Micro-Braid/Extentions Hair Care Thread!

Malice

I'm feelin' kinda left out of the forum now that I have my braids in :ohwell:. I'm very happy with them though. They were done at an African braiding salon, they are a nice size and very neat, tight but not too tight, not much stress at all. My only complaint was the particular woman I had started combing my hair (which is 3 in. past my shoulders and had about 1/2 an inch of NG) pretty rigorously with a fine tooth comb. I started cringing so bad, I couldn't even talk as I felt and saw the breakage that was happening, I was in shock. Then I calmly got up, went to my car and grabbed my wide tooth and said "if you need to comb through my hair, please use this" Of course she didn't need to anymore, but instead she put all of my hair in a pony on top of my head and would part from it with a metal clip, and she was not so graceful with that either. All the other women seemed to be alot more gentle with the other clients, she just had that look of the one those rough handed ones, I thought, 'just my luck, my hair looks like I'm the only one in here that really handles it with care and I'd be the one to get this wench!' :mad:

I know I didn't lose much, not enough to notice, but any breakage after caring for it like a baby for so long, and it pretty much being blunt all around that was alot.

Ok..Just needed to vent.

So I have braid spray, and mousse, and it's 'wet & wavy' hair but if I don't braid it in like 4 or 5 braids with mousse before going to bed it won't have waves. It's been sort of a while since I had braids but I remember I'd be able to come out the shower, spritz it with braid spray and it'd be wavy and good. This particular hair seems to almost flatten, not completely straight but not what I'd consider wavy. Are not all Wet & Wavy brands created equal? I know there are some that look and feel softer or silkier, but I'd always get the thicker coarser texture because of the grip, and they'll last longer, but, I don't know what's up this time.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? Will a curl activator work so I won't have to set-it to look the way it should?

Thanks!

glamazon386

Aww that's great that you love your braids. :)

How come you didn't speak up? I had a similar experience the other day when I went to get my weave done. She acted like she had lost her damn mind. And this wasn't the 1st time she had done my hair. But she never treated my hair so rough. I objected every step of the way. I know sometimes you don't want to seem like you're being a pain or don't want to offend the stylist but it's your hair. And I know it's hard when you're used to caring for your hair a certain way and then for somebody else to turn around and act like they don't care. You don't want your hair work and tender love and care for your hair to go down the tube because of someone else's careless.

That's strange. If it's wet n wavy it should wave on it's own. Have you completely wet the hair yet? Sometimes fresh out the pack it's a little resistant because of the coating they put on it. Once you wash it, the coating comes off. I remember my straight weave wouldnt hold curls for the first few days for that reason. Also, you can get Wet N Wavy mousse or a good leave in conditioner (I use Cantu Shea Leave in and it makes my curls bounce back even in dry frizzy hair) that should make the waves pop. You can kind of scrunch the hair after applying. I think a curl activator would make it kind of crunchy/greasy. At least that's been my experience with curl activators in my own hair anyway. Try the mousse. It even brings back curls in synthetic hair.

Malice

Thanks bmore!! I'm going to head to the BSS after work today and look for Wet & Wavy Mousse.

Brave..I just wanted to vent my experience get a solution to my wet & wavy braids not waving up on their own from other ladies with micros. Not much else to discuss because that's kinda of the purpose of micros , the low maintenance, hence not much to talk about. :lol:

glamazon386

Yeah it comes in a white bottle. It just says Wet N Wavy Mousse on the front. It's a really generic looking bottle. They have other products too like activator, gel, etc. But the mousse is the best.