More Photos From The African American Girl With Long Hair - Youtube

jamaraa

I think her hair is absolutely gorgeous....length, thickness...everything.

HOWEVER, I will say that I am slightly bother by her video titles..."THE AFRICAN AMERICAN GIRL WITH LONG HAIR." My biggest problem is with the use of the word The like she is the only one or super rare. I mean, personally I think that she could have highlighted her gorgeous hair without making it seem like it is super rare to find African American women with long hair...it just seems like a title like that in a public forum like YouTube just continues to reinforce ignorant perceptions that some African Americans and others have about our hair. JMHO.

Her hair IS super rare...let's face it.

From a statistical standpoint, her hair length is rare for ANYONE, much less for someone of African descent. It is indeed SUPER RARE to find hair of that length in people of African descent (or any other), esp in the West.
Hair of that length in people of African descent is usually seen in the form of dread locks. That her hair is unlocked and that long is incredibly rare.

As for the perceptions about Black hair, wouldn't you say that her hair kind of DISPROVES that considering she's clearly not mixed race? That's why she emphasized being AA. Her hair is the extreme in terms of length for almost anyone. Tho several people say they'd like their that long, it's hardly practical for most even if they actually get it...esp. if they do. She's a young girl who has a mother to care for it.

There are many Black women (here at this site and elsewhere) who have, by anyone's standards, long LOOSE hair. This girl's hair length is achievable for a few, but I think most would find that much hair hard to manage, esp loose hair.

Why should we care what others think anyway? Black hair grows despite what others think.

cmw45

Her hair IS super rare...let's face it.

From a statistical standpoint, her hair length is rare for ANYONE, much less for someone of African descent. It is indeed SUPER RARE to find hair of that length in people of African descent (or any other), esp in the West.
Hair of that length in people of African descent is usually seen in the form of dread locks. That her hair is unlocked and that long is incredibly rare.

As for the perceptions about Black hair, wouldn't you say that her hair kind of DISPROVES that considering she's clearly not mixed race? That's why she emphasized being AA. Her hair is the extreme in terms of length for almost anyone. Tho several people say they'd like their that long, it's hardly practical for most even if they actually get it...esp. if they do. She's a young girl who has a mother to care for it.

There are many Black women (here at this site and elsewhere) who have, by anyone's standards, long LOOSE hair. This girl's hair length is achievable for a few, but I think most would find that much hair hard to manage, esp loose hair.

Why should we care what others think anyway? Black hair grows despite what others think.

I understand what you are saying. I really do. However, I just don't happen to agree. The use of the word "The" in front of 'African American' denotes connotations that are not necessairly there had the video read differently. For example, "An African American Girl..."

To put this another way, what if I posted a video entitled, "The African American girl with the really high SAT score." I mean, if my SAT score puts me in the top 10% of all test takers and the top 1% of all African American American test takers does that mean I am justified in making the statement? Should I take it as a compliment if someone was to say, "Gee golly gosh, you did real well for an African American." I mean technically he's right...I did. And I mean...why should I care what others think anyway? Blacks will continue to score well despite what others think? :look:

jamaraa

Well, it's up to you how you'd choose to take that wrt SAT, but frankly I think there's no comparison. To me, hair is not an achievement, it's a biological function that's helped or harmed by what you do to it. IOW, hair will grow no matter what. There are probably 100,000 (being generous) people in USA w/ hair of that length (mostly because it isn't considered an ideal in the West)...thigh length. I seriously doubt that 500 (being generous) of them are AA people UNDER 18. So she's probably quite justified using the word THE followed by AA GIRL....but she's 12 years old, 12. I think you're being too nitpicky over the word THE, but it is probably closer to accurate than not. It certainly is for You Tube posts.

In terms of numbers, not emotions, are there any other pictures of AA girls w/ two Black parents online who have this length of hair*?

Again, why should one care what others think? So what if "they" don't think most AAs score well or have long hair. It's what YOU do that matters. If one is sitting around waiting for someone else's approval or pat on back, that's gonna be a long wait.

*loose..ie undreadlocked length

Last edited:

CurlyMoo

I think her hair is absolutely gorgeous....length, thickness...everything.

HOWEVER, I will say that I am slightly bother by her video titles..."THE AFRICAN AMERICAN GIRL WITH LONG HAIR." My biggest problem is with the use of the word The like she is the only one or super rare. I mean, personally I think that she could have highlighted her gorgeous hair without making it seem like it is super rare to find African American women with long hair...it just seems like a title like that in a public forum like YouTube just continues to reinforce ignorant perceptions that some African Americans and others have about our hair. JMHO.

:look: Well it is rare. How many african american girls are running around with hip length braids at age 12? This video and how it was posted is her choice. Yes it will be wonderful when we reach that point in life when we could just see ourselves as people and there is no need to put the title African American......And when I reach tail bone I will one of those people. When I do a search for long hair for black women that is one of the titles that pop up. I don't have a problem with it because it helps to make a quick video search.

LongCurlyLocks

That's it, I'm ordering my Mega Tek tomorrow!!! I WANT her hair!!! Maybe not quite that long but almost!!!

I love the video of her with the long braids. She looks like a little Indian girl...

miss_a

i find the video: interesting.

i appreciate her shoutout--giving encouragement to black women, in terms of growing our hair to her current length.

but quite honestly, her current regiment may have allowed her to obtain mega length; however, even if her routine was subpar--she would probably still have longer hair than 90% of the population.

similar to jay--you can't knock the hustle err hair.

Neith

i find the video: interesting.

i appreciate her shoutout--giving encouragement to black women, in terms of growing our hair to her current length.

but quite honestly, her current regiment may have allowed her to obtain mega length; however, even if her routine was subpar--she would probably still have longer hair than 90% of the population.

similar to jay--you can't knock the hustle err hair.

Why do you think that?

I feel that people nitpicking over the use of the word "the" is a little ridiculous.

This is a video on youtube, not the end all, tell all story of the world. OF COURSE she doesn't think she is the only girl with very long hair or the only one capable of growing it. Does anyone really think that?

It's another example of people making nonissues issues :nono:

No offense to anyone :ohwell:

MissNina

Libra Girl
That's what I'm talking about! Focus on the bigger things at hand :lachen:

That Range Rover was calling my damn name. . .

Irresistible

No girl, that was Vaseline not Mega tek :grin:

I swear Im'a just walk around with one braid all day every day soon

I love her braid!
That's it, I'm ordering my Mega Tek tomorrow!!! I WANT her hair!!! Maybe not quite that long but almost!!!

I love the video of her with the long braids. She looks like a little Indian girl...

Irresistible

your right but its only this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnULN8DJwH0

I see what people are saying about that, but I feel like you, its a non issue I REALLY dont think she was trying to send that msg at all

but when on youtube, everything must be done politically correct , or one will get called on it :ohwell:
She does in like 2 or 3 of them.

Can't see why that would be such a big deal anyways
. :rolleyes: Especially with the added fact that not all of them have "the" in it.

Last edited:

jamaraa

however, even if her routine was subpar--she would probably still have longer hair than 90% of the population.

I don't think so. Many, if not a majority, of Black girls in America have been relaxed for some time before they reach her age...many White girls her age have used color (either boxed or lightened via lemon juice/sun). If she did the same stuff preteens these days do or have done to them, her hair would be as jacked as most of their's is! More, tho I won't say many, Black girls could have that length IF their mothers started out caring for it properly. Many more could have unstretched "BSL" (LOL..in quotes cuz we're talking pre bra girls) or even waist length, if their parents started early.

I've never seen anyone of any race w/ hair that looks THAT good w/o much care even if the regime is simple. I have nearly that much hair, tho I'm MUCH taller, and it won't happen w/ a subpar routine. The longer your hair gets, the easier it tangles which leads to breakage and so on. Trust me, that hair is hardly ever worn down or else she wouldn't have it.

Her length isn't about "grade of hair" that whole 3abcsz system or just genetics (tho that plays some part), but that she has someone who takes the time to do it all. The mother clearly has techniques and the videos haven't addressed those yet. How does she wash her hair, does she style it while dry, how does she dry it, etc....she has to set aside a ton of time for wash day. Then there's daily care.

Last edited:

Irresistible

I don't think so. Many, if not a majority, of Black girls in America have been relaxed for some time before they reach her age...many White girls her age have used color (either boxed or lightened via lemon juice/sun). If she did the same stuff preteens these days do or have done to them, her hair would be as jacked as most of their's is! More, tho I won't say many, Black girls could have that length IF their mothers started out caring for it properly. Many more could have unstretched "BSL" (LOL..in quotes cuz we're talking pre bra girls) or even waist length, if their parents started early.

I've never seen anyone of any race w/ hair that looks THAT good w/o much care even if the regime is simple. I have nearly that much hair, tho I'm MUCH taller, and it won't happen w/ a subpar routine. The longer your hair gets, the easier it tangles which leads to breakage and so on. Trust me, that hair is hardly ever worn down or else she wouldn't have it.

Her length isn't about "grade of hair" that whole 3abcsz system or just genetics (tho that plays some part), but that she has someone who takes the time to do it all. The mother clearly has techniques and the videos haven't addressed those yet. How does she wash her hair, does she style it while dry, how does she dry it, etc....she has to set aside a ton of time for wash day. Then there's daily care.
I would like to know her routine , and products she uses :yep:

that_1_grrrl

Wow, a google search brought me to this thread. I really missed something! All the videos in this post have been deleted.

Does anyone know if this girl still had videos out there?

winnettag

Wow, a google search brought me to this thread. I really missed something! All the videos in this post have been deleted.

Does anyone know if this girl still had videos out there?

The videos are all gone :sad:
The mother of the girl was a member here, but she left recently :sad:

Last edited:

winnettag

Oh, so this was an LHCF member? A lot of what was written was kind of vague. I thought it was a video of a little girl with long hair. Hmm...

I believe she joined after a lot of the comments she got from the video.
It was a video of her daughter who was 13, I believe, and had thigh length hair.
There were some disagreements over the use of vaseline on her hair, but it worked for her! I even tried it recently and was impressed with the results.