My Afro's RARE (and maybe last) Appearance (Pics)

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Your fro is gorgeous.

How do you feel about wearing your afro?

I love my afros. By afros I mean twist outs, braid outs, picked out fros, and any other fro with the exception of the shrunken fro. I do not do shrunken fros (or wash n go fros) because they tangle really bad for me. There is nothing beneficial of wearing one.

Does the afro create more issues when it comes to detangling?
No because I don't experience tangles like that with stretched out fros.
The only time it would be a challenge is if I wore my hair shrunken. I make sure to keep my hair stretched out by braiding or twisting it up at night, or putting bands on the ends or something like that to keep it stretched out.

Do you feel the afro style is worth the work of detangling it?
Not an issue.

Describes my hair exactly.

iri9109

I don't understand why some of you would want to run your fingers through your fro anyway! :lol: Not saying it's impossible, but it's not gonna slide through! Our hair is coily.

girl...its like a curly forest up in my head...one time i reached in there to scratch my scalp and instead of just sliding my hand out at the roots i tried to run my fingers through to the ends and they got stuck...

iri9109

How do you feel about wearing your afro?
i love it...my favorite is the WnG/curly fro because its the most effortless...i wear a twistout fro sometimes, but usually i just pin those up or wear a ponytail...blow-out fro's are too much manipulation for me so i dont wear those.

Does the afro create more issues when it comes to detangling?

i wear WnG fros 90 percent of the time and detangling has never really been a problem for me...i just detangle in sections and use oil and maybe a spritz of water/condish/aloe

Do you feel the afro style is worth the work of detangling it?
it's not alot of work for me...i used to detangle in less than 10 minutes, now it takes about 15-20 because i work in small sections, but its not that bad because i only do it once a week before i shampoo my hair...i might not feel this way when my hair gets longer though.

LilMissRed

I understand. BUT its still gorgeous...thnx for sharing... love ur hair!! :yep:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using SAMSUNG-SGH-I897

bb09

IA with kimmaytube as well

I like it!

Did you expect to be able to run your fingers freely through your hair? That just doesn't seem possible with tightly curled hair unless it's been stretched out and detangled beforehand. Doesn't pulling it back into a pony tail just compress the curls more too?

Sounds like the normal action of curly hair to me, not anything that should cause extreme tangling.
prettyinpurple -wow I never knew that:nono:. How do you stretch out and detangle tightly curled hair then? I alwayss have a tendency to fingercomb or atleast separate my hair.. then I moisturise.

I would never have linked a ponytail to compressing the curls either.! How do you stretch your hair at night?

Nope, I just wet, add slippy condish and detangle as usual.

The detangling job isn't so difficult when you always wear stretched fro's. So yea, it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone4 using LHCF
BlackMasterPiece -your hair is gorgeous :). Do you ever wet your hair inbetween washdays in order to detangle?

Cherokee-n-Black

I like it!

Did you expect to be able to run your fingers freely through your hair? That just doesn't seem possible with tightly curled hair unless it's been stretched out and detangled beforehand. Doesn't pulling it back into a pony tail just compress the curls more too?

Sounds like the normal action of curly hair to me, not anything that should cause extreme tangling.

Gotta second this. I wouldn't even attempt to run my fingers through. Just detangle when wet. Now, I can't speak to whether that would be just as bad, but FTR, your hair looks pretty.

prettyinpurple

bb09: I don't even remember making that post LOL.

Oh I have to braid or twist at night to keep my hair stretched.

You can stretch and detangle tightly curled hair with manual manipulation, but you can't just leave it loose and expect it to stay stretched for a great length of time IMO. Not unless some heat has been applied IME.

So even though I detangle my hair and stretch it with twists and a light blow dry after washing -- the stretching is very temporary for me. A night or two at most of sleeping on loose hair then it starts compressing again LOL. But it usually stays pretty well detangled and easy to twist. I can't run my fingers through it as I did in my relaxed days, BUT I can part it easily w/my hands and retwist.

bb09

@bb09: I don't even remember making that post LOL.

Oh I have to braid or twist at night to keep my hair stretched.

You can stretch and detangle tightly curled hair with manual manipulation, but you can't just leave it loose and expect it to stay stretched for a great length of time IMO. Not unless some heat has been applied IME.

So even though I detangle my hair and stretch it with twists and a light blow dry after washing -- the stretching is very temporary for me. A night or two at most of sleeping on loose hair then it starts compressing again LOL. But it usually stays pretty well detangled and easy to twist. I can't run my fingers through it as I did in my relaxed days, BUT I can part it easily w/my hands and retwist.

@ the first bolded (aftermath of loose hair), do you just moisturise and retwist to restretch? Once my hair is compact, it's all over for me. I cannot part through it easily at All!
@ the second bolded (parting through easily), that's just not something I can do with my NG, esp when it gets compact ! I wish I could stretch my new growth alone! I usually just do 2 ponies to sleep, but that just might not cut it.

lol at you forgetting your own post, & sorry to hijack OP!

prettyinpurple

^^Depends on my current moisture level. If it's cooperating, I don't have to moisturize before retwisting.

Now it may be a completely different ball game if you're not completely natural. That's a whole 'nother world of tangles LOL.

You'll probably have to spend more time doing the initial stretching after washing your hair. The less I stretch then, the harder it will be to maintain as stretched until the next wash.

transitioning?

I love my shrunken wash and go fro. I dont find that it leads to excessive tanglea but it does lead to single strand knots. I'm pretty sure I could reduce knots by plaiting my hair but if I do that it gets stretched out and ugly.

I experience more detangling issues with twists/twist outs. Am I the only one?
Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100