Messy Ratty Edges - Help Me

wyldcurlz

my edges...my roots are a mess. i don't know how to tie my hair. i noticed everyone saying tie a silk scarf on tight, i'm remedial...can't figure out how to tie my scarf. mine ends up wrapped and tied down in the front, but that doesn't seem to hold my edges in place so i wake up with kinda roughed up roots.

India*32

I hear some women moisturize 20 minutes edges and tie scarf gingerly prior to going out. They say the wearing of tight scarves may cause breakage.

Lava27

Sometimes I wonder if my scarfs (even though they are satin and silk) may be bad for my edges. My edges are on the thin side as well. Wondering if it may be better to just sleep with no scarf, just directly on my satin pillowcase, and wake up and slick edges down in the morning. Does/has anyone done this with success??

BotanyGrl

Sometimes I wonder if my scarfs (even though they are satin and silk) may be bad for my edges. My edges are on the thin side as well. Wondering if it may be better to just sleep with no scarf, just directly on my satin pillowcase, and wake up and slick edges down in the morning. Does/has anyone done this with success??

I don't think they are, but I don't tie mine on too tight. The only way I know to slick down my edges is with the glaze by Elasta QP. The scarf works for my roots but not my edges.

wyldcurlz

i just need to figure out how to tie the thing properly. :grin:
i feel like i'm not tying it right and that's why my edges are not laying down flat when i take the scarf off in the morning.

PatTodd

I wouldn't worry too much about keeping your edges flat all night. Tie them down before you leave in the morning. You just need to make sure your hairline is smooth and moisturized before you tie the scarf on. I put a bit of product on and smooth with a damp boar bristle or baby brush. Tie the scarf firmly but it doesn't have to be tight. Just keep the scarf on until the product is dry and your edges will be smooth.

Nonie

I think the scarf will hurt your edges if you're tying it so that its edge is on your hairline. When I tie a scarf, I go way beyond my hairline so the scarf's edge is on my forehead. Kinda like how I do my headwraps. (I have a fivehead so even if it doesn't look like it, trust me huge part of my forehead is covered. :giggle: )

prospurr4

For nice, flatten edges that stay flat all day, I apply plain water then follow with castor oil. Then, tie edges (snuggly but not too tight) down with a silk scarf with extra long ties that wrap around my head twice (I made it.) so that it stays on all night, then cover with a satin bonnet. This technique works on my 4b edges even when I'm far into a relaxer stretch.

ETA: I agree with Nonie...I place the scarf where it is beyond my edges and more on my forehead.

PinkPebbles

I recently stopped wearing a silk scarf...and made a silk pillowcase.