Mizani Butter Blend Review

Seeking8Rights

Picx included, but I wanted to let everyone know my thoughts on my first experience with Mizani Butter Blend Relaxer System.

History: Affirm Dry & Sensitive No-Lye (self relax)

Night Before: Moisture and Protein treated my hair along with a deep clarify. I did an oil rinse because I was prepared to experience the dryness from the lye relaxer.

Today: Mizani Butter Blend Lye Normal/Medium (salon relaxed)

I bought two intro kits from Paynes Beauty Supply and brought one in to the Italian stylist, Fredrico, who I let relax my hair in the past with Dudley's. Fredrico is familiar with the Mizani line as he alternates between Mizani and Dudleys, however, he wasn't familiar with their new Butter Blend.

So, he applied all the pre-treatment stuff, which I didn't find unusual to any other relaxer system (like Affirm). He began applying the relaxers and left it on for about 18 minutes total. I asked him if I should get a corrective and he said no because it will cause damage to the already relaxed hair. So, he rinsed and proceeded with the other conditioning, shampooing, etc. One thing I noticed is that he neutralized first, then conditioned (I was under the dryer during the conditioning time for 15 minutes) and then applied the conditioning treatment spray and then rinsed. The directions say not to do this but he was talking and got ahead of himself--no problem.

Blow dried and that was it.

His review: Mizani Butter Blend is really no different than their regular system. His goal was to straighten and that's what it did. I asked him if he wanted to keep the other intro kit and he said---NOPE, nothing different. :)

My review: The Mizani Butter Blend was the driest (in terms of my scalp) lye relaxer I have had in a while. This is what I remember about the lye relaxers. When I came home, I applied to my hair & scalp a little Amla oil, Kerastase oleo relax anti frizz, and a little Profectiv for my ends. Now, the dryness (tight feeling) is with my scalp, however, my hair is very smooth and straight. I also noticed a HUGE difference in the straightness of my hair after he had did the final rinse--no more wavy texlax look the Affirm was giving me. :)

So, which one would I choose Affirm, Dudley's or Mizani? Lye or No-Lye?

Well, I will never go back to no-lye relaxers because I can instantly see the difference in the hair, as it has a more manicured look and feel, not so rough and crinkly.

As far as brand? I would pick Dudley's as my first choice, Mizani second (butter blend or not) and leave Affirm to the wolves.

I also noticed (and so did Fredrico) the strength of my hair (again), as he can be very hard handed (most Italians are when doing AA hair) and I kept on asking to see the detangling comb and brush to see if there was a bunch of hair and he was like :nono:...nothing but a few strands. The last time he relaxed my hair back in 2005, he said my hair was damanged and had a lot of shedding, breakage (short hairs falling) and needed my ends trimmed ASAP. This time, I asked and he said my hair is again very strong and my ends don't need trimming (good, because I had them trimmed the 25th of July). So I was glad to hear that!

My current length is almost mid back, I would be a few inches longer than that if I hadn't let the Avant Garde salon trim and layer my hair on the 25th of July. But I'm not mad, because I'm still considering cutting my hair ALL OFF back to the short and pimpin bachelorette cut I had in 2003. :yep: Decisions, Decisions......

Pictures attached!

The first picture was taken on Sept 13 before relaxer (bra showing). Second picture was taken today after relaxer.

Attachments

• Sept13 Before Relaxer.jpg
    Sept13 Before Relaxer.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Relaxer Results.jpg
    Relaxer Results.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 91

Healthb4Length

Picx included, but I wanted to let everyone know my thoughts on my first experience with Mizani Butter Blend Relaxer System.

Night Before: Moisture and Protein treated my hair along with a deep clarify. I did an oil rinse because I was prepared to experience the dryness from the lye relaxer.

My review: The Mizani Butter Blend was the driest (in terms of my scalp) lye relaxer I have had in a while. This is what I remember about the lye relaxers. When I came home, I applied to my hair & scalp a little Amla oil, Kerastase oleo relax anti frizz, and a little Profectiv for my ends. Now, the dryness (tight feeling) is with
however, my hair is very smooth and straight. I also noticed a HUGE difference in the straightness of my hair after he had did the final rinse--no more wavy texlax look the Affirm was giving me. :)

your hair looks lovely! Glad you got the straightness you wanted. I was wondering if the tightness your experiencing in the scalp area was because of washing the night before? I know that it's often stated that you should wash your hair 2-3 days prior to relaxing so that the "natural oils" on your scalp can act as a protective barrier.

InnerSoul

thanks for the review, I plan on trying this myself in December but I am wanting to texlax...I noticed your hair is straight..so I guess I wouldn't need to leave the relaxer on as long in order to achieve the texlaxed look.

Your hair is gorgeous!

Seeking8Rights

My review: The Mizani Butter Blend was the driest (in terms of my scalp) lye relaxer I have had in a while. This is what I remember about the lye relaxers. When I came home, I applied to my hair & scalp a little Amla oil, Kerastase oleo relax anti frizz, and a little Profectiv for my ends. Now, the dryness (tight feeling) is with
however, my hair is very smooth and straight. I also noticed a HUGE difference in the straightness of my hair after he had did the final rinse--no more wavy texlax look the Affirm was giving me. :)

your hair looks lovely! Glad you got the straightness you wanted. I was wondering if the tightness your experiencing in the scalp area was because of washing the night before? I know that it's often stated that you should wash your hair 2-3 days prior to relaxing so that the "natural oils" on your scalp can act as a protective barrier.

From my past experience with lye relaxers the main after effects with me were the dryness of the scalp. This past experience was the first time I actually washed before relaxing.

Seeking8Rights

thanks for the review, I plan on trying this myself in December but I am wanting to texlax...I noticed your hair is straight..so I guess I wouldn't need to leave the relaxer on as long in order to achieve the texlaxed look.

Your hair is gorgeous!

Thank you. Yes, if you want a texlaxed feel, I would go for the mild as opposed to the normal/medium.