Mature(over 60 year old new natural)...PLEASE HELP

kurlyque

I really need your help with my mom. My mom is currently over 60 and proud of it. Since I could remember(over 20 years) my mom has gone to the stylist multiple times a month. Therefore, she doesn't know the first thing about styling her own hair. Over a year ago, she announced to her stylist that she was no longer letting a relaxer touch her hair. Every three weeks, she visits her stylist to have her hair washed, blow dried, edges straightened with a straightening comb, and finally ends curled. This is her complete regimen and she does not manipulate her hair herself. The only problem is that this is very expensive. I have a great desire to come up with a different option(s) that I and my sister(both naturals) can help her with. She does not truly like the options of locs, two-strand twists, twist-outs, fros, or wash-n-gos...yea I know this closes a lot of doors. Please help me what can I do for her.

~
Loving my kurls
2 yr nappiversary July 16!!!

SignatureBeauty

I really need your help with my mom. My mom is currently over 60 and proud of it. Since I could remember(over 20 years) my mom has gone to the stylist multiple times a month. Therefore, she doesn't know the first thing about styling her own hair. Over a year ago, she announced to her stylist that she was no longer letting a relaxer touch her hair. Every three weeks, she visits her stylist to have her hair washed, blow dried, edges straightened with a straightening comb, and finally ends curled. This is her complete regimen and she does not manipulate her hair herself. The only problem is that this is very expensive. I have a great desire to come up with a different option(s) that I and my sister(both naturals) can help her with. She does not truly like the options of locs, two-strand twists, twist-outs, fros, or wash-n-gos...yea I know this closes a lot of doors. Please help me what can I do for her.

WOW!! That is a tough one, Hopefully someone will come in and help you with your mom, does she likes Rollersets?

Transformer

I've been natural for quite a while but wore a 1 inch boy cut for years. I would suggest she start rollersetting. Depending on the length she can rod rollers...that will give her a very tight but easily maintained hairstyled.

Me, I did two strand twist and they were growning my hair out of layers.

Whimsy

Rollersets is an option.

But if it were MY mom, I'd buy her a maxiglide and teach her how to use it.

I'd also teach her how to properly wash, DC and moisturize/seal her hair.

I'd show her that she's in control and doesn't need to depend on a stylist.

hopeful

Even though she says she doesn't like the styles you mentioned I would gently suggest she at least try them and see. If she hates them then she can go to her stylist and do her thing. Why not try twists for just one week? Twists or braids rolled at the ends with perm rods might give her a really cute twist or braid-out. Encourage her to experiment, try new things, and get to know her hair. Also, what is her hair type and length? That will help the ladies suggest looks & styles. Also, look through fotki's and YouTube videos with her for ideas.

Last edited:

kurlyque

Thanks ladies. Great advice. @trini_cutley I'm hoping that she can find a staple style that she will be able to achieve by herself. @hopeful Ur right I also plan on trying two-strand twists despite the fact she doesn't think she will like it. I honestly don't know her hair type because she never does her own hair..I know thats bad. My guess is that her hair is not very coarse.

We plan on trying some styles in a couple of weeks, so she doesn't feel the need to go the stylist.