Votes: 11 68.8%
  • NO

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Maybe/Not sure

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LucieLoo12

i personally dont like the song....it just sounds "clubby" to me...its the beat that through me off with it. i dont know what he meant by "shake heaven", but then again i didnt listen to the whole song either:ohwell:

FYI, just because I dont like the song doesnt mean he wasnt sincere and really giving God praise from his heart.. I just wouldnt listen to it in my MP3...:look:

Last edited:

Iwanthealthyhair67

I feel the same way about the words 'shake heaven' this earth is what will be shaken...

Over the last few years I really listen to the words of a song...sometimes the beat and chorus of the song can through you off because they 'sound' good but listen to the whole song ...

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Alicialynn86.. I appreciate your post..well said. :yep:

I'm not trying to persuade anyone to like this song. I actually like it, being the music lover I am. :lol: For me it's more the lyrics and the message in it, than the video, who is singing it, etc. I'd heard the song on the radio first and liked it. The vid is not what I'd expected; but I've learned to pick my battles..:look: He is a worship leader, whose ministry is geared toward the youths, like Canton Jones.

I came across this quote from Montell on the Shake Heaven title. His church is in Norcross, GA:

Victory World Music, the music division of Victory World Church, has released Shake Heaven, the first single off the album of the same title, featuring its worship pastor, former R&B star Montell Jordan, and up-and-coming Christian R&B star Beckah Shae. Shake Heaven, the church’s first studio album, drops August 23 across the United States.

Jordan, who enjoyed a Billboard Hot 100 #1 hit with This is How We Do It in the 90s, is clearly enjoying his new season. In an interview with New Release Tuesday, Jordan says his “only objective at Victory and with this project is to create an atmosphere of worship where God truly inhabits the praises of His people.” With more than 105 nationalities worshiping at Victory World Church, it certainly would appear that Jordan is poised to make that happen.

“What I did in music from a worldly perspective I wanted to do better and bigger for Christ,” he says, “What I did in the world was make songs that made you want to party, want to dance and want to put your hands up. Now, I want to make that type of song for God’s glory. That’s how we came up with this song, “Shake Heaven.” What’s funny is that the song includes the lyrics, “I’m gonna shake Heaven, this is how we do it.” I told Jack and Beckah (Shae) that I didn’t want to include those words and they said, “You have to!” It just seemed to fit perfectly how God brought me out of the world and gave us a song that brings glory to Christ.”

Source: http://www.gannsdeen.com/2011/06/25/shake-heaven-montell-jordan-and-beckah-shae-victory-world-music/

LucieLoo12

True, but if a song reminds me of something I listened to when i was in the world, I cant get into it...ive tried to, but I cant..When I listen to music I like to meditate and think on whats its saying, but if the beat and rthymn is reminding me of some old jam and bringing back memories, ummmm...then yea, its not gone work lol..but this is just me personally..:yep:

I feel the same way about the words 'shake heaven' this earth is what will be shaken...

Over the last few years I really listen to the words of a song...sometimes the beat and chorus of the song can through you off because they 'sound' good but listen to the whole song ...

Iwanthealthyhair67

I'm glad you posted this...

I was trying to remember eaxctly what he said when he was on TBN earlier this year I think or maybe late last year..but I'll paraphrase based on my recollection...

with regard to his music; he said that he was done with the world and never wanted to sing 'those' songs again...

the problem lies in whom we align ourselves with as christians unfortuantely, most of these producers, promoters, managers, sound people et al are not saved or have now compromised themselves for the 'world'

what I would hate to see happen if he was to fall into the same pattern of say Trinitee 3-5-7 who said that they are trying to make gospel music more appealing, smh

@Alicialynn86.. I appreciate your post..well said. :yep:

I'm not trying to persuade anyone to like this song. I actually like it, being the music lover I am. :lol: For me it's more the lyrics and the message in it, than the video, who is singing it, etc. I'd heard the song on the radio first and liked it. The vid is not what I'd expected; but I've learned to pick my battles..:look: He is a worship leader, whose ministry is geared toward the youths, like Canton Jones.

I came across this quote from Montell on the Shake Heaven title. His church is in Norcross, GA:

Victory World Music, the music division of Victory World Church, has released Shake Heaven, the first single off the album of the same title, featuring its worship pastor, former R&B star Montell Jordan, and up-and-coming Christian R&B star Beckah Shae. Shake Heaven, the church’s first studio album, drops August 23 across the United States.

Jordan, who enjoyed a Billboard Hot 100 #1 hit with This is How We Do It in the 90s, is clearly enjoying his new season. In an interview with New Release Tuesday, Jordan says his “only objective at Victory and with this project is to create an atmosphere of worship where God truly inhabits the praises of His people.” With more than 105 nationalities worshiping at Victory World Church, it certainly would appear that Jordan is poised to make that happen.

“What I did in music from a worldly perspective I wanted to do better and bigger for Christ,” he says, “What I did in the world was make songs that made you want to party, want to dance and want to put your hands up. Now, I want to make that type of song for God’s glory. That’s how we came up with this song, “Shake Heaven.” What’s funny is that the song includes the lyrics, “I’m gonna shake Heaven, this is how we do it.” I told Jack and Beckah (Shae) that I didn’t want to include those words and they said, “You have to!” It just seemed to fit perfectly how God brought me out of the world and gave us a song that brings glory to Christ.”

Source: http://www.gannsdeen.com/2011/06/25/shake-heaven-montell-jordan-and-beckah-shae-victory-world-music/

Last edited:

LucieLoo12

I feel out the loop:ohwell:, I didnt even know Montle Jordan did gospel music? When did this happen? Is he strictly gospel or secular too?

cinnespice

Hello is me your looking for?
I do like that song its been out for awhile. There is a channel on direct tv called gmc and they play different types of gospel music and that's a video that is played quite a bit. Some of the music that is played might sound a little bit more secular but the messages behind it are christian.

Iwanthealthyhair67

'Smile' by Kirk Franklin (he's famous for borrowining lyrics and music from worldly songs) I get the 'message', but there's a part of the song that both tune and music is taken from an old hit by the S.O.S. Band, 'Tell Me If You Still Care', ...When I start to sing along and get to the part where the music changes I'm sorry but I immediatley think S.O.S. Band ...

Sometimes if I'm in the grocery store and I hear an old song I can tell you how that song made me feel and exactly what I was doing 20 years ago when I first heard it...Some of those memories I don't wish to relive, they don't need to be dug up by a 'gospel' song...

I get it, I do understand what some of them (Gospel Artists) are trying to do but I think we need to remember our job is to lift God up in the earth and HE not us, will draw men to Him...

MamaBear2012

I feel out the loop:ohwell:, I didnt even know Montle Jordan did gospel music? When did this happen? Is he strictly gospel or secular too?

Yep. He's strictly gospel now and "retired" from secular music at the beginning of this year.

He attends my church and I know his family well, so I'm probably biased, but yeah, I like the song. :lachen: We sing it at my church.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
'Smile' by Kirk Franklin (he's famous for borrowining lyrics and music from worldly songs) I get the 'message', but there's a part of the song that both tune and music is taken from an old hit by the S.O.S. Band, 'Tell Me If You Still Care', ...When I start to sing along and get to the part where the music changes I'm sorry but I immediatley think S.O.S. Band ...

Sometimes if I'm in the grocery store and I hear an old song I can tell you how that song made me feel and exactly what I was doing 20 years ago when I first heard it...

Some of those memories I don't wish to relive, they don't need to be dug up by a 'gospel' song...

I get it, I do understand what some of them (Gospel Artists) are trying to do but I think we need to remember our job is to lift God up in the earth and HE not us, will draw men to Him...

:yep::yep::yep: @ the bolded. I was in Burlington Coat Factory and sure enough a song came on and you could see so many of the customers moving their heads to the rhythm and singing the songs.

I was 'singing' and my head was moving too :blush3: Music has a lot of power.

Iwanthealthyhair67

^^lol, it sure does....

who is prince of the powers of air (imo waves included)...again and who was who we believe to be the chief musician ...

Shimmie

Staff member
^^lol, it sure does....

who is prince of the powers of air (imo waves included)...again and who was who we believe to be the chief musician ...

:yep::yep::yep: Amen... Tell it... :yep: You've spoken nothing but the truth.:yep:

Ezekiel 28:12-18

"Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty."

13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.

14 Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire."

This is not an earthly king, as the word "cherub" is only used in references to angels.

15 "Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee."

16 By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.

17 Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee.

18 Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.

Big Note:

Just in case someone reads the scripture that I posted and wonders... :scratchch:

I'm not implying that Montell Jordan's music is of the enemy. I understand his message; his rhythm is just not my style of worship music. :yep:

If God is using him to bring the youth to Jesus Christ, we need him and others all the more. I just wish that our youth didn't need to 'Rock like the World' to love Jesus.

There are so very many, many beautiful and truly annointed worship songs that I pray that our young generation will be drawn into to experience the full presence of God in worship and in praise. I don't mind the joyful dance; my family and I love to dance; but there's a time to 'Be Still' in the presence of God and Know that He is God in the music that flows accordingly. Our youth needs this, there has to be a balance for the fullness of God to flow and for them to know who God truly is.

Yet, that's just 'me' ... :yep:

Big Note 2: I never heard of Montell until I read this thread... :blush3:

Last edited:

Iwanthealthyhair67

I say 'believe' because the bible doesn't use the words 'choir director' or 'minister of music' like we refer to him ...but he was music

and when Ezekiel decribes him as anointed cherub that covereth...does he not mean the mercy seat..

MamaBear2012

We definitely have different styles of music at our church from "The Old Rugged Cross" to Hillsong's "All I Need is You" to songs like "Shake Heaven". Sometimes we sing acapella as a church, sometimes we have a full band, sometimes it's just music playing and we worship in our own way. We also have Victory Vida that is a service done in Spanish and the music is more of a latin flavor. We have over 100 nations represented in our church so we definitely switch up the music knowing that when we get to Heaven, it's not going to be a certain style of music. And our pastors make a point to remind people not to get caught up in a style of music. Some people may want to sing when we're singing "The Old Rugged Cross," but just stand there when we're singing a song that isn't necessarily the style that they like.

I love standing in the presence of God with people around me who may not necessarily look like me, and know that that is what Heaven will be.

Shimmie

Staff member
I say 'believe' because the bible doesn't use the words 'choir director' or 'minister of music' like we refer to him ...but he was music

and when Ezekiel decribes him as anointed cherub that covereth...does he not mean the mercy seat..

Briefly:

The Mercy Seat, No :nono:

From my understanding 'covereth' refers to his assignment of leadership. A designated 'place' (activity) that he was assigned to as leader or to be in charge of. He was 'annointed' (called out/singled out/gifted) for this assigned leadership (duty). The Mercy Seat (the symbol of the atonement of Jesus) was not his assignment; it was spoken of with the instructions for building the Ark of the Covenant.

Hope this makes sense. I hope I understood your question correctly.

I apologize again for going off topic...

blazingthru

I enjoy this song very much, I don't want to hear it at church and it would not be in my worship service. but I enjoy the song and have no problem listening to it, while I am driving, cleaning the house, workout etc,.

Laela

Bolded... That is so true...

:yep::yep::yep: @ the bolded. I was in Burlington Coat Factory and sure enough a song came on and you could see so many of the customers moving their heads to the rhythm and singing the songs.

I was 'singing' and my head was moving too :blush3: Music has a lot of power.

Yeah, but the most High God created music... :yep:

^^lol, it sure does....

No need to apologize, it's not my thread.. lol I enjoy the conversation... hugz to you and Shimmie
!
sorry @Laela I don't mean to hijack your thread...

Laela

cam2717 thanks for sharing more about worship at Victory World church... it's good to hear from an actual member! God bless~

Prudent1

"Our youth needs this, there has to be a balance for the fullness of God to flow and for them to know who God truly is."
Shimmie,
**clears throat** And sometimes our middle-ageds need this too:look:.

:grin: That's exactly how I feel. A few generations ago our grandparents thought organ music would doom you to hell:blush:. The key is in sincere and earnest prayer to be lead by God in all things. Especially when selecting praise and worship music:yep:.

OT- Cajo / Richie Righteous/ P-Dub stan checking in...:Copy of 2cool:

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
I don't like that it reminds me of club music. I also notice that a lot of mainstream popular gospel sticks with God and love, but not specifically Jesus and not the full gospel...basically anyone could sing it and tap their feet to it.

Generally I don't believe that worship has generational characteristics. I don't think the Gospel or church has to be made more appealing. Usually that means making it conform to whatever people are used to in the world.

Sent from my LS670 using LS670

Shimmie

Staff member
"Our youth needs this, there has to be a balance for the fullness of God to flow and for them to know who God truly is."
Shimmie,

**clears throat** And sometimes our middle-ageds need this too:look:.

:grin: That's exactly how I feel. A few generations ago our grandparents thought organ music would doom you to hell:blush:. The key is in sincere and earnest prayer to be lead by God in all things. Especially when selecting praise and worship music:yep:.

OT- Cajo / Richie Righteous/ P-Dub stan checking in...:Copy of 2cool:

:amen: to the bolded. The way I 'fuss' around here, you know I agree with this.... :lol: