after relaxer: moisture or strength??

MrsBKJ

Im thinking of getting a touch up in the next week or so...ive seen many ladies talk about using conditioner before neutralising and im very interested in this. However my question is after any neutralising has taken place (pre or post conditioner). which is more important for hair after the last step of relaxing has been taken?
I always go for strength rather than moisture but then my hair is quite dry...any ideas or thoughts on this at all?
Thanks

Uzz

I've always thought moisture is more important because my hair tends be dry especially after a relaxer.

i know on the back of the mizani container the instuction says after you rinse out the relaxer you can condition hair then shampoo beats me

When all else fails go to a trained stylist for touch ups or follow the directions on the box. Me, personally, dont self-relax for fear of ending up with no hair.:D

I self relax with Silk Elements. This is what I will be doing for my next relaxer:

1. I base my scalp and prerelaxed hair with Petroleum Jelly.
2. I mix about 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil into the Silk Elements Relaxer
3. I apply the relaxer to my new growth with a nozzle tip bottle.
4. I rinse out the relaxer
5. I apply a medium strength protein conditioner to my hair, I think this time around I will use Nexxus emergencee
6. I neutralize the hair
7. I deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner

My relaxer came out even better than when my stylist does it because I didn't overprocess, I didn't burn my scalp, and my hair just felt a lot healthier.

trimbride said:
I self relax with Silk Elements. This is what I will be doing for my next relaxer:

1. I base my scalp and prerelaxed hair with Petroleum Jelly.
2. I mix about 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil into the Silk Elements Relaxer
3. I apply the relaxer to my new growth with a nozzle tip bottle.
4. I rinse out the relaxer
5. I apply a medium strength protein conditioner to my hair, I think this time around I will use Nexxus emergencee
6. I neutralize the hair
7. I deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner

My relaxer came out even better than when my stylist does it because I didn't overprocess, I didn't burn my scalp, and my hair just felt a lot healthier.

Do you always mix Olive Oil in the relaxer? I never thought of doing that...

Yes, I got this tip from this board. It helps to dilute the relaxer so that it doesn't process too fast. I use a regular Silk Elements Lye relaxer. I texlax, which means I only process the relaxer to about 80-85%, lots of girls on the board texlax to varying percentages.

I will have to try that next time... thanks for the tip :) It also seems like it would add moisture to the hair at its most vulnerable state

thanks you guys for the advice.
I think im going to stick with the phyto this time and self relax...was very tempted by silk elements but will leave that for when im more confident at self relaxing.
would you guys recomment i DC after the using the milky reconstructor or before?

Thanks
Any other reponses??

HWAY said:
I've always thought moisture is more important because my hair tends be dry especially after a relaxer.

Right, to my knowledge moisture is important. A week after I relax my hair I shampoo with keracare hydrating detangling shampoo and then I apply aphogee intensive 2 minute keratin reconstructor conditioner to my hair and sit under my heating cap for 30 minutes. It is very important to restore the moisture back to your hair after it has been chemically treated:) For the first 2 weeks I moisturize my hair 2 or 3 times through out the day. I also use CON Oil Moisturizer Hair Lotion for the first 2 weeks after I relax because it helps prevent dryness.JMO

Last edited:
Thanks tsmith I'll keep this in mind...i need to overload my hair with moisture but am too damn lazy!
lol

Back