Marcel Irons: Safe for home use???

misscrystal

Nappy and Happy
I'm considering getting a marcel iron to straighten/curl my hair. I have a 'Ceramic Tools' straightening iron, but the results aren't lasting at. all. I straighten only once a week after i wash and condition, but even the same day I straighten my hair starts going poofy and frizzy again.

Is there anyone who has/had a marcel that they used at home? Any advice, tips, suggestions, pointers? My hair looks so awful and it's really depressing me :(

mshoney2u

I have one and all I can say is BE VERY CAREFUL. I learned from trail and error. Learning how long to keep your irorns in the stove. How much pressure to apply to the handles when slidding down hair. How to hold handles (I learned this from my beautician though). Just be careful I recently bleached my hair and didnt know it could not take as much heat as it did when it wasnt dyed girl let me tell u I have two plugs as result. shoot my hair is fine so you know I was mad I need all the hair I can get. HTH

kitchen_tician

ITA with MsHoney2U. The Marcels are NOT to be played with. :nono: I truly believe that unless you are already experienced with Marcels, that it's best to leave them for the professionals. Like MsHoney stated, I think you can learn how to use them, but it will take lots of trial and error and your hair may suffer from it.

Have you tried using curling wax to help you keep your curls. I know it's a little heavy, but it works very well for holding curls and keeping puffyness away.

baglady215

Maybe you could invest in a better flat iron? Marcels can be very damaging, and the other ladies are right. It takes a lot of practice to get the timing and technique down pat.

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
i really like marcel irons. i've mastered my technique by watching my stylist and patience. insead of heating my irons all at once (letting them sit for 5 minutes then trying it on my hair), i was very very gradual with heat.

if you want an alternative with less room for error however, i highly recommend the 1 1/2 inch sedu flat iron.

Healthb4Length

kitchen_tician said:
ITA with MsHoney2U. The Marcels are NOT to be played with. :nono: I truly believe that unless you are already experienced with Marcels, that it's best to leave them for the professionals. Like MsHoney stated, I think you can learn how to use them, but it will take lots of trial and error and your hair may suffer from it.

Have you tried using curling wax to help you keep your curls. I know it's a little heavy, but it works very well for holding curls and keeping puffyness away.

I'm co-signing...I lost the whole middle section of my hair a year and a half ago...the sad thing is it was a professional that styled my hair...be very careful...there's no way to monitor the temps of these things.