Missing a God-given opportunity-What can you do?

mango387

As I keep living, I meet others like myself who feel as if we have missed out on truly God-given opportunities. What do I mean by truly God-given opportunities? The major life-altering once in a lifetime opportunities that most people aren't given. One person who I admire but is having a tough time in her profession was given the choice to go into something else with all associated expenses paid. She was a teenager who was ready to leave her parents, so she choose the profession (and family) that she is now in. To make a long story short, now she lives with regret over 20 years later, because the profession nor her life have been really kind to her overall.

When I was in college, I missed out on an opportunity (I feel) b/c at that time, I wasn't focused on pleasing God. I was just trying to make sure that I was satisfied. Now, I keep hearing how sweet the missed opportunity is and I feel much regret. I wished I had been wiser/Spirit-led back then. My mom, who is a true believer, says that my decisions back then have/will not leave me empty-handed. Sometimes, I'm not so sure. (Sometimes, I feel like Esau who gave up something long-lasting for something temporal).

At any rate, is there any scripture/encouragement that anyone can point me towards? Has anyone else felt like this before? How did you overcame this feeling of regret?

ETA-Think Ted Williams like opportunities that have been blown...Actually, I feel so sad for him, because one day he is going to realize how much God would have blessed him....

Last edited:

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
I think that regret, like unresolved guilt, can be a hindrance emotionally. Personally, I never entertain regret because the one thing that you have absolutely no control over, and which even the Lord Himself is not going to change, is the past. What is done is done.

If you're stuck thinking about missed opportunities, it seems that you're not as focused on what the Lord is going to do in your life today. Just because there was an opportunity missed yesterday does not mean that you will not be blessed tomorrow. The Lord's promises aren't confined to a specific period in time. Psalm 23 says, "Goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life." Every day is renewal and redemption with the Lord. The Bible also says that "all things work together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose."

I have things in my life that I look back on and if I were in those situations again, or had those choices to make over, I'd choose differently. But the thing is that I could have chosen differently and still something could not turn out right or something bad could happen. In that way, regret is speculative, because unless you are talking about sins, you can never know if the other choice would really have put you in a better place than you are today. And the Lord will even use sin of which you have repented to teach and grow you and make you more useful to Him.

So, I'd say just release the past and ask the Lord what His will is for you today. Ask Him for mercy to cover mistakes you've made. If you continue to focus on what is past, you will miss the opportunities that are in front of you today.

Last edited:

Prudent1

I think that regret, like unresolved guilt, can be a hindrance emotionally. Personally, I never entertain regret because the one thing that you have absolutely no control over, and which even the Lord Himself is not going to change, is the past. What is done is done.

If you're stuck thinking about missed opportunities, it seems that you're not as focused on what the Lord is going to do in your life today. Just because there was an opportunity missed yesterday does not mean that you will not be blessed tomorrow. The Lord's promises aren't confined to a specific period in time. Psalm 23 says, "Goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life." Every day is renewal and redemption with the Lord. The Bible also says that "all things work together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose."

I have things in my life that I look back on and if I were in those situations again, or had those choices to make over, I'd choose differently. But the thing is that I could choose differently and still something could not turn out right or something bad could happen. In that way, regret is speculative, because unless you are talking about sins, you can never know if the other choice would really have put you in a better place than you are today. And the Lord will even use sin of which you have repented to teach and grow you and make you more useful to Him.

So, I'd say just release the past and ask the Lord what His will is for you today. If you continue to focus on what is past, you will miss the opportunities that are in front of you today.
ITA with everything posted above and would hit the thanks button many times if it were possible. OP, how you feel is perfectly normal but none of us can turn back time. None of us can know with certainty that the other choice would work out the way it seems. Those are assumptions. Into every life some rain must fall. In fact, the rain falls on the just and the unjust alike. So saith the rainmaker himself:yep:. The difference is we have umbrellas for some storms and for others words that will turn them away. Every day God allows you to wake up truly is a gift and a chance to sow new seeds to change the outcome of anything you don't like about your life. Everything about the kingdom of God works on the principles of seed, time, and finally harvest. God allows us a time of mourning but then we must move on. Stay focused. Not doing so can result in catastrophy. Remember Lot's wife? She lost her focus. She turned back for just a glimpse but it ended up costing him a wife, his kids a mother, their kids a grandmom, and so on... It is no different when we look back too long. Satan does not care how he has to do it, he just wants to make sure you do not fulfil your God given mission. Even if you make it in to heaven. So, if he causes you to be distracted by your past or dreams of how things should be/ could've been etc- mission accomplished. You will not be in the place you should've been in for the sake of the kingdom. Listen, you never fail a test from God. Usually, those opportunites we think we've missed come back around to us again. Not necessarily in the same format but they resurface. A person who has allowed God to break them and put them back together again will be ready when that chance comes again. We cannot put our limitations on God. What is time to him? Those missed opportunities could've been training for the real thing and not the real thing itself. Seek him.
Here are some scriptures I referenced above.
Gen 19:26
26 But Lot’s wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.
Matt 5:45 (b)
45 ...(b) He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
Ecc 3:1
1 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens:
Matt 6:33
33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.