 sections and i gave each section about 4 sprays of the bio silk. My hair felt kinda dry so i thought maybe i didn't use enough product!lol. after blowdrying in the four sections i added Chi silk infusion.

I find with flatironing, the less products the better results are. Next time try to limit the amount of products.

IA with everyone saying to use less products. When straightening natural hair, its about how much you use and the type of products.

I like to use a little bit of Paul Mitchell's super skinny serum and a couple sprays of Nioxin Thermal Protector before blow-drying. After this, it's all about technique to get those salon quality results. I blow dry carefully with the comb attachment in four sections. Then I take my modified Denman (I took out every other row) and smooth my hair down with the concentrator nozzle. I set the Maxiglide to about a 7 or 8 and take small sections. Sometimes, I dab a tiny, tiny amount of coconut oil on the ends. I could never get my hair to look good until I started doubling up on the moisturizing conditioner and using a light hand with products during the blow dry. HTH!!!!

sorry to hear your troubles but I agree with the rest of the ladies less is best with flat ironing.

Nothing new to add. Try using one product.. A serum should be enough. Also the blow drying stage needs dissecting too. That stage leads you into the next stage being perfect:yep:

:yep: You're very pretty...I actually don't believe it looks that bad hun.It looks my hair after I flat ironed and it was reverting.
Where did you flat iron? In the bathroom cause that is a no no for me lmao..It just makes me sweat..
I believe you should blowdry as straight as you can.It should kind of look like your flat iron pic. Give or take the "poofiness".
I believe you should just do what westndnbeauty does and and pre poo with a moisture rich conditon ,shampoo and then proceed to blow drying/ flat iron..
Also make sure your d.c. doesnt have too humectants (Not sure about this one)

You know I always here people using these expensive flat irons but I found one at Walmart like 6 years ago and i have used the same one ever since because it works wonders you may want to check it out the brand is Andis. Also when I flat iron my hair I use coconut oil on my scalp and then I use Cantu Shea Butter Leave in Conditioning Repair Cream and that is it. Occasionally I put some Vitapointe (I know that a lot of the ladies are against products with mineral oil but this stuff is my holy grail) on my edges and wrap it up.

Back