making a henna/aphoghee schedule

ajoyfuljoy

Hi all,

I'm new to this board :newbie: and I've been using Aphoghee for almost a year. But I've been hearing about a lot of women using Henna. It seems like a cool thing to add to my care regime. I've been doing some research on it.

So I would like to. But I hear that it is drying. And I remember reading that someone said they had a bad turnout with their henna when it was done too close to an aphoghee treatment.

So I'm wondering, for those out their that use both, when do you use it. How do you alternate the two products and still keep your hair happy?

LaNecia

HI and welcome!! :wave:

I use both and what works for me is the following program:

Once or twice a month (depending on my schedule and alternating weeks) I'll do a henna treatment. I mix the henna and use it with a herb infusion (see my journal for details) and leave it on my hair from 2-4 hours. Rinse, poo and deep condition with a MOISTURING CONDITIONER.

On the alternating weeks, I use the Aphogee mixed with Castor Oil and cholesterol (Thanks Softresses). I vary the amount of aphogee from 1/2 tbsp to 2 tbsp depending on the need for my hair. This does wonders for moisturizing AND strengthening my hair. The exact recipe for this is also in my journal.

Hope that helps ya out some! I'm interested to see what some of our other henna gurus have to say! :yep:

janeemat

On the alternating weeks, I use the Aphogee mixed with Castor Oil and cholesterol (Thanks Softresses). I vary the amount of aphogee from 1/2 tbsp to 2 tbsp depending on the need for my hair. This does wonders for moisturizing AND strengthening my hair. The exact recipe for this is also in my journal.

Vix is this the Aphogee hard core protein that you let get hard on your hair? If so, I was wondering how you mix it with Castor Oil and Cholesterol. Please share.

Aveena

I preface my statement by saying "still a work in progress", but this is what I do now.

Extreme protein treatment right after touch up
I henna typically a few days to a week after my touch-up.

In the meantime, I'm gonna start doing regular strength protien 1x week as I amp up the moisture begining after 7 weeks post. This I think will prepare my hair for touch up and counter the extreme moisture needed to maintain ng.

ajoyfuljoy

thank you for all that great info. i'll be sure to check out your journal. all you ladies that have been doing this for a long time are a real inspiration to me :)

LaNecia

janeemat said:

Vix is this the Aphogee hard core protein that you let get hard on your hair? If so, I was wondering how you mix it with Castor Oil and Cholesterol. Please share.

Yes, it's one in the same! The mixing is very easy. You need a small bowl and a measuring spoon or regular tablespoon. I usually add Aphogee first only because the oil and cholesterol will stick to the spoon more if I do those first. I then add the desired amount of cholesterol conditioner and castor oil (or other desired oil). I then mix with either a spatula or wire wisk (just to ensure it mixes throughly (a fork has worked well in a pinch as well). It doesn't separate (as oil and water would). The consistency is almost like a cake batter. If you use a runny cholesterol (Like Dark & Lovely's), it'll be very runny. From there I apply to my hair, put on a plastic cap and sit under a warm hood dryer (or heat cap if I need to be mobile).

turnergirl

I do this. In general I do a deep treatment every week sometimes 2 times a week. I alternate weekly between DPR-11 and Lustrasilk Shea Butter with Cholestorol. Every 3 weeks I replace one of these with an Aphogee or Henna Treatment. So for example I would alternate the DPR and Shea Butter for 2weeks then the the third week I would do an aphogee then alternate DPR and Shea Butter the next 2 weeks then the third week I would do henna. I just keep the rotation going and my hair stays happy. This way I am getting my Aphogee treatment every 6 weeks and keeping my henna color tint going. I also get a light protien from the Cholesterol and moisture from the DPR. Sometimes, I Deep Treat with DPR on Sunday and Shea Butter Cholesterol on Thursday. Do that 2 weeks in a row and then choose either henna or Aphogee that week.

I always follow my henna and Aphogee with the DPR mixed with oil. It keeps my hair soft even with the protien usage.

ajoyfuljoy

Hey Turnergirl,

I know that this is off the subject from the thread, but I came across this website a little while ago. They're supposed to have really good products for ladies with ethnic curly hair. You might want to check it out if you haven't already. http://www.curls.biz/

janeemat

VWVixxen said:
Yes, it's one in the same! The mixing is very easy. You need a small bowl and a measuring spoon or regular tablespoon. I usually add Aphogee first only because the oil and cholesterol will stick to the spoon more if I do those first. I then add the desired amount of cholesterol conditioner and castor oil (or other desired oil). I then mix with either a spatula or wire wisk (just to ensure it mixes throughly (a fork has worked well in a pinch as well). It doesn't separate (as oil and water would). The consistency is almost like a cake batter. If you use a runny cholesterol (Like Dark & Lovely's), it'll be very runny. From there I apply to my hair, put on a plastic cap and sit under a warm hood dryer (or heat cap if I need to be mobile).

Wow! How did I miss this one. I will be doing this on Sat instead of using my hard core treatment. Does it have to be Cholesterol cond any cond would work? Thanks for sharing this.

LaNecia

janeemat said:
Wow! How did I miss this one. I will be doing this on Sat instead of using my hard core treatment. Does it have to be Cholesterol cond any cond would work? Thanks for sharing this.

I don't know on that one. The lady who suggested this has great hair, she uses Cholesterol...when in Rome...do as da ROMANS!! :lol: I stick with the cholesterol as well!

remnant

VWVixxen said:
HI and welcome!! :wave:

I use both and what works for me is the following program:

Once or twice a month (depending on my schedule and alternating weeks) I'll do a henna treatment. I mix the henna and use it with a herb infusion (see my journal for details) and leave it on my hair from 2-4 hours. Rinse, poo and deep condition with a MOISTURING CONDITIONER.

Hope that helps ya out some! I'm interested to see what some of our other henna gurus have to say! :yep:

Thanks for the information VWVixxen !