Moisturizing Deep Conditioner With Slip?

Sally.

I'm natural and I'm looking for an intense moisturizing deep conditioner with a lot of slip. My hair is very tangly and so washday is often a disaster where I lose a lot of hair, especially if I am clarifying (which really strips my hair). I use a detangling shampoo that really doesn't help anymore. I've tried so many deep conditioners that everyone else LOVES but is rather blah on my hair (like Joico Moisture Recovery Balm and Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk Conditioner). My favorite deep conditioner used to be one I got from Sally's by Hair Chemist called "Macadamia Oil Deep Repair Masque." That thang left my curls popping! However, Sally's changed the formula and now it does nothing for my hair. I'm on the hunt for an amazing, detangling, moisturizing deep conditioner with slip.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Boy, can I relate to your post almost word for word.

I'll be watching this thread.

I can share that I've found a shampoo bar brand that is sooooooo slippery that I can detangle with it. They make several different formulations. So far I've trialed two from the sampler I purchased. One left my hair moisturized. One left my hair SQUEAKY, SQUEAKY clean. I have a review here: https://myhairgrowthstudyexperience...f-j-r-liggetts-coconut-argan-oil-shampoo-bar/

Basically, the moisture formulation is my holy grail cleanser. I chelate once a month and use a scalp cleanser. Otherwise, no other cleanser for me.

About DCs, I've tried dozens to the point of fatigue over it. I found one with amazing slip: the Mielle Organics Babassu Oil & Mint DC one I got from Sally's. Then . . . I found the only one that gives MY hair lasting moisture: the Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Deep Penetrating Hair Treatment.

I wish the former gave me a feeling of lasting moisture. I wish the latter had amazing slip. Then I would only purchase/use one. However, given that I can detangle with my shampoo bar or Soultanicals Slip-N-Slide Hair Glide, if forced to choose just one, I'd have to go with the CRN Deep Treatment.

Last: Qhemet's Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee detangled both my dry and wet hair like a boss and is advertised to be able to double as a deep conditioner. I purchased a sample because it's expensive, IMO.

Please let us know what ends up working for you!

Evolving78

Silicon Mix is great but you will smell like someone's granny
You are wrong! lol I just used the Bambu. The Bambu has no protein in it, so it will get your hair right! I just over did it some with the protein, and it's getting my hair back in order. I do plan on getting some more Mystic Divine too. I just grabbed a couple of packs and used it up when I colored my hair.

Sally.

The TGIN Honey Hair Masque is a good one I've discovered as far as slip and moisturizing.
However, have you thought maybe it isn't the products? How are you deep conditioning your hair?
@NaturalShe94 I've been reading up on porosity as I think that might have something to do with it. At first I thought maybe I needed to either clarify more because of the hard water in my former city. But I have a shower filter and I clarify/chelate often, yet every last one of the deep conditioners I use, don't work. They just leave my hair a dry, matted mess. I also recently got my hair straightened and trimmed because I hadn't had a trim in a year (I also hadn't straightened in a year either).

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "how am I deep conditioning my hair." After washing, I section into 4 parts and then put a good bit of conditioner on each section, and then I sit under a dryer for 20-30 mins. Even doing this, I haven't felt soft, detangled, moisturized hair in at least a year. Is there another way to deep condition that I should consider deep conditioning?

Sally.

Boy, can I relate to your post almost word for word.

I'll be watching this thread.

I can share that I've found a shampoo bar brand that is sooooooo slippery that I can detangle with it. They make several different formulations. So far I've trialed two from the sampler I purchased. One left my hair moisturized. One left my hair SQUEAKY, SQUEAKY clean. I have a review here: https://myhairgrowthstudyexperience...f-j-r-liggetts-coconut-argan-oil-shampoo-bar/

Basically, the moisture formulation is my holy grail cleanser. I chelate once a month and use a scalp cleanser. Otherwise, no other cleanser for me.

About DCs, I've tried dozens to the point of fatigue over it. I found one with amazing slip: the Mielle Organics Babassu Oil & Mint DC one I got from Sally's. Then . . . I found the only one that gives MY hair lasting moisture: the Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Deep Penetrating Hair Treatment.

I wish the former gave me a feeling of lasting moisture. I wish the latter had amazing slip. Then I would only purchase/use one. However, given that I can detangle with my shampoo bar or Soultanicals Slip-N-Slide Hair Glide, if forced to choose just one, I'd have to go with the CRN Deep Treatment.

Last: Qhemet's Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee detangled both my dry and wet hair like a boss and is advertised to be able to double as a deep conditioner. I purchased a sample because it's expensive, IMO.

Please let us know what ends up working for you!
Thank you for the product recommendations. I have been hearing about the Mielle Organics products and I may check them out. I'm wonder if maybe it's not the products but something else going on with our hair. Either a combination of porosity, trimming, clarifying, protein. I've been on my natural hair journey for over 5 years and from most of the threads I've read, naturals have achieved waist length by this time and my hair is barely BSL and its badly broken off in so many places, which means my hair is not full but thin especially towards the ends.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Thank you for the product recommendations. I have been hearing about the Mielle Organics products and I may check them out. I'm wonder if maybe it's not the products but something else going on with our hair. Either a combination of porosity, trimming, clarifying, protein. I've been on my natural hair journey for over 5 years and from most of the threads I've read, naturals have achieved waist length by this time and my hair is barely BSL and its badly broken off in so many places, which means my hair is not full but thin especially towards the ends.

Very interesting thought!

I clarify (chelate, in fact) once a month. I just got my home water analysis back, however, and the report was "VERY HARD WATER." I'm going to get a shower filter and see if anything changes (DCs work better, moisture lasts longer, etc.). That could definitely be a culprit in my case.

If I weren't able to get lasting moisture with the CRN treatment, I would be quite, quite concerned about whether something else was going on. Finally achieving lasting moisture from a DC has allayed a lot of my concern. There still could be something else going on, though, I'll agree.

The following experience I had has influenced me: One day I went to the salon for a trim. The products she used on my hair took my hair from moisturized and luxurious-feeling to VERY rough and dry feeling. It took me WEEKS of conditioning and trying all sorts of things to get rid of that very rough feeling. This made me think: Conditioning is cumulative! My hair just kept slowly getting better deep treatment after deep treatment. So I'm wondering if I don't DC frequently enough, or if I was chelating too often before. I've scheduled chelating for just once a month at this time and will see what effect that has.

I've been on my natural hair journey for about 3 years, and I'm arm-pit length at the longest layers. I've had two major trims, I believe. One was because I had NO IDEA that my natural hair would really need trims. Naive, silly, unlearned, I know. But my reasoning was: I'm not putting heat on it, and it's natural! :lol: Now that I know better, and now that I know that SSKs mean I should get a trim somewhat often, I'm prepared to be better about it so that I never have to have a major trim again, hopefully. I'm also detangling WAY LESS OFTEN and WAY MORE HEALTHILY, so that should protect my ends and result in more retention.

I'm going to revisit a handful of DCs over the next month to see if they perform better for me now after my major trim and with less chelating.

Sally.

Very interesting thought!

I clarify (chelate, in fact) once a month. I just got my home water analysis back, however, and the report was "VERY HARD WATER." I'm going to get a shower filter and see if anything changes (DCs work better, moisture lasts longer, etc.). That could definitely be a culprit in my case.

If I weren't able to get lasting moisture with the CRN treatment, I would be quite, quite concerned about whether something else was going on. Finally achieving lasting moisture from a DC has allayed a lot of my concern. There still could be something else going on, though, I'll agree.

The following experience I had has influenced me: One day I went to the salon for a trim. The products she used on my hair took my hair from moisturized and luxurious-feeling to VERY rough and dry feeling. It took me WEEKS of conditioning and trying all sorts of things to get rid of that very rough feeling. This made me think: Conditioning is cumulative! My hair just kept slowly getting better deep treatment after deep treatment. So I'm wondering if I don't DC frequently enough, or if I was chelating too often before. I've scheduled chelating for just once a month at this time and will see what effect that has.

I've been on my natural hair journey for about 3 years, and I'm arm-pit length at the longest layers. I've had two major trims, I believe. One was because I had NO IDEA that my natural hair would really need trims. Naive, silly, unlearned, I know. But my reasoning was: I'm not putting heat on it, and it's natural! :lol: Now that I know better, and now that I know that SSKs mean I should get a trim somewhat often, I'm prepared to be better about it so that I never have to have a major trim again, hopefully. I'm also detangling WAY LESS OFTEN and WAY MORE HEALTHILY, so that should protect my ends and result in more retention.

I'm going to revisit a handful of DCs over the next month to see if they perform better for me now after my major trim and with less chelating.
Yes, definitely get a shower filter to block out most of the minerals which could cause the moisture block and other hair issues. I definitely agree with you that deep conditioning is cumulative and I definitely think my hair has suffered a bit because I haven't done it often. But now that I've started back, I can't even get my hair back to the point where it is moisturized, strong, and healthy which bothers me so.

I can't believe a salon experience made your hair feel like that! I've been thinking that maybe my problem is that I need to seek the expertise of a stylist because I haven't been in a year.

Also, I'm looking up the CRN online to see where to get it on the ground. It's on Target's website but its saying that there are none at any of the Targets in my city. Can you buy the CRN conditioner on the ground or do you have to order it online?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Yes, definitely get a shower filter to block out most of the minerals which could cause the moisture block and other hair issues. I definitely agree with you that deep conditioning is cumulative and I definitely think my hair has suffered a bit because I haven't done it often. But now that I've started back, I can't even get my hair back to the point where it is moisturized, strong, and healthy which bothers me so.

I can't believe a salon experience made your hair feel like that! I've been thinking that maybe my problem is that I need to seek the expertise of a stylist because I haven't been in a year.

Also, I'm looking up the CRN online to see where to get it on the ground. It's on Target's website but its saying that there are none at any of the Targets in my city. Can you buy the CRN conditioner on the ground or do you have to order it online?

I think the salon was very good and professional. I think my hair is un-used to a lot of synthetic ingredients, and the products they used on my hair that day are FULL of them.

The CRN treatment is sold in my Target and at the largest Asian-owned beauty supply store near me.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I think you should find a very reputable NATURAL hair stylist if you want and try it. Don't get a trim/cut the first visit. Vet them. Good ones are super hard to find IME but worth it.

Sending vibes that your hair turns around soon!

NaturalShe94

@NaturalShe94 I've been reading up on porosity as I think that might have something to do with it. At first I thought maybe I needed to either clarify more because of the hard water in my former city. But I have a shower filter and I clarify/chelate often, yet every last one of the deep conditioners I use, don't work. They just leave my hair a dry, matted mess. I also recently got my hair straightened and trimmed because I hadn't had a trim in a year (I also hadn't straightened in a year either).

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "how am I deep conditioning my hair." After washing, I section into 4 parts and then put a good bit of conditioner on each section, and then I sit under a dryer for 20-30 mins. Even doing this, I haven't felt soft, detangled, moisturized hair in at least a year. Is there another way to deep condition that I should consider deep conditioning?

Deep conditioning is a major factor but not the only one. Shampoo and use a regular conditioner and then use a Deep conditioner and sit under the dryer, then rinse it with cool water to lock in the moisture. How do you dry your hair???? I've learned so much that towels can cause the moisture to leave the hair. Try using a t-shirt or microfiber towel... The TGIN super moist Leave In is an absolutely great Leave In. It is so thick and moisturizing. I even have watch how I use it, my hair gets weighed down from it. Rewet your hair with a spray bottle and use a really thick leave in like the TGIN or your choice and seal with an oil. Maybe rake in some gel if you want. And either try plaiting, twisting or bunning your hair to keep the moisture from leaving. A good deep conditioner isn't the only thing you need. You probably need to revamp your whole regimen.

DST1913

I'm natural and I'm looking for an intense moisturizing deep conditioner with a lot of slip. My hair is very tangly and so washday is often a disaster where I lose a lot of hair, especially if I am clarifying (which really strips my hair). I use a detangling shampoo that really doesn't help anymore. I've tried so many deep conditioners that everyone else LOVES but is rather blah on my hair (like Joico Moisture Recovery Balm and Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk Conditioner). My favorite deep conditioner used to be one I got from Sally's by Hair Chemist called "Macadamia Oil Deep Repair Masque." That thang left my curls popping! However, Sally's changed the formula and now it does nothing for my hair. I'm on the hunt for an amazing, detangling, moisturizing deep conditioner with slip.
I was in this same boat. Everything and I mean everything made my hair tangle especially when I clarify. I said this before but I was losing so much hair from tangling that I could make a baby wig. The only clarifying shampoo I can use is Kinky-Curly come clean. And last week I discovered APB blueberry cheesecake deep conditioner and my life has been changed forever. My hair has NEVER been detangled after a wash. That instantly melted the tangles away I want to buy a tub of this stuff.

Sally.

I was in this same boat. Everything and I mean everything made my hair tangle especially when I clarify. I said this before but I was losing so much hair from tangling that I could make a baby wig. The only clarifying shampoo I can use is Kinky-Curly come clean. And last week I discovered APB blueberry cheesecake deep conditioner and my life has been changed forever. My hair has NEVER been detangled after a wash. That instantly melted the tangles away I want to buy a tub of this stuff.
I will try the Kinky Curly shampoo. I currently use Design Essentials Detangling Shampoo but I think it might be full of cones. I tried the APB blueberry cheesecake deep conditioner about 3 years ago. I don't remember being blown away by it then, but maybe I should give it another shot since I do love her hair puddings and her hair/body butta.

Sally.

Deep conditioning is a major factor but not the only one. Shampoo and use a regular conditioner and then use a Deep conditioner and sit under the dryer, then rinse it with cool water to lock in the moisture. How do you dry your hair???? I've learned so much that towels can cause the moisture to leave the hair. Try using a t-shirt or microfiber towel... The TGIN super moist Leave In is an absolutely great Leave In. It is so thick and moisturizing. I even have watch how I use it, my hair gets weighed down from it. Rewet your hair with a spray bottle and use a really thick leave in like the TGIN or your choice and seal with an oil. Maybe rake in some gel if you want. And either try plaiting, twisting or bunning your hair to keep the moisture from leaving. A good deep conditioner isn't the only thing you need. You probably need to revamp your whole regimen.
Thank you for the suggestions. I will try the TGIN Leave-In because I've always felt the Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-In was way to thin and watery in consistency for my hair on its own. Thank you so much, I'll write down my regimen and evaluate it to see what I might be doing that needs to change.

NaturalShe94

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try the TGIN Leave-In because I've always felt the Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-In was way to thin and watery in consistency for my hair on its own. Thank you so much, I'll write down my regimen and evaluate it to see what I might be doing that needs to change.

NP hun, glad to help! GL :)

Evolving78

Cones or no cones you have to make sure you are using a conditioner that is strictly for moisture. Balancing conditioners, masques, etc.. are laced with protein. That's why most stylist charge extra for a deep conditioning treatment. They usually use rinse out conditioners. If the hair is healthy, it really should need a deep treatment every wash, unless you go long periods of time not washing your hair, styling abuse, chemical and heat usage. Deep treatment should be every 1-2 times a month.

What conditioner do you currently use?

Sally.

What have you been using?
@shortdub78 My regimen (if you can call it that) is as follows:

Detangle with Soultanicals Knot Sauce
Prepoo with ORS Replenishing Conditioner (for 20 minutes)
Shampoo with Design Essentials Detangling Shampoo
Deep Condition: I alternate between a protein and moisturizing treatment. Protein conditioner is Apghogee 2-Minute. Lately I've had a couple of moisturizing deep conditioners in rotation but they still don't do much for my hair: Joico Moisture Recovery Balm, Hair Chemist Macadamia Oil Deep Conditioner (from Sally's), Amika Nourish Mask
Moisturize and Seal: I follow the LCO method. I rewet my hair and use Anabelle's Perfect Blends Hair Pudding as my leave-in detangler, followed up with Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream, and then some kind of hair oil.

I usually wear a u-part wig that I make so I put my hair in braids with the top left out for the u-part wig. So my hair is protected 70% of the year under a wig. If I leave the plaits in for more than a week, I get severe matting and tangling. I have had problems with my hair matting and its been breaking off.

Evolving78

@shortdub78 My regimen (if you can call it that) is as follows:

Detangle with Soultanicals Knot Sauce
Prepoo with ORS Replenishing Conditioner (for 20 minutes)
Shampoo with Design Essentials Detangling Shampoo
Deep Condition: I alternate between a protein and moisturizing treatment. Protein conditioner is Apghogee 2-Minute. Lately I've had a couple of moisturizing deep conditioners in rotation but they still don't do much for my hair: Joico Moisture Recovery Balm, Hair Chemist Macadamia Oil Deep Conditioner (from Sally's), Amika Nourish Mask
Moisturize and Seal: I follow the LCO method. I use Anabelle's Perfect Blends Hair Pudding as my leave-in detangler, followed up with Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream, and then some kind of hair oil.

I usually wear a u-part wig that I make so I put my hair in braids with the top left out for the u-part wig. So my hair is protected 70% of the year under a wig. If I leave the plaits in for more than a week, I get severe matting and tangling. I have had problems with my hair matting and its been breaking off.
Your prepoo is a light protein and your DCs are all protein. You have strictly Moisturizing conditioners. That's why even though you are doing everything right, your hair is still dry. And it's hard to find a conditioner that has no protein in it. im not very hip when it comes to natural hair products, but two that I use to bring Moisture and slip back are Silk Elements mega silk treatment in the tan jar, Silicon mix bambu, and Moroccan oil with the brown lid.

Sally.

Your prepoo is a light protein and your DCs are all protein. You have strictly Moisturizing conditioners. That's why even though you are doing everything right, your hair is still dry. And it's hard to find a conditioner that has no protein in it. im not very hip when it comes to natural hair products, but two that I use to bring Moisture and slip back are Silk Elements mega silk treatment in the tan jar, Silicon mix bambu, and Moroccan oil with the brown lid.
Did you mean to say "I have NO strictly moisturizing conditioners?"
I thought the all 3 were (Joico, Hair Chemist, and Amika) were. But I just looked up how to identify conditioners with protein and I now see that I was mistaken. Thanks!

Last edited:

Evolving78

Did you mean to say "I have NO strictly moisturizing conditioners?"
I thought the all 3 were (Joico, Hair Chemist, and Amika) were. But I just looked up how to identify conditioners with protein and I now see that I was mistaken. Thanks!
Yes I meant to say none of those were strictly Moisturizing!
You are welcome! I hope that helps!

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
These deep conditioners all work for me. They are affordable, accessible & available in large sizes.
  • Alter Ego Garlic Mask Hot Oil Treatment (contains silicone)
  • BOE Crece Pelo Tratamiento Fitoterapetico Natural (Natural Phitoterapeutic Treatment
  • Curl Junkie Curl Rehab Moisturizing Hair Treatment
  • Darbur Vatika Naturals Hot Oil Treatment (deep conditioning, intensive nourishment, garlic, virgin olive & egg protein varieties)
  • Daddy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Moisturizing Conditioner (works best with heat)
  • Matrix Biolage HydraSource Conditioning Balm
  • Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp Conditioner (contains silk protein) + 1-2 tablespoons hemp oil
  • Tropical Professional Baño Dr Crema Canela Cinnamon Intense Conditioner Cream
First use a chelatingng then moisturizing shampoo respectively before deep conditioning. If you're still getting tangles I suspect high porosity issues.

To smooth my cuticles I would either:
1. Use a weak acidic rinse (1 tsp apple cider vinegar or aloe vera juice to 16 oz distilled water) before I deep condition. This works immediately.

2. Make Kimmaytube's leave-in concoction. The recipe can be found here: https://blackhairinformation.com/ha...ents/kimmaytubes-leave-in-conditioner-recipe/

gorgeoushair

I was just gonna post the same thing.