Not sure about why my hair is brittle.

Inches411

hello again ladies

i just have a quick question to ask. The other day i wash and did a quick 2 min aphoghee protein treatment to my hair and then a dc with kenra moisturizing and my hair sounded very snapping and hard. So i washed my hair again let out the aphoghee two minute reconstructor and just dc with elasta qp intense.. it came out better more moisturized but its still a little brittle. My question is that i noticed that although kenra is moisturizing it has wheat protein in it. I was wondering if the reason my hair came out so snappy and brittel was because i used both the aphoghee and alot of the kenra. Mind you the second time i didnt use either products with protein ( unless elasta qp has it im not aware) and my hair still kinda brittle but not as bad as the first time. I got a response from traycee already which helped alot but i just want to know what others think too. Thanks

Inches411

You need to use a moisturizing conditioner without protein in it

yea i figured that .just wanted to verify cause the elasta qp i used im not sure if it had protein in it cause remember i said that it was still kinda brittle but not as much.

shtow

the one protein that is in Kenra is a moisturizing protein. I can say that Kenra does not provide a lot of slip. What shmpoo and leave in do you use?

PassionFruit

If you washed the 2nd time with shampoo, you kinda defeated the purpose of the Kenra you put in the beginning...

Id do a co-wash with moisturizing conditioner with maybe some aloe and/or glycerin added

Inches411

the one protein that is in Kenra is a moisturizing protein. I can say that Kenra does not provide a lot of slip. What shmpoo and leave in do you use?

oh yea i forgot about that i used kenra moisturizing shampoo and umm i think ors cause i wanted to chelate. Did i mention when i dc the second time i also used grapeseed oil. And lacio lacio as a leave in

Sunshine0801

Kenra MC doesn't moisturize my hair well when I use it after an Aphogee protein treatment. I have to add honey and EVOO to it and deep condition overnight for my hair to be soft and moisturized.

HoneyDew

Are you sure you don't have mineral deposits in your water? Do you use a No-Lye relaxer?

My hair does this and NO CONDITIONER will fix it if my water is the cause. Nothing but my Kenra Clarifying will fix it. Others work as well, but the Kenra Clarifying Chelating saved my hair.

I cried one night because it was so brittle and NOTHING would help. It took me a while to get it, but all I did know was that something about that shampoo was helping my hair.

I did one of those water tests from Robert Craig and a light bulb went off. My area is not listed as a hardwater site in the hardwater area map, but maybe my pipes or something just happen to have mineral deposits.

Also, for me, protein is required for my hair to be able to retain moisture and be more elastic, and I notice that plant based proteins, like wheat and soy help my hair retain moisture well. But, I really doubt that is your hair's issue because the Aphogee 2 min is pretty mild and is actually moisturizing for some people.

Edited to add:

I only use ORS after touchups, but for me, it is not as good for me having hard water and all. Which is pretty odd because the chelating agent in that shampoo is pretty high on the list.

Inches411

Are you sure you don't have mineral deposits in your water? Do you use a No-Lye relaxer?

My hair does this and NO CONDITIONER will fix it if my water is the cause. Nothing but my Kenra Clarifying will fix it. Others work as well, but the Kenra Clarifying Chelating saved my hair.

I cried one night because it was so brittle and NOTHING would help. It took me a while to get it, but all I did know was that something about that shampoo was helping my hair.

I did one of those water tests from Robert Craig and a light bulb went off. My area is not listed as a hardwater site in the hardwater area map, but maybe my pipes or something just happen to have mineral deposits.

Also, for me, protein is required for my hair to be able to retain moisture and be more elastic, and I notice that plant based proteins, like wheat and soy help my hair retain moisture well. But, I really doubt that is your hair's issue because the Aphogee 2 min is pretty mild and is actually moisturizing for some people.

Edited to add:

I only use ORS after touchups, but for me, it is not as good for me having hard water and all. Which is pretty odd because the chelating agent in that shampoo is pretty high on the list.

hmm i dunno if i have hard water but i do have a no lye relaxer ( which is going to change soon imma try lye again ) the ors worked well the last time i used it but i may have to get soemthing stronger i dunno. So u think its my water and i should use a stronger chelating shampoo?

Inches411

Kenra MC doesn't moisturize my hair well when I use it after an Aphogee protein treatment. I have to add honey and EVOO to it and deep condition overnight for my hair to be soft and moisturized.

thats good to know.. thanks. im thinking about using Ao honeysuckle and rose next time to see if that helps

HoneyDew

hmm i dunno if i have hard water but i do have a no lye relaxer ( which is going to change soon imma try lye again ) the ors worked well the last time i used it but i may have to get soemthing stronger i dunno. So u think its my water and i should use a stronger chelating shampoo?

It is worth a try. Does your hair feel brittle to the touch after you rinse out your conditioner or only after it is dry and you are ready to style.

If my hair feels brittle and not soft and silky after rinsing, I know something is not right.

Inches411

It is worth a try. Does your hair feel brittle to the touch after you rinse out your conditioner or only after it is dry and you are ready to style.

If my hair feels brittle and not soft and silky after rinsing, I know something is not right.

only after its dry .. while its wet it feels great

HoneyDew

only after its dry .. while its wet it feels great

what are you using as a leave in?

Also, if my hair is on protien overload, sometimes it takes a few shampoo/conditioner/moisturizing cycles to get back in order. Not back to back either, I mean with days in between.