Tips Wanted: How to Successfully Manage New Growth

How do you manage (keep pliable) your new growth?

• Total voters
I use oils, butters and MSM to keep my NG soft.

ETA: Oh and Aveda DR. :grin:

The MSM (taken internally) is a God-send.
Fantasia IC gel and a several silk scarves are a must!
Sealing with oil.

Last edited:
OK, wait ... you guys are saying that your new growth gets straight without using heat whatsoever just by using this product and using the scarf method to air dry? If so, I may have to run over a few pedestrians getting to the CVS.

The scarf method gets my new growth staight no matter what leave in I use. So long hair is freshly washed & conditioned, and a good leave-in (I've used many many different ones over the years!) on wet hair allowed to air dry 70%, seal with oil and then tie down - straight as an arrow, even at 12 weeks post touchup. IMO, it's not so much the product as it is the method.

This why I don't rollerset anymore, can get that new growth super straight with this method every time . . .

I don't try to fight with my NG anymore b/c I always lose.

--I use Aveda DR after 5 wks so starting week 6. I use it with a plastic cap and hooded dryer.
--Then I use Biolage leave-in tonic b/c it helps with detangling.
--I usually have to start using my daily moisturizer everyday which is ORS olive creme mixed with NTM healing serum.
--I use a hooded dryer put it in 4 really big rollers or let it dry straight and bump the ends. Flat ironing is okay b/c I am not manipulating my hair but if any moisture hits, my 4a/b roots revert back. I avoid doing rollersets with more then 4 rollers when it gets too thick b/c I don't want to break my hair trying to part thru it. I also don't try to blowout my roots. Using the brush or attachment on that demarcation line does not seem like a good idea.
--Lastly I don't comb thru my NG when my hair is dry only when it's wet/conditioned.

• I use Pantene Breakage Defense Mask to manage my NG and make detangling easier.
  • I apply Sunsilk Straighten Up creme to NG and use the scarf method to airdry roots as straight as possible.
  • Sometimes I rollerset then Maxiglide the roots.
  • No combing or manipulation of NG between washes.

The Sunsilk leave-ins always leave my hair feeling coated so I only used them when I did a Wash N Go ( great for definition and getting rid of frizz) But when I tried with flat ironing it left my hair heavy and dull -- kind of like if you don't wash out all your conditioner...maybe I used too much??

I voted "conditioning" and "heat".

I wash 2x/weekly, dc 1x/weekly, make ample use of my leave-ins/serums (PM The Conditioner and Skinny serum right now) and rollerset, followed by blowing out the roots. Then I moisturize the ends daily, and bun or clip hair up until the next wash day.

No one else is having a major problem with the roots like I am? My hair is very thick so that combined with the newgrowth makes my hair very tough to even put into a bun. Creme of Nature (purple bottle) makes it so easy to comb through in the shower and after but once it dries the roots start to attack. Im at my wits end! Bantu knots get tangly and with the roots rising up makes me look ridiculous and I look terrible with ponytails if by some miracle I can make one and I when I flat iron the roots start to revolt against me!

Sorry but this is killing me.

I condition my hair very well. CON in the green bottle is good for detangling while shampooing, and I've started leaving in an instant conditioner to give my hair lots more slip than a true detangler product.

The real secret, though, is wearing a walf wig. I just keep my hair braided (in plats) underneath so it doesn't tangle much in the first place. I don't have to comb it or mess with it too much, either. And the best part is that I can just wash my hair--leaving the braids in--and not have to deal with detangling or styling at all.

*Products you use and how often
I use coconut oil. Lots of white rain tropical coconut con. Hollywood Beauty Olive oil cream.
*Appliances you use and how often
Fingers daily, huge wide toothed comb, smaller wide toothed comb daily or every other day.
*How often you manipulate the new growth Daily because my NG will mat up in a hot minute.

*Anything you do that's not 'on the books' (posted on LHCF)
*Whatever worked/works for you
I keep my NG detangled and stretched generally speaking. I bun 99.9% of the time so I detangle in sections, moisturize with a focus on my ends and NG. Then use my wide tooth comb and my fingers to make my bun. At night I baggy my bun, daytime I'm good to go.

I protective style 90% of the time so I don't bother my hair too much, I just do this twice a week:

I wash with a Giovanni shampoo, then saturate my hair with either a suave or V05 condish to detangle while in the shower, then I put in either NTM mask or D'fina 11 en 1 and put on my shower cap turn up the hot water and let it steam while I handle other business, then I rinse leaving a small amount of condish in the hair. After the shower, I spray my leave in mixture (suave or V05 condish with Lacio Lacio, and water), seal with SMB and let it air dry or blow dry on low heat, then I just put it in a bun, slick down the edges with some honey and tie it down.

The more you condition the softer the new growth will be making it easier to use your fingers to detangle and style your hair.

I naturally have extremely coarse mostly 4a hair with a lot of 4b and a little bit of 3c in the nape.

My newgrowth (more than 3 months worth) is giving me NO problem at all.

It helps that I don't have to style the newgrowth to blend in with my hair since I'm only texlaxed. I just let it do it's thing.

My regimen:

Detangle once a week after washing/deep conditioning with a wide toothed comb with my hair loaded up with leave in conditioner and jojoba oil.

At night, I wet my hair, fingercomb, and put leave in conditioner in.

In the morning I wet my hair, fingercomb and put jojoba oil in it.

Keeping the hair moisturized is key for me. My newgrowth is starting to "lay down"... no easy feat for someone with mostly 4a/4b hair.

I have almost NO tangling... even though the hair that is not natural is still very highly textured.

For a leave in I use nature's gate conditioners.

co wash with vo5

stopping taking vitamins has made my hair so much softer. it was like wire before. now my hair is less coarse and stays softer longer.

infusium 23 diluted with some water and mixed with a bit of mega tek and scurl( to when extra moisture is needed)=strong yet soft and silky feeling NG. im quite pleased. people love to touch my hair now adays:grin:

finger comb when possible.

off the books
i dont deep condition often. once in a blue moon. im focusing on leave ins and moisturizers that work well on my hair so that DC's arent necesarily needed.Ever since i started my leave in mix i have had no breakage at all.

also my hair likes protein.

Currently I prepoo w/ vatika oil or evoo shampoo w/ con (green) deep condition w/ AO GPB 1st then w/ Nadia's banana brulee and leave in w/ Giovanni direct airy dry then apply Nadia's Seyani Hair Butter to my hair and MT mix to scalp 1x a week ..Cowash 1-2x week w/ VO5 moisture milks S&C and apply leave in...doing all these steps so far is helping me maintain my ng.

Cwing and dcing became my best friends to get to where I'm at now at 14 wks. Oh, and also my favorite creamy leave-in.

One word...Yogurt. Once a week I condition for over an hour with whole milk organic yougurt and it turns my NG to butta! It is making my transition much easier to handle.

Once I reach 8 weeks post, I can't really bun my hair. My hair is so fine/thin that I try to have the least amount of resistance as possible. I continue my regular routine (DC/Wash 1x per week and that's the only time I comb) but I add a CW once a week and I only wear braidouts or a very loose braidout puff. I don't try to slick my hair back or wear my regular pony because my fine strands can't take the tension. I dampen my hair every night (especially the roots), add my leave in (mostly on the last 2-3 inches of hair) and seal with Amla, Vatika or coconut oil then put in 1 to 2 very loose plaits. I'm currently a few days shy of 10 weeks post and will probably stretch to 16 weeks unless I notice any breakage, in which case I'll get my touch-up sooner.

When I had relaxed/transitioning hair, the biggest tip I would suggest is to avoid combing from roots to ends. I also used heat to manage my new growth as well.

No one else is having a major problem with the roots like I am? My hair is very thick so that combined with the newgrowth makes my hair very tough to even put into a bun. Creme of Nature (purple bottle) makes it so easy to comb through in the shower and after but once it dries the roots start to attack. Im at my wits end! Bantu knots get tangly and with the roots rising up makes me look ridiculous and I look terrible with ponytails if by some miracle I can make one and I when I flat iron the roots start to revolt against me!

Sorry but this is killing me.

I feel the same way. I'm tired of my head looking like it's abnormally shaped everytime I try to put it in a pony. I justwant a round head again...

I can't co-wash makes my hair feel like carpet, but I agree with the conditioning, I'm still trying to find a good one. I need moisture but certain things that are "moisturizing" make my hair feel like carpet and weighed down.

I keep my hair with the just permed look with a blow dryer, I blow dry my roots straight with my conair straight brush, and blow the rest of my hair with a paddle brush. sometimes flat iron and voila you would never know i am stretching,

Condition condition condition! All the way I co-wash at least twice a week and deep condition after I shampoo on wash days! It also helps to keep the comb away from my hair..finger combing all the way!

I can't co-wash makes my hair feel like carpet, but I agree with the conditioning, I'm still trying to find a good one. I need moisture but certain things that are "moisturizing" make my hair feel like carpet and weighed down.

I keep my hair with the just permed look with a blow dryer, I blow dry my roots straight with my conair straight brush, and blow the rest of my hair with a paddle brush. sometimes flat iron and voila you would never know i am stretching,
Your hair looks amazing!

I voted using conditioning hair products; other techniques of mine are using Sylver2's Scarf Method, and low manipulation. I don't CW or wash frequently when I get past 8 weeks. Maybe 1/wk or once every 2 weeks max. My hair and (especially the NG) likes to be left alone!

Henna made my hair so manageable, gave it weight, and made it retain moisture so well that I was able to stretch for 6 months for the first time ever. I didn't have to do anything else special. But even my relaxed hair has lots of texture and I almost always wear my hair up so that definitely has something to do with it.

I am 3 weeks post right now with about 4-5 weeks of new growth due to my growth aids. The ONLY things that tame my new growth are deep conditioning 2-3 times a week with no heat for a few hours and coconut oil. I just roller set 1-2 times a week and leave the new growth alone. I am not trying to fight with it, i'm trying to work with it!

Back