Most Potent Natural Protein Treatment?

Best Natural Protein

• Total voters

that_1_grrrl

I am trying to use mostly natural products in my hair, just because my hair seems to agree with anything natural. I am afraid to rock the boat by adding things like Aphogee to my regimen. Plus, I am broke and using natural products is so much cheaper and easier for me. :)

So, when I do decide to do a protein treatment, which natural product is the best?

-Egg?
-Mayo?
-Yogurt?
-Avocado?
-Milk (I once heard this was protein)?

Or should I just make a real good mix?

I also plan to buy silk amino acids in the future (I really like experimenting, lol)!

Last edited:

Libra08

I did an egg and EVOO treatment back in the day and it was great. I got the recipe from Motowngirl's website. Someone in the thread about gelatin also mentioned that you could use unflavored gelatin powder as a substitute for the aphogee 2 step protein treatment.

that_1_grrrl

I did an egg and EVOO treatment back in the day and it was great. I got the recipe from Motowngirl's website. Someone in the thread about gelatin also mentioned that you could use unflavored gelatin powder as a substitute for the aphogee 2 step protein treatment.

Yeah, Motowngirl has some awesome recipes. I haven't visited that site in months, so I think I will go over there and re-read some of them. Thanks for the gelatin heads up too. I think I will pick some of that up too (geez, my hair eats more food than I do).

guyanesesista

For me that would be raw aloe gel. When I use it my hair comes out very hard and strong and I don't even have to go under the dryer or use a shower. I just slap it on and leave it for 10 to 15 minutes. It has like 18 amino acids in it so IMO that would explain the effectit has in hair. Be careful to strain it or something before using cuz lots of bits and pieces will be left in your head and it will be a pain to get out.

HoneyDew

Yogurt contains a larger protein content than eggs.....

So true. I use a cup of Fage Total Yogurt in my henna treatment. I love that it has 14 g of protein and 20 g of fat (would never eat it! lol). It is good for my hair.

I do still add in hydrolyzed protein though.

that_1_grrrl

So true. I use a cup of Fage Total Yogurt in my henna treatment. I love that it has 14 g of protein and 20 g of fat (would never eat it! lol). It is good for my hair.

Great! Eggs would probably be too messy anyway.

For me that would be raw aloe gel. When I use it my hair comes out very hard and strong and I don't even have to go under the dryer or use a shower. I just slap it on and leave it for 10 to 15 minutes. It has like 18 amino acids in it so IMO that would explain the effectit has in hair. Be careful to strain it or something before using cuz lots of bits and pieces will be left in your head and it will be a pain to get out.

Hmm... I had no idea that aloe had protein in it.

loveable37

SHINE PROTEIN in pak
olive oil
sometimes
aphogee mixed in
warm it up apply to hair all nite or couple hours

HairGurl

I voted eggs. It always feels like I'm doing an aphogee treatment when I use eggs.:drunk: I've been wanting to try yogurt...How are you ladies using the yogurt?

darlingdiva

Like you, I have fine hair.

I do a mayo treatment once a month & it works pretty well for softness & strength.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Thanks for the thread OP. I was wondering this myself. Eggs are messy and I'm not sure they are doing the job for me. I bought some Chobani Plain Non Fat Greek Yogurt today. It has 23g of protein. So of course I need to thank Samanthajones67 and Honeydew for their knowledge too.

that_1_grrrl

Thanks for the thread OP. I was wondering this myself. Eggs are messy and I'm not sure they are doing the job for me. I bought some Chobani Plain Non Fat Greek Yogurt today. It has 23g of protein. So of course I need to thank Samanthajones67 and Honeydew for their knowledge too.

Ooo, 23g of protein?! Where'd you find it?

shtow

I need to try yogurt. I was having some breakage so I did my usual egg treatment. 1 big handful of Mizani Moisturfuse and 2 eggs with some evoo. Stopped the breakage right in its tracks. Strong and soft hair every time!! I dont know why people have problems with this....I slap it on, throw on a plastic cap, and sit under the dryer for 15 mins. Then I rinse with warm water, let shampoo sit for a few minutes and rinse with hot water. This is the most effective protein I have ever tried.

HoneyDew

Ladies, if you try plain yogurt, don't hesitate to try a full fat one.

I got that idea from Henna Sooq.

The full fat is good for hair.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Patricia I saw that at the store too and contemplated getting it based on a thread here at LHCF but I hear it darkens your hair. I love my reddish brown hair and do not want it darkened.

HoneyDew

I need to try yogurt. I was having some breakage so I did my usual egg treatment. 1 big handful of Mizani Moisturfuse and 2 eggs with some evoo. Stopped the breakage right in its tracks. Strong and soft hair every time!! I dont know why people have problems with this....I slap it on, throw on a plastic cap, and sit under the dryer for 15 mins. Then I rinse with warm water, let shampoo sit for a few minutes and rinse with hot water. This is the most effective protein I have ever tried.

And I think I would like to try eggs.

mkd

I like egg mixed with conditioner. It really stopped my breaking and my hair was so strong. Last night I mixed an egg and an avocado with conditioner and I liked that too. My hair is super soft. I DC afterwards with banana brulee. I think I like the avocado mixed with egg because it seemed to leave my hair a lot softer. I think I will try yogurt next time.

Carrie A

I didn't see this thread. Hey OP have you tried any other the protein conditioners from natural lines like Oyin? I asked the question but no dice.

ToyToy

I voted yogurt (never used eggs, though). I usually mix yogurt with some conditioner, coconut milk, some EVOO and a smidgen of honey. Works like a charm :grin: and makes my hair supersoft and strong. Best (light) protein treatment I ever had.

Tyra

Wow, that's good to know. Eggs are strong enough already. If yogurt is better I can only imagine. As far as application...just plain? Or do you add it to your conditioner?

KhandiB

I used to use eggs with EVOO and Mayo .. It stops breakage in its tracks, BUT, remember to use cool water to rinse your hair, in my experience, I end up with scrambled egg in my hair if I use water that is too hot.

I may try the Aloe, just saw some at the grocery store, only 1.99 each leaf . And HoneyDew gave me the Yogurt and Henna idea…

Tyra

I voted yogurt (never used eggs, though). I usually mix yogurt with some conditioner, coconut milk, some EVOO and a smidgen of honey. Works like a charm :grin: and makes my hair supersoft and strong. Best (light) protein treatment I ever had.

There's the answer I needed! Thanx

btrflyrose

I add yogurt to my henna each time as well. :yep:
Yogurt, EVOO, coconut milk and ACV. My hair loves it.