MSM Mystery Solved --- (Maybe...) LONG

Chichi

I was puzzled by MSM so I decided to do some digging. I heard how some raved about MSM and wondered why I wasn't getting the same resluts even though I was using it too. These results were: softer, silkier new growth, and a faster rate of growth to name a few. Hmmm...

So I think I have the mystery solved (and I am going out on a limb here but I would like to hear back from those who have used MSM).

Here is my discovery: you have to use OptiMSM to get good results. MSM was discovered by a scientist in the 1980's (Robert J. Herschler). He patented his discovery into a brand called OptiMSM. This is the purest form. Any other MSM that you buy without that OptiMSM brand (logo) will not be guaranteed to work. It is sort of like when you go to the drugstore and find a brand name and a generic brand. The generic works but we all know that it is not really the same thing.

I used MSM from a company, that shall remain nameless. This MSM said that it was the real thing but I didn't notice softer, silkier new growth. Then a lady on the board raved about a brand called kaire MSM so I ordered it and have been taking it for 2 1/2 weeks now. I now have softer and silkier new growth and I seem to be outgrowing my trim already (see my sig). I am nine weeks post relaxer. Before taking this OptiMSM my hairdresser told me to get a retouch at 12 weeks post relaxer. The way this MSM is working, I don't think that my hair will need a relaxer in another three weeks so I will have to play it by ear...

When I received my kaire MSM, I looked at the bottle and noticed the OptiMSM logo on the bottle. The proverbial light bulb went off (sort of like this
). That was it! OptiMSM is the key.

I would like to hear from those of you using MSM. Are you noticing good results without using OptiMSM? This is kind of an experiment for me

Here is a link with more info on OptiMSM:
The OptiMSM Difference

Thanks for reading and hope this helps.

Chichi

katie

I used to use 2 different MSM brands(both not OptiMSM) and got no results at all.I was convinced the whole MSM craze was just hyped up.When I switched to Kaire it made a big difference.You may be onto something.

karezone

Right now I am using Puritan's Pride MSM in combonation with other supplements and have been experiencing the phenomenom. I take 2000 mg a day with orange juice. The 1-1.5 inches of new growth that I have right now is so smooth and sleek feeling that I am amazed. Last time I had braids the new growth was very rough looking and I ended up taking out my braids at about 5-6 weeks instead of 8 because they looked so bad.

I don't know if there is a difference in brands but MSM is working for me.

Isis

Thank you Chichi for the link and post. I checked my NOW brand of MSM and it has that GMP trademark on the front (as mentioned in your link) with information stating it is using Lignisul MSM because of its high purity levels.
So I wonder if Lignisul MSM is as good as OptiMSM...

Here is the GMP info:

VANCOUVER, Wash., October 9, 2000 — Following an "A" compliance rating, Cardinal Nutrition recently became the first and only manufacturer of MSM to be awarded the coveted Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) certification from National Nutritional Foods Association. "We have always prided ourselves as having one of the industry´s premier manufacturing facilities in terms of technology, MSM production expertise and overall quality control," said George Bergstrom, founder and president of Cardinal Nutrition. "Since we are the primary manufacturer and not just a broker, our goal has always been to set the industry standard for MSM quality and consistency." Companies applying for an NNFA GMP certification receive an "A", "B" or "C" compliance rating following a rigorous review of their personnel, plant and ground, sanitation, equipment, quality operations, production and process controls. It also reviews warehouse, distribution and post-distribution practices.

Bergstrom said that to achieve the GMP certification, an interdisciplinary team of Cardinal Nutrition employees created an MSM Quality Manual documenting every detail of the company´s production and quality control processes. He also noted that since Cardinal Nutrition´s manufacturing facility is the only one in the world devoted exclusively to the production of MSM it was very important to demonstrate this leadership role and high level of product quality. The GMP certification is the latest in a series of market leadership achievements for Cardinal Nutrition. The company has always provided licensed and patented material to its customers, and was the first MSM manufacturer to perform third party testing on every batch of product to ensure quality. Cardinal Nutrition was also the first to offer Kosher certified MSM. "As the market leader we have always felt a certain responsibility to raise the MSM production bar," concluded Bergstrom. "We provide our customers with more than lip service about quality. We document it."

mly3e

The comb is stuck.
I read once that the only difference between Linguisil and Opti is that one was made on the west coast and one was made on the east coast. They are both the best. Sorry if this is already posted. My head hurts to much to read anything .

Isis

How long have you been using your OptiMSM YuNg? Also, I don't see vitamin C in your regime. It must be taken at the same time with MSM, 1/2 the amount of mg of your MSM. So it's 500 mg of vitamin C per every 1000 mg of MSM you are taking. It works in synergy with MSM.
And are you drinking a lot of water each day?

ChasingBliss

ChiChi, it's good that you are doing your research and all but for me, it's only making me more confused. Here's why. When I had the GNC one, it did not have the Optimsm logo, yet it visibly worked well for me. I saw many changes in body and hair. It also didnt pass the float test. When it ran out, I bought the Vitamin Shoppe brand and it has the Optimsm logo, yet many can testify here that it did not pass this float test either. Ive just decided to stick with what I have until I am absolutely sure after more research which one is pure. I will most likely be looking into the powder though. But I must say, once again that GNC failed both times, yet it was quite good to me. I had a friend of mine do a real check on my new growth and she measured 3/4 of an inch in the front and slightly more than an inch in the back. My hair was lightly sprayed with water to see the new growth more clearly. Turns out I was totally wrong about my new growth thinking it was less. This was in a span of 5 weeks. Ive never grown my hair that fast (although I read others have grown faster) and I have been completely faithful to the bun challenge so my ends are so well preserved that the trim line is still there from my trim 6 weeks ago. I feel like for the first time in my life I will reach my goal. Sorry for the rambling.

aqualung

Hmm.
Maybe I should have another go at MSM if 4b people are noticing faster new growth and softer textures...

Right now, the Vitamin Shoppe's MSM powder (454 grams of optiMSM in a jar) is on sale (50% off) for $20. I could mix a 1/2 teaspoon with with my protein powder and fruit juice each day.

pooh123

Chichi this was a very interesting post. Thanks for doing the research. I have the NOW MSM and it has the GMP symbol. Maybe I'll do what Megonw does and mix it in my protein powder. I haven't used it in a while.

pooh123

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
CICI24 said:
Lingnusil and optiMSM is the same thing under different names

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you! It's good to know they are the same.

YuNg

its 500 mg of vitamin c in my ultra hair. I've been taking OptiMSM since january at 1000mg and about a little over a month i upped it to 2000mg because of the reviews i saw on here yet im not experiencing the same. I drink Taco bell cup full of water like 4 times a day. I dont notice any difference except going to the bathroom more often

Shinka

i wish I knew rhis before I bought the CVs brands. I stopped taking it because I didn't see any results. I've just resuted to taking my mulit and flaxseed and eating well.

Tara

I was taking the Jarrow's brand MSM powder and it is OptiMSM, but it didn't work for me

Well, at least I don't see any difference with the hair on my head. Especially for the amount I take, I was sure I'd have a growth spurt, lol!! I've been taking it for a little over a month and a half, if not two fulll months. But this happened when I took the Jarrow's pill MSM too, NOTHING! LOL!! So it could be that Jarrow's is not the brand for me.

I just ordered Trimedica brand, and I'll see how that works.

CurlyMoo

Updates????? I'm taking the Safeway brand I got from a grocery store. What brand do you guys recommend or should I just keep using what I have?

mswoman

Keep in mind you should space pills out at least 2 hours a part. Your body absorbs what it can and the other it allows to leave the body. Therefore taking more the the regular dose will not do any good if taken at the same time.

Also one cup of water per vitamin seems like you got that under control.

its 500 mg of vitamin c in my ultra hair. I've been taking OptiMSM since january at 1000mg and about a little over a month i upped it to 2000mg because of the reviews i saw on here yet im not experiencing the same. I drink Taco bell cup full of water like 4 times a day. I dont notice any difference except going to the bathroom more often

CurlyMoo

Keep in mind you should space pills out at least 2 hours a part. Your body absorbs what it can and the other it allows to leave the body. Therefore taking more the the regular dose will not do any good if taken at the same time.

Also one cup of water per vitamin seems like you got that under control.

Thank you for this because I am taking double my dose at once. Now I will spread them out.

CurlyMoo

I was taking the Jarrow's brand MSM powder and it is OptiMSM, but it didn't work for me

Well, at least I don't see any difference with the hair on my head. Especially for the amount I take, I was sure I'd have a growth spurt, lol!! I've been taking it for a little over a month and a half, if not two fulll months. But this happened when I took the Jarrow's pill MSM too, NOTHING! LOL!! So it could be that Jarrow's is not the brand for me.

I just ordered Trimedica brand, and I'll see how that works.

Ok just bought Jarrow OptiMSM powder, my pills didn't work so I hope I get better results with the powder with 2,000mg a day. I don't have vit C yet.

bedazzled

you have to use msm with biotin, or else it won't work to its full potential period. Not only that but you need a B (for the biotin) and C Vitamin (for the msm) that will aid its way into the body properly breaking it down & assisting with making sure the body actually uses the msm and biotin and not just peeing it out. This is no different than taking calcium supplements with no magnesium. Your body doesn't digest calcium plain. Thats why it is good to take a multi vitamin if youre deciding to take a specific supplement. If you take a multivitamin on the side you know your MAIN supplement is atleast being used within the body & not just peeing it out. Not to mention, with MSM it takes sometimes up to 2 months before you will even know its affecting your hair growth. With vitamins, your body will replenish the area within you that needs it the most and so it will get the nutrition provided by the vitamin FIRST. When I took MSM, it took me about 6 weeks to notice a difference with my hair. My the 2nd month of MSM I had gained 1 inch of growth and I was gaining tons until I quit out of laziness. The MSM turned my 4a hair into 3c, and my 4b hair in 4a. Not only that but I took MSM from June - August of 08, and even now in Sept 09, I find some 3c (used to be 4a area)and even 3b (WTH??) strands. Hope this helped.

cocoagirl

ok so you should take 1/2 the mg of Vitamin C of your daily intake of MSM. How much B-complex or Vitamin B should you take per Biotin? And it seems like for those that are starting out it is advisable to start with 500mg of MSM and work your way up to..? what is the consensus 2000mg? And if we are taking a powder form do you take half your intake of MSM and then 2 hours later take the other half and in the meantime (b/w 2 hours) take Vitamin C, biotin and B complex? With 4 different things to take, I am trying to get this all in order. tia!

Avyn

I found that MSM I was taking made my hair courser and my growth seemed to actually slow. I stopped taking it and my hair started to grow back in softer and shinier. I don't know if I want to try taking it again.

KinkyRed

ok this may be a stupid question, but i really need to know:: Is this the vitamin MSM that you get for joint pain? I picked up a bottle at Walmart, it said MSM on front, but it was for joint health. I went ahead and brought it cause I didn't see anything else named MSM. What are the pills sussposed to look like?