Moisturizing Flat Ironed Hair

Kimiche

Thanks for making this topic OP, because I have this issue as well. My hair is nice, straight and feels good right after I finish flat ironing, but after awhile my hair starts to feel dry. I was wondering if it was the cones in the serums that I use or what.

I use a dab of Evco and Evoo on sections as I flat iron. Evco is an awesome heat protectant.
It also depends on how good your flat iron is.

See I never knew this. I always thought that we couldn't use any kind of oils when we flat iron. I am trying to find an alternative to using serums with cones, because i think that's my problem when i flat iron my hair.

Last edited:

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Do you rollerset? My hair flat irons crunchy if I air dry it. But it's really nice after a rollerset.

I actually always rollerset after a shampoo, and I never have problems with dryness, because before rolling, I use a blend of Vatika and Castor Oil to seal in the moisture. My hair comes out perfectly every time.
But I couldn't leave it at that. No...I just had to have swang. :(
So this time, when I was rollersetting, (I ponytail rollerset and then flat ironed) I left out the oils, because I heard that you aren't supposed to use oils when you want to flat iron. I guess that contributed to the dryness too.

See I never knew this. I always thought that we couldn't use any kind of oils when we flat iron. I am trying to find an alternative to using serums with cones, because i think that's my problem when i flat iron my hair.

Me too!! I was afraid of frying my hair. But it seems most people are using oils with really good results.

aegis

i was just thinking about this today and got some evco. i will see how it works out for me

shunemite

(sighing out loud) I thought it was just me, I flat ironed on a Tuesday, weather was cold, and by Friday my roots had reverted. I'm gonna have to try some of these suggestions so I can at least make it through the week.

LongCurlz

All I use while my hair is flat ironed is Olive Oil, I put it throughout my hair nightly it makes my hair soft and shiny all day

hiphoprocker

whenever i flat iron, I DC first with my beloved motions dpt.. then while still damp apply aphogee keratin and green tea.. immediately apply a decent amount of Cantu Shea Butter Leave in Con.. blow dry or hood dry and flat iron.. Cantu leaves my hair sooooooo soft and moist!! even i was shocked. and it has some heat protectant properties (according to the jar)

Miss AJ

Deep conditioning with steam is good too. Because your hair has sucked up the moisture from the steam treatment it won't do too much grabbing of moisture from the air after you flat iron. I baggied after a steam deep treatment and my head wasn't near as hot as it is when I don't steam, cuz it had all the moisture it needed from my treatment.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=215663

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7zcAMcDZlE

http://hubpages.com/hub/Hair-Steamer-Hair-Treatment---Setup-and-Benefits

soulie

For Me:grin::

1) Natural Butters
2) *Light application Argan, EVOO, Avacado Oils to Seal
3) Qhemet Olive Olive Honey Hydrating Balm, Burdock Root Cream
4) Jane Carter Nourishing Cream & Nourish and Shine
5) Phyto 7 & 9

Are Great for keeping my Relaxed Hair Highly Moisturized:lick:

*will be looking into SheScentIt Moisture Mist as recommended by another relaxed head*

Definitely agreeing with the bolded!

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
Really?! *takes notes*
And it doesn't fry your hair at all or anything? And when you use the dab, do you work it up and down the section, or do you concentrate it on an area?

Sorry I took so long.
I usually DC with Evco+Evoo. If i didn't that day or if I'm starting off with dry hair, i spritz a little bit of water and then just a dabby-dab of Evco+Evoo on my palm (enough for my fingertip). I start from my precious ends and then work mY way up. My hair lasts up to 5 days because I prefer to cw or dc after wearing it out a little. hth. Unfortunately if I sweat there's a little reversion (I'm 10 weeks post and my ng hair is coarse plus my flat iron hasn't been upgraded).
hth

Last edited:

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
Are you relaxed or natural??? I prefer hair butters. Coconut oil alone is not strong enuff for my hair- so I mix it with something- & it's perfect. So a combination of mango butter (Elasta qp) & coconut oil together; or shea butter & coconut oil is perfect. Also, pure jojoba oil alone works well.

Side note: I don't know what people mean when they say put the oil on the "ends" of hair. what about the rest of your hair. I don't just put moisturizers on the ends of my hair but ALL of my hair. Otherwise it would be as dry as a desert

I dc once a week and that keeps the top pretty moist. If my hair gets dry during the week (which is rare) I cowash. I only have to moisturize and seal the lower 1/3 of my hair daily because it is the most prone to friction and breakage when worn down.

tenjoy

I flat iron oh hair that is 90% dry. I also use a maxiglide with the steam, find that this helps a lot. Make sure you DC on flat iron day, air dry instead of blowdry.

Beaute Noire

I make sure my hair is moisturized well before flat ironing or air drying my hair before flat ironing. Once my hair has been flat ironed, I use a little bit of serum each day to keep my hair nice and smooth. I just cross wrap my hair each night and put on my satin scarf. This can last me for 14 days.

^^ I do the same thing....the key is to get it moisturized the most before flatironing because the results come out much better that way.

Barbie83

I make sure my hair is moisturized well before flat ironing or air drying my hair before flat ironing. Once my hair has been flat ironed, I use a little bit of serum each day to keep my hair nice and smooth. I just cross wrap my hair each night and put on my satin scarf. This can last me for 14 days.

This is what I do also. I use a tiny dab of Elasta QP mango butter or Hairveda Whipped Cream, then seal with a good serum (I use Ion Silk Solutions or Elasta QP power drops) each night before wrapping.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
^^ I do the same thing....the key is to get it moisturized the most before flatironing because the results come out much better that way.

Next time, I will do this. Before ironing, I only put a very little bit of moisturizer. I have to figure out how to use enough to get my hair moist, but not so much that my hair is weighed down or greasy. Just wondering, what moisturizer are you using?

bgsix

You have been given great advice. One tip I've learned from watching Dontspeakdefeat's video is to emulsify (rub together) the product well before the moisturizer on your hair.

Good luck to you.

keelioness

Do any ladies use products from Jane Carter Solutions such as nourish and shine or the serum on flat ironed hair?

zzirvingj

This is pretty much what I do, too. But I'm open to using something that doesn't have water in it, if it'll truly moisturize my hair while it's pressed.

I just always thought there wasn't a real way of me being able to moisturize my hair if it wasn't a product that contained water :spinning:??.... so I haven't been bothering to put anything on it for moisture after flat ironing. The most I would use is a lil jojoba oil or olive oil or a serum for shine/protection....

Dommo

The moisture should really come from your DC and once you've straightened your hair all you really need is oil or pomade. imo.I've been using Qhemet Amla Nourishing Pomade to moisturize my hair. It has become my favorite qhemet product. It not greasy at all and really nourishes the hair and makes it so soft. Wonderful on my egdes too for flyaways and keeping them smooth and straight. I think the ingredients are only amla, coconut oil and a thickener.

PinkyD

Ok so im new to this transitioning thing, and I want to know too. So far i've used th fantasia IC Leave-In scalp treatment w/ aloe it worked ok.:ohwell:

Beaute Noire

Next time, I will do this. Before ironing, I only put a very little bit of moisturizer. I have to figure out how to use enough to get my hair moist, but not so much that my hair is weighed down or greasy. Just wondering, what moisturizer are you using?

I like to use Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Split Ends Mender and Chi Silk Infusion when my hair is damp (not wet) before blow drying. The Organix is light and creamy. I also like Hawaiian Silky Miracle Worker 14-1 when my hair is damp. And I also love to use Moroccan Oil on damp hair. For all of these I only use dime sized amounts and I only put the Chi Silk on my ends...A good leave in when hair is wet also helps me moisturize and detangle. My hair never comes out weighed down and greasy...I get that Swaaang eveyone talks about but the hair doesn't feel dry.

If my hair feels dry in between wash day then I'll just use a little more Chi....sometimes I Bantu KNot out mid week using Curly Buttercreme and that has helped to keep my strands moisturized and really curly. If I don't do the Knots then I'll do my Caruso Steam-setter which also adds moisture to my hair.

Oh and of course don't use all of these things at the same time....:grin:

1 more thing: prepooing with jajoba or evoo will add tons of moisture to the hair also...just make sure you wash it out well so the hair isn't greasy

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I use castor oil. Just a little. My hair never reverts and is never weighed down.

I'm gonna try this. My hair likes castor oil, the few times I flat-ironed, i've realised i need something heavier than a leave-in+serum. Plus, I have some already. I am sooo tryna K.I.S.S

MangaManiac

I'm definitely keeping an eye on this thread, because I have the same problem. I'm in braids most of the time, but for the few times I flat iron my hair I want to make sure that I'm not messing up my progress or taking two steps back for every step forward!

MangaManiac

Oh, forgot to add:

What I have found that works is using Organix Coconut Milk serum and doing a saran wrap treatment for 15 minutes. My hair usually comes out nicely moisturized and doesn't revert.

It does lose some of the "swang," but I think that's because I haven't quite got the technique down yet. I usually just give in and pull it back into two buns a few days after though... :/

Total Beauty

I usually don't flat iron my hair but once every 6 weeks just to get away from the protective styling for a while. After I wash and deep condition I apply my Chi Silk Infusion and let my hair air dry completely. Before I flat iron I apply just a little bit more of the Chi Silk Infusion to the dried hair and then flatiron with my Chi tools. This leaves my hair soft, bouncy and shiny. I do moisturize every night with NTM leave in conditioner (very little) and then seal it with the Argan Oil.