Is It Possible to Have Too Much Moisture AND Protein?

vtoodler

We know that you can have too much moisture, which leads to mushy hair.

We know that you can have too much protein, which leads to hard hair.

We also know that you have too little of both, which leads to severe breakage and dryness.

But can you have too much moisture and protein? What would happen if you overcondition your hair while simultaneously using a lot of protein?

Last edited:

melissa-bee

I don't think it's possible. People leave well balanced conditioners in their hair overnight and it doesn't have any bad effects.

candy626

I don't think it's possible. People leave well balanced conditioners in their hair overnight and it doesn't have any bad effects.

For me it does. I used to do this years ago and highschool. I thought it would make my hair grow but it really just made my hair too coated, brittle, and prone to breakage.

My hair does much better with light weight leave in products rather then using regular conditioners as leave in.

I'm not sure if you can have too much protein and moisture at the same time, but I know you can have too much product in your hair. Too much product on my fine hair usually means breakage/brittleness.

SimJam

Either your hair is hard or it's soft. How can it be hard and mushy at the same time?
agreed

sure you moisture/protein balance can be out of whack so it can then take some time to figure out how much protein and how much moisture one needs

vtoodler

But if you can have too little of both (which leads to breakage), why can't you also have too much of both?

StarScream35

But if you can have too little of both (which leads to breakage), why can't you also have too much of both?

Not sure because I have never had this happen. I use a moderate protein treatment every week and I know I prolly shouldn't but I love what it does to my hair after I throw that moisturizer on it.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Not sure because I have never had this happen. I use a moderate protein treatment every week and I know I prolly shouldn't but I love what it does to my hair after I throw that moisturizer on it.

Ditto for me. No problems with it so far.