Making your own weave/hair pieces?

meia

Hey!!

....weave or hair pieces (by hair pieces meaning sections of weaving hair attached to some sort of clip or pin thats placed in the hair to add length)- has anyone made their own before? I'm just curious because i'm not all that experienced when it comes to weave (human or synthetic) and
i'd like to encorporate a few for a special event for length and a bit more thickness except it costs TOO much money to buy the "REAL" ones....

i'm figuring the best equation is: human hair/synthetic hair+ glue+ hairclip= homemade hair piece?

any advice or links to websites with cheap hairpieces?

Thanks in advance!!

HoneyDew

I have. I used a piece of wefted hair and sewed clips on it. I wanted a clipon piece to make it easier to put myhair up into a bun w/o have to used a phony pony.

My piece was thinner than I wanted but I learned later hat a double wefted piece would have been nicer.

I actually ended up buying a clip on piece that is on double wefted hair and there is a big difference in the thickness of the hair.

JazzyDez

have you tried 1/2 wigs? They are very inexpensive ($20) and the comb attachments hold the hair in place. You comb your hair over the front part.

Another option, if your hair is already long enough, you can add your own extensions. I used to just braid like 2 or 3 cornrows accross my head. One in the back from ear to ear and one or two going from 1 temple and around the back of my head to the other temple. I would double the track for extra thickness (and so I wouldnt have to do too many rows on my own head...if you have someone to help you thats even better). I would then sew the hair to my braids using thread and a curved needle. The rest of my hair would be out and blended in.

The key is to get the right color and texture weave to match your hair.

meia

HoneyDew said:
I have. I used a piece of wefted hair and sewed clips on it. I wanted a clipon piece to make it easier to put myhair up into a bun w/o have to used a phony pony.

My piece was thinner than I wanted but I learned later hat a double wefted piece would have been nicer.

I actually ended up buying a clip on piece that is on double wefted hair and there is a big difference in the thickness of the hair.

Hmmm...whats wefted hair? how did you sew it onto clips? lol ohhhh so much to learn! Would you recommend a hair comb like the blue background picture or a clip like the tan picture? I can glue hair onto either clip but i'm not sure which would be anchored enough to not fall out....

thank you sooo much in advance for your response! If i don't make it, i'll definitely buy one! lol its just more economical to make it at this point cos i'm pretty broke! :lol:

Attachments

• m0315h.jpg
    m0315h.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1
  • byipsingp2004.jpg
    byipsingp2004.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1

meia

JazzyDez said:
have you tried 1/2 wigs? They are very inexpensive ($20) and the comb attachments hold the hair in place. You comb your hair over the front part.

Another option, if your hair is already long enough, you can add your own extensions. I used to just braid like 2 or 3 cornrows accross my head. One in the back from ear to ear and one or two going from 1 temple and around the back of my head to the other temple. I would double the track for extra thickness (and so I wouldnt have to do too many rows on my own head...if you have someone to help you thats even better). I would then sew the hair to my braids using thread and a curved needle. The rest of my hair would be out and blended in.

The key is to get the right color and texture weave to match your hair.

hmmmm whats a 1/2 wig? comb attachments definitely seem most natural and secure but i'm debating on whether i should really use them....

my hair is 3C and its almost entirely mid back...hmmmmmmm those cornrows sound like a good idea and would definitely guarantee that the comb would be anchored enough in my hair! lol i mostly wanted to add some track to the bottom for length and to the sides for thickness...

i wanted to make my natural hair have the most texture and the weave pieces can be i guess filler- i really wanted to go for a similar style to the attached picture of beyonce although i'm thinking its a wig...and i wanted to use the weave pieces to prevent having them frizzy ends she had...

i think apart from finding the right hair texture (once i spiral curl it), removing that extra sheen from the weave would be very complicated....i don't want to have it be shiny i.e. fake looking so i'm going to be hittin up some of the older lhcf threads that i know addressed removing the shine from weaving hair...

thank you jazzy for all your help!!!!

Attachments

• sr186_Knowl88351825.jpg
    sr186_Knowl88351825.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

meia

*bumping yet again for more responses!!* :grin::grin: -anyone out there ever wanted to make their own hair pieces, at all? ;)

annieup

Hi Meia,
I am very familiar with clip in hair. This was all I did in high school. my specialty.

1. I'd measure how wide I'd like the wefted hair to be (and cut accordingly)

2. I purchased these mini clips from a bss....some stores don't have it but its located in the section where the bobby pins are found.

3. the clips have little holes in it. I sew the clips onto to hair (on each end).

4. then I clip it into the hair (its a snap clip by the way) and blend in

I'd always purchase some colored milky way hair from the bss because I didn't want to color my hair. this is a great way to add length and color without damage and can be taken out every night.

there is a website that showed pictures of this. I will research and see if it is still available. this was a long time ago.

JazzyDez

just to make sure I was clear, I didnt do the tracks with the instant weave, just two separate ideas. I didnt realize your hair was so long though....the instant weaves may not be such a great idea (how would you handle all of your hair underneath! :) sewing or glueing tracks onto a comb attachment may be the best idea. maybe you can create a small cornrow as an anchor like u said

meia said:
hmmmm whats a 1/2 wig? comb attachments definitely seem most natural and secure but i'm debating on whether i should really use them....

my hair is 3C and its almost entirely mid back...hmmmmmmm those cornrows sound like a good idea and would definitely guarantee that the comb would be anchored enough in my hair! lol i mostly wanted to add some track to the bottom for length and to the sides for thickness...

i wanted to make my natural hair have the most texture and the weave pieces can be i guess filler- i really wanted to go for a similar style to the attached picture of beyonce although i'm thinking its a wig...and i wanted to use the weave pieces to prevent having them frizzy ends she had...

i think apart from finding the right hair texture (once i spiral curl it), removing that extra sheen from the weave would be very complicated....i don't want to have it be shiny i.e. fake looking so i'm going to be hittin up some of the older lhcf threads that i know addressed removing the shine from weaving hair...

thank you jazzy for all your help!!!!