MSM and leg clots

spelmanlocks

I started taking MSM last month because I was interested in seeing if it would help out my hair growth. I had read that it had few side effects although I did read that some people had headaches from it and that it could stop or delay your period. However, I developed a superficial leg clot ( a clot thats not directly in the vein) around the time I started taking MSM. So I stopped taking the MSM and it went away. Well I wasn't sure if it was the MSM that made me get the leg clot or PMS. So I took an MSM pill today and sure enough I can feel my veins hardening in my leg. Obviously I am going to stop taking MSM for good now. Has this happened to anyone here? Could this mean that I am allergic to sulphur? Or could it have anything to do with the brand Good n' natural?

Also, I did go to the doctor before I took it and she said she didn't see any problems with me taking it.

Last edited:

LaReyna756

I actually thought MSM caused thinning of the blood, not clotting. Were you taking it consistently? Report back if you find anything.

spelmanlocks

The first time it happened within the first week of me taking MSM after that I stopped taking it. That was about a month ago. I took MSM again today and I noticed the vein swelling is coming back tonight.

LaReyna756

I recently started MSM and that scares me. I stopped taking birth control because of an increased risk for clotting. Thanks for posting this--i'll be sure to look into this some more.

bklynLadee

I haven't gotten on the MSM bandwagon yet but I do know that women say that you MUST up your water intake!!!

Perhaps you didnt do that??? If you did then id definately stay away from it. I mean Im not suggesting you start now because there is obviously a risk...but maybe that was the reason.

gymfreak336

Try upping your water intake and lowering your dose. If you still feel you veins hardening, STOP taking it and check with your doctor again.

alexstin

Interesting because I've read that msm causes blood thinning as well. I guess you shouldn't take it.

spelmanlocks

Yes, I was sure to drink plenty of water daily. I always fill up a water bottle at work and make sure I get though it. I just plan to stop taking MSM since I don't know if these side effects are dangerous or not. The only thing it did do was make my skin clear during the first time that I took it. I did read on here that MSM supposedly works as a blood thinner.