Mud Hair Wash=NO DC?

faithVA

I still love the mud wash. I did have to do another detox though. I started using things like Surge, Ecostyler gel & that MN mix & because these products weren't truly natural I no longer got the great results that I was used to. I did away with all of my unnatural products, did a detox & am back in love with my hair!

I have only been using natural products but I think I am going to do a mini-detox in the spring. I have been trying so many things, I don't remember what my hair felt like after the first detox. But I want the weather to be warm, so I can wear my hair out. I just feel like doing another detox will give me a fresh start. I will probably only do 3 days though, unless it just feels fabulous :lol:

drmuffin

So…I jumped on board and put in an order for the 16oz. Left Coast Lemon. It's always been on my "try once before I die" list and I do love me some bentonite. I did one last night, in fact, and loved how it felt (wondered why I stopped). So why not try some Terressentials? I'm almost out of bentonite anyways. We shall see!

MsJamerican

just read this whole thread...very interesting!

I told my bff about it and sent her here to read the rave reviews about this mud wash. She told me she would get me the LCL. I'll come back to do an update when I try it. I'm currently in box braids (with extensions) and I'm also transitioning so I will probably update late January, early February when I take out my extensions...

L.Brown1114

okayy so I have searched as much as I could, but could not find the answer so maybe you ladies can help me! I would like to start the detox once my mud wash gets here-I got the lemon one. how do you detox? is there a certain product you buy or is it with whatever mud wash you choose??

also what are the instructions?? I want the BARE MINIMUM, every poster i read is always doing something extra with it and my hair is not like theirs so i dont want to do what they do. so if someone could tell me the BASIC ORIGINAL detox instructions I would be TRULY grateful!!!!

HanaKuroi

L.Brown1114 said:
okayy so I have searched as much as I could, but could not find the answer so maybe you ladies can help me! I would like to start the detox once my mud wash gets here-I got the lemon one. how do you detox? is there a certain product you buy or is it with whatever mud wash you choose??

also what are the instructions?? I want the BARE MINIMUM, every poster i read is always doing something extra with it and my hair is not like theirs so i dont want to do what they do. so if someone could tell me the BASIC ORIGINAL detox instructions I would be TRULY grateful!!!!

Try the terressentials website. The instructions should be there.

Since I use natural products I didn't do the detox for seven days.

I also moisturized and sealed as usual after each detox.

L.Brown1114

Try the terressentials website. The instructions should be there.

Since I use natural products I didn't do the detox for seven days.

I also moisturized and sealed as usual after each detox.

thanks! I did a lot of reading and just one question left. Do you just detox with whatever mud wash you choose or is there on you detox with and then once the detox is done you purchase the one that pertains to your hair type??

HanaKuroi

Left coast lemon is thought to be the most moisturizing. Some people like the lavender. Naptural85 on yt has a review and use video. Look her up.

You don't change products after detoxing. Lcl should be fine for out hair type.

faithVA

[USER=154616 said:
L.Brown1114[/USER];17559461]thanks! I did a lot of reading and just one question left. Do you just detox with whatever mud wash you choose or is there on you detox with and then once the detox is done you purchase the one that pertains to your hair type??

Detox with the mudwash that works with your hair type. All the mudwashes can be used to detox. The lemon works for most.

Fine 4s

So this is like clay? I vaguely remember reading something about the build up of clay on the scalp? Can anyone address that for me please? I really want this!
Tks!

faithVA

^^I'm of no help on that subject. There are a few that have this issue though. I have never had build up in the year that I have used it.

nakialovesshoes

So this is like clay? I vaguely remember reading something about the build up of clay on the scalp? Can anyone address that for me please? I really want this!
Tks!

Wow I've never heard of clay buildup. I wonder is it the clay or the residue from bad products. Of course I'm no expert but I know that buildup feeling from the bad stuff in my products but it went away once the residue was completely gone & didn't return. Interesting...

drmuffin

I know I've read through this entire thread but I can't remember if anyone did this: has anyone steamed with Terressentials? I'm under the steamer now with Left Coast Lemon and I think I'm in love.

faithVA

^^No I never steamed with it. I would think with clay you would want it to dry some so it can draw the impurities from the hair. Similar to what you would do with a mud mask. But I am sure someone on the list has steamed with it.

drmuffin

^^No I never steamed with it. I would think with clay you would want it to dry some so it can draw the impurities from the hair. Similar to what you would do with a mud mask. But I am sure someone on the list has steamed with it.

Thanks faithVA. Well I steamed with it, finally with no DC afterwards, and let me just say that my hair is singing, done cut a record deal, and went platinum. My hair has never felt this good in its short natural life. I've used benotonite clay a long while before, but just started using TE recently (coming back from a clay hiatus) and now I will never be without one or the other again. AND I just eliminated the DC step on wash day. Love it!

jbwphoto1

Any recent updates on using the clay? I'm looking to use fewer products and fewere steps with my hair.

Most of my reading has talked about bentonite, but I've been hearing a little about rhassoul. I forgot to ask the guy in the Indian market this morning if they sold either of these or something similar.

mshoneyfly

Any recent updates on using the clay? I'm looking to use fewer products and fewere steps with my hair.

Most of my reading has talked about bentonite, but I've been hearing a little about rhassoul. I forgot to ask the guy in the Indian market this morning if they sold either of these or something similar.

Ooooh!! I used pink australian clay for the first time on sat. I mixed it with amla, cassia, marsh mallow root and my dc. It really helped take away some of the drying feeling from the amla.

ETA: I did still shampoo first but I could see just using the above recipe as a dc without pooing

Last edited:

nakialovesshoes

I still use the clay & I love it. However, the more my hair grows, the more product it takes & that's no bueno. Naptural85 recently posted a video with an alternative recipe. It does call for rhassoul vs. bentonite clay. I'm planning to try the recipe with both types of clay & see if it gives me the same results.

I've tried other YT recipes & it just wasn't the same. I'm doubtful that her recipe will work as the Terressentials does for me but it can't hurt to try.

faithVA

[USER=30119 said:
nakialovesshoes[/USER];18293327]I still use the clay & I love it. However, the more my hair grows, the more product it takes & that's no bueno. Naptural85 recently posted a video with an alternative recipe. It does call for rhassoul vs. bentonite clay. I'm planning to try the recipe with both types of clay & see if it gives me the same results.

I've tried other YT recipes & it just wasn't the same. I'm doubtful that her recipe will work as the Terressentials does for me but it can't hurt to try.

Please let us know. I would like to use the mudwash more and if I do so would like to make it.

Jobwright

I ordered a bottle for my DD and my niece on Friday. It should be here tomorrow. I also made naptural85's Shea butter mix in preparation for doing the detox on them. I guess you can tell I'm kinda excited!

jbwphoto1

I have a ton of Suave, Biotera, Creme of Nature and other CVS/Sally's shampoos, conditioners and other products sitting under my bathroom sink. I'm trying to decide should I try to use up most before biting the bullet with mud and clay. You can tell I've reading the Use up Your Stash 2013 challenge.

My in-between step would be using shampoo bars I have from Henna Sooq along with conditioners and butter from NaturelleGrow, NJoy sulfur scalp mix, my own moisture mix and coconut oil/vatika infused coconut oil.

I would try the Terrestrials first to make sure both me and my hair like it. Then, I would move on to trying the bentonite, rhassoul or pink clay.

Jobwright

Okay, so...IT WAS AWESOME!!!!! My first time washing my dd's hair in twists and using the mud. So soft and moisturized! I did not even have to use a comb it detangled so well. That was another first! Love it! I am ordering another bottle now so I don't run out. Thanks ladies for bringing this awesome product to me!!!!

Squikee

I am an avid user of Clay for at least a year now. It's really all I use. I use Terressentials mostly but will mix some Ghassoul/Rhassoul clay, aloe vera juice, and coconut or olive oil up as well.

I apply it, put on a plastic cap and my turbie twisty, and let it sit for at least 20 minutes. I wash my hair in sections/twists so I just get in the shower and rinse it out section by section.

I then apply a butter (currently jojoba butter) and twist my hair. My regimen is super simple and may not work for everyone. But it's made me love my natural hair even more because using so many problems became too much of a hassle for me.

HanaKuroi

gn1g said:
wonder how would using the clay in the city would work? anyone ever tried that?

What do you mean by clay in the city?

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

jbwphoto1

I've heard some say they let their clay dry and others say they cover theirs with a plastic cap. Hmmmm. Could it be another one of those things that works well either way just depending on your hair, its porosity and such things?

jbwphoto1

So yesterday I went ahead and ordered my first Terrestrials mud wash. :lick: I got the lavender and the spice. I ordered along with Miss Super Natural :afro: at work and went halves on the shipping. She said it normally takes a week to arrive.

Jobwright

I've heard some say they let their clay dry and others say they cover theirs with a plastic cap. Hmmmm. Could it be another one of those things that works well either way just depending on your hair, its porosity and such things?

I don't let it dry on my dd's hair. When I think one of the twists are drying too much, I spray with water to keep it most while I finish the rest of her head. Then put a plastic cap on while I prepare the shower, put the towel and clips away, etc. I saw someone on YouTube go under the dryer with the mud and a plastic cap. That a little over the top in my opinion.

jbwphoto1

I don't let it dry on my dd's hair. When I think one of the twists are drying too much, I spray with water to keep it most while I finish the rest of her head. Then put a plastic cap on while I prepare the shower, put the towel and clips away, etc. I saw someone on YouTube go under the dryer with the mud and a plastic cap. That a little over the top in my opinion.

Jobwright, I was thinking the mud needed to be wet, but notice on the Terrestrials website in the information about detoxing it's mentioned to speed up the process by letting the mud bake.

So maybe after I detox, I can go under the steamer. Thanks!