Maintaining Kanekalon hair?

jamoca5

Hello fellow LHCF-ers!

So, recently, I got kinky twists with kanekalon extensions (same style in my avatar). It's something I've never done before, and so far I'm loving it. But it's about to be wash day and I have no clue on special "routines" I should do regarding this style/type of hair. Should I use a certain type of shampoo/conditioner? Should I use a certain technique? I read an article about not using conditioner on kanekalon hair. What if I need to deep condition?

As you all can see, I'm kind of clueless. :wallbash: It's a little sad, really. Can someone PWEASE help?

I dont reccommend you wash them or DC them. If you do, water may make them puff up and unravel. Cleanse your scalp with cotton balls and Seabreeze.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
I wear braids with Kanekalon extensions, and I wash weekly. Just put the hair in a loose ponytail, dilute some shampoo in a water bottle and pour over scalp. Take care scrubbing your scalp, as you want to keep the style as neat as possible. Rinse with the shower head. Pour some conditioner in the bottle and dilute with water. Pour that mixture over the hair (not the scalp because of build-up). Rinse again and air dry. Spray on some leave-in conditioner. I also apply some serum to the ends while wet, but you may not need to do that. Done. HTH :)

Last edited:
Whenever I've used kanekalon hair for braids or twist, I wash just as I would my own hair. I would just apply conditioner for a couple of minutes and then rinse and/or use a leave in conditioner. I found that when wearing kinky twists with extensions, it looked better once it had been in a while or after washing.

Thanks!

So, just to reiterate, deep conditioner is a no-no?

Em...I have natural hair, and I think I'd get even more fuzz if I deep conditioned. I am also lazy, though :giggle:. You could try it and see how it works for you. I know quite a few ladies on the board DC in their braids, and it seems to work for them. It may work for you too.

Last edited:
I didn't DC. I used diluted shampoo and conditioner, washed out and then sprayed with non-creamy (liquid) leave in.

I started using deep conditioner (no heat), shortly before I was going to take the braids down.

Last edited:
Back