Moisture and Strength

H

HoneyRockette

Stupid question: If the main hair problem Black women face is dryness (which leads to breakage and split ends), then why is it this problem can't simply be remedied by a moisturizer of some type, whether it be conditioner or hair dress? Why do we still need protein treatments?

kasey

HR

Great question!

Here is my take on it.

I think protein treatments are needed to fix the damage done to the cuticle when we use curling irons or chemical treatments.

-kc

Jubilee

Relaxed hair needs protein treatments because the chemical weakens the hair shaft. The protein is used to strengthen it and replace the protein that has been lost.

If your hair is natural and you are not using any heat, then a protein treatment is not needed because the hair will be healthy. All you will need is a few hot oil treatments/moisturizing conditioner and a daily moisturizer.

Hair Type: 4a Transitioning /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

NayNay

I agree with Kasey. I think that regardless your hair is going to get damaged like any other type of material (clothes) so I think once the cuticles start to wear (be it from old age or relaxers) protein can build up the hair.

H

HoneyRockette

I asked because I went to Ricky's last night and most of the shampoos and conditioners for "damaged hair" were moisturizing. Protein conditioners were in a different category.

Honi

There is no board.
I agree that protein adds strength because relaxers break down the cuticle which makes the hair fragile.

But I read somewhere that protein treatments will not fix structural damage from the inside and it's only temporary.