making new growth managable???

chocochiquita86

i don't really even have that much new growth yet, but i still can't seem 2 keep it workable: i can't even comb it. the rest of my hair is relaxed and looks just fine, but the new growth looks kinda ridiculous in there...it even looks a different color. what can i do 2 @ LEAST detangle it w/o losing 2 much hair
confused.gif
? cause i've been losing a pretty decent amount when i TRY 2 comb it
mad.gif

I've been wondering the same thing b/c I'm having a similar experience as u...
ohwell.gif

...But someone told me to oil, moisturize, and condition my hair a whole lot more particularly on the roots and avoid combing my hair too much. They also told me to try braidouts as a hairstyle so the new growth is less noticeable. HTH
wink.gif

I have a lot of hair and once the new growth starts, WATCHOUT!

I use a deep conditioner each and everytime I shampoo. When I have a lot of new growth I'll use a inexpensive creme rinse to saturate the hair and detangle. The creme rinse is used AFTER the deep conditioner is washed out.

I also use cream leave ins, as the liquids tend to intensify my tangles and leave my hair stiff.

I use my oil mixed in with water.
spray that bad boy and comb it through.......
<well I did this last night, cuz I hadn't comb my hair in a week.>
it worked good....
then I twisted it and calle dit a night....

I use Castor Oil or Profectiv RootHealth to control my newgrowth works well.
When my newgrowth gets really out of control I pull out heavy hitter STA SO FRO along with CO washes until I relax.

When I first started transitioning, I really like Carol's Daughter HHB on my new growth. I would apply it section by section on my new growth after washing.

[ QUOTE ]
divine said:
I heard about that stuff, but I aint gonna try it....

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? I use it on my new growth that used to be very tight and coily. Now it feels so soft and is definately manageable.
smile.gif

Shea butter is also good for softening new growth. It feels very, very soft when I use it. I haven't had a relaxer in 5 months, and it helps me out tremendously!
smile.gif

after washing, add a creamy leave in conditioner. grab a shower brush or deman brush an gentle brush hair back in ponytail or bun, scarf the front and sit under dryer or air dry. the front only needs a couple minutes of heat, or an hour of airdrying before your new growth will not only be softer straighter but appear nonexistent
smile.gif

I'll definitely be looking for that shea butter and creamy conditioner because my newgrowth is getting harder to handle.

To help with combing, Pantene Detangle Light Spray Conditioner works well after washing, and I haven't tried Salerm 21 but I've heard rave reviews about that one too...Good luck!

Oh, I forgot...Surge does a GREAT job at detangling. Be sure to spray some on the roots while hair is still damp after washing or deep conditioning.

Load your hair up with cholesterol before shampooing and use the Denman brush to brush through while in the shower. Best detangling method I've tried. Also the key here is to do it under the running water of the shower and NEVER, EVER, EVER, try to comb your new growth while it's dry. ONLY soaking wet. You will do a multitude of damage trying to get through dry, tangled hair.

Back