Ceramic Curling Iron

lunalight7

Happy New Year to my Hair Sisters!

I have decided to purchase a ceramic curling iron for infrequent use. I purchased a mini flat iron (Hot Tools)but it wasn't hot enough to straighten my new growth, which was the whole point of the purchase (I already own a large Jibere one). So I returned it. Anyhoo, I did a search on this board and on the net, and I am trying to decide between the CHI Turbo Ceramic and the HAI 3-in-1 ceramic curling irons. The HAI includes a baby barrel one that may be good for my roots. They are both expensive. I just wanted advice from you ladies...do any of you have either of these curling irons? If anyone has another brand (ceramic only) then please share results: are you able to straighten new growth? ; advantages to non-ceramic? ; etc. Also, do the ceramic irons come with ceramic plating or solid ceramic?

Whoo ! That was a lot to get out...sorry so long...please respond...

Thanks!

lunalight7

Bump...I'm also considering the Rusk 1" ceramic flat iron but I'm afraid I wont be able to curl my ends under with it...responses...Please??

Tracy

I don't know about these brands Luna...but didn't I promise you mine (for free)? I'm not sure what brand it is - but I'd be happy to pop it in the mail to you at some point (or give it to you at the next NYC meet). I know I promised it to someone.....

I never use it. I hate it. I'm just an old fashioned Conair kind of chick.

lunalight7

Thanks Tracy...I dont recall you promising yours to me but I'll take it for sure...why do you hate it? How hot does it get? PM me if you like...I'll pay shipping or we can meet in the city for a drinkypoo...

Tracy

It gets REALLy hot. That's why I hate it. I bought it because it supposedly was better because it conducts heat evenly and all that - but when I used it the pieces of hair I used it on STAYED hot for several seconds after I removed the tool. I didn't like that because my hair didn't "heat up" like that after I use a reg. curling iron.

I'll PM ya as soon as I get a chance.
A meet in the city sounds TERRIFIC!

Cat_Eyed_Cutie

I have a Chi Turbo 2" I won on ebay, and it's the best purchase I've ever made! It's expensive but worth every penny. I used get relaxers every 5-6 weeks without fail, cause my new growth would be so unmanagable. My last relaxer was November 11th, and my hair has never been so light feathery and silky. I could kiss the people at Farouk, I love my CHI!!!

Moving right along, the Chi has solid ceramic plates. I can't speak for other brands of ceramic flat irons cause I don't own ans have never used them. I do know that the cheaper brands have ceramic coated plates. The major differences I've noticed between ceramics and non-ceramics are...ceramics heat up faster, don't have hot spots, and don't tug at the hair. At least this has been my experience.

zora

Cat Eyed Cutie,

What are the sizes it comes in? I saw one yesterday that looked like a an inch, if that much and it was $115. I almost bought it, but something told me to hold up. A two inch would be ideal.

Cat_Eyed_Cutie

The Chi Turbo comes in 0.7", 1" and 2". I bought mine on Ebay for 70.00 and shipping was 18.75 (I live in Toronto Canada). You can turn your ends under with it, but if getting your roots straight is your concern, I'd buy a 3/4" el cheapo revlon iron from waltmart for 5.00, it gets much closer to the roots (that's what I did I use it on my hairline). Go to Http://www.ebay.com do a search, and I'd use the buy it now option, so you don't have to worry about being outbid.

Vitality

Jilbere makes good ceramic irons. These can be found at Sallys. I have the Jilbere ceramic flat iron and the curling iron.

jaibee

the jilbere works great on my relaxed hair but does NOTHING for my new growth. by the time i finish pressing roots on one side of my head the other side has reverted again. this chi sound interesting, and i had a stylist use it on me for the first time a week ago and my hair came out looking lovely.

lunalight7

Exactly, jaibee....I bought the Jibere mini flat/curling iron and it did nothing for my new growth. My large Jibere flat iron doesnt get close enough to the roots. And its too big for me to maneuver to bump my ends under. Thats why I wanted to try a ceramic curling iron instead.

inthepink

What makes a chi iron better than a regular ceramic iron? They look difficult to use...like the kind hairstylists have...I'd probably hurt myself!

lunalight7

Thanks for your responses ladies. I'm gonna try Tracy's first, then if I'm not satisfied, I'll go with the CHI ceramic curling iron or the Rusk Ceramic mini flat iron.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
They look difficult to use...like the kind hairstylists have...I'd probably hurt myself!

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. They look very difficult to use (unless you're a professional or just have skill in using that particular type of curling iron). I would never try these myself because it's a lot different than a 'regular' curling iron.