Mahalialee4... Just want to say thank you

fancypants007

for the Okra Oil recipe. I made a batch last Friday and I did exactly what you said in your recipe, and it came out perfect! I use it once a week on my scalp and then I massage it in for about 1-2 minutes with my MagGro Hair Stimulator hair roller. I have been eating okra for about 2 weeks at least 3-4 times a week and I have senegese twists in my hair and I already have about 1/4" of newgrowth. My hair has never grown this fast. Could it be the okra. I keep wondering if it is newgrowth or are the braids moving, slipping. This is the first time I have ever had senegese twists and I want to try to keep them in for about 3 months. During this period I will continue to use the okra oil on my scalp and eating okra to see if this will help me get even more newgrowth. I just wanted to send a thank you shoutout to you. I have used your other recipes when you were under a different name on another hair forum and that recipe was perfect too. It was the one using amla berries, coconut oil and nori strips and I used it as a pre shampoo hot oil treatment. My hair looked so healthy after those treatments. I stopped using it because I couldn't find the amla berries anymore. Anyway, thank you for being generous in sharing your hair recipes. How is your hair coming along.

MAMATO

So what is the recipe... do you put okra on your hair for real :) I love me some okras, my frigde is full of them :)

Pooks

for the Okra Oil recipe. I made a batch last Friday and I did exactly what you said in your recipe, and it came out perfect! I use it once a week on my scalp and then I massage it in for about 1-2 minutes with my MagGro Hair Stimulator hair roller. I have been eating okra for about 2 weeks at least 3-4 times a week and I have senegese twists in my hair and I already have about 1/4" of newgrowth. My hair has never grown this fast. Could it be the okra. I keep wondering if it is newgrowth or are the braids moving, slipping. This is the first time I have ever had senegese twists and I want to try to keep them in for about 3 months. During this period I will continue to use the okra oil on my scalp and eating okra to see if this will help me get even more newgrowth. I just wanted to send a thank you shoutout to you. I have used your other recipes when you were under a different name on another hair forum and that recipe was perfect too. It was the one using amla berries, coconut oil and nori strips and I used it as a pre shampoo hot oil treatment. My hair looked so healthy after those treatments. I stopped using it because I couldn't find the amla berries anymore. Anyway, thank you for being generous in sharing your hair recipes. How is your hair coming along.

OK you cannot post like that, saying thank you and all and don't share the recipe along with the results, give it up!! :look:

Anyone have any info/testimonials about okra and their hair?

mscocoface

FP now you know you are going to need to come up off of that recipe or folks liable to get ugly up in here. You know rule number 1 in the hair forum.

All haircare recipes are be shared with a quickness!:lachen:

sheba1

Is it the okra-wood concoction originally posted by Chanou in the thread Okra for your hair?

If so, here are quotes I picked out of the thread in regards to Chanou's original post and Mahalialee4's responses after she made it.

Update on okra-wood concotion- I caved in and called my aunt this weekend to ask her about the wood. She really couldn't tell me what the wood is good for, just that she has done it and it works, afterwards the conversation moved to my upcoming wedding on next september and all the many concotions she has to give me so I can make sure I keep my fiance happy until the date-
Okay we're from Haiti, so I've tried my best to translate all her words to English to the best of my knowledge- If anyone has light on this please chime in- Thanks. This is the conversation I had in PM land with Mahalialee4 which leads me to thinking that maplewood is not the wood she used but Pinetar-

This will totally clear up the mystery for you.
http://www.wildwnc.org/trees/Pinus_strobus.html

Here is a direct quote from the site:
"Associated Forest Cover
White pine is a major component of five Society of American Foresters forest cover types (70): Red Pine (Type 15), White Pine-Northern Red Oak-Red Maple (Type 20), Eastern White Pine (Type 21), White Pine-Hemlock (Type 22), White Pine-Chestnut Oak (Type 51). None of these are climax types, although the White Pine-Hemlock type may just precede the climax hemlock types, and Type 20 is very close to a climax or an alternating type of climax on the sandy outwash plains of New England (42). White pine occurs in 23 other forest types:

1 Jack Pine
5 Balsam Fir
14 Northern Pin Oak
18 Paper Birch
19 Gray Birch-Red Maple
23 Eastern Hemlock
24 Hemlock-Yellow Birch
25 Sugar Maple-Beech-Yellow Birch
26 Sugar Maple-Basswood
30 Red Spruce-Yellow Birch
31 Red Spruce-Sugar Maple-Beech
32 Red Spruce
33 Red Spruce-Balsam Fir
35 Paper Birch-Red Spruce-Balsam Fir
37 Northern White-Cedar
39 Black Ash-American Elm-Red Maple
44 Chestnut Oak
45 Pitch Pine
53 White Oak
57 Yellow-Poplar
59 Yellow-Poplar-White Oak-Northern Red Oak
60 Beech-Sugar Maple
108 Red Maple

White pine also grows with pitch pine (Pinus rigida), jack pine (P. banksiana), shortleaf pine (P. echinata), sweet birch (Betula lenta), bigtooth aspen (Populus grandidentata), quaking aspen (P. tremuloides), black cherry (Prunus serotina), black oak (Quercus velutina), white oak (Q. alba), and various hickories (Carya spp.). The ground vegetation in a white pine stand varies greatly, as evidenced by the number of forest cover types in which it is a major or minor component. Beneath pure or nearly pure stands of white pine, understory plants usually are sparse compared to those in the pine-hardwood mixtures (70). "

So you see the correlation then. It is all growing together all over the place like a part of the white pine family. So it could be the maple growing with the pines. Hope this helps. Post this to the board if you like. Bonjour.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks- Okay I got the wrong name- I just panicked for moment- The actual tree name is Bois de pin ou boispin. I went to home depot to actually make sure that I was saying the right name and it is not maple wood. Apparently there lots of home remedies that can be done with trees. Thanks.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

erable -maple (do not know how to do the grave A^accent on the computer.Anyway maple sugar is what we get from this tree. Here they speak two national languages...English and French Canadian. French Can. sucrerie...for the maple bush and for the maple grove...erabliere( overhead accents missing. Du pain is (bread)Is the word l'arbre (the tree) or is that the correct spelling as you have posted it....l'abre? Does she mean breadfruit? or some type of bread?

> Post your question on the board as there are several French speaking members. Between us we will try to figure this out. Ask her to spell it for you. Hope this helps Bonjour

Quote:

Mahalialee4 do you speak french if so you might be able to help with whole thing... I just called my aunt again who explain that she used "L'abre a pain" which I assume is maplewood in english. Is that so?? I'm afraid I might be mistranslating the ingredients.... does anyone else speak french and knows what maplewood translates to?

Cha! I have done the deed. I made the oil. It turned out be-utifully. Thick and now I have a sulphur carrot oil-black castor oil with pine tar (pine ashes), and before I removed it from the heat, I added a generous helping of MSM and stirred that in. I strained it well with cheese cloth and straining cloths, and filtered it into the large castor oil bottle with my funnel and bottled this baby. I am percolatin' as we speak, so to speak . I oiled my scalp with this a day ago, and put some throughout my hair. This stuff is thick but I could tell my hair loves it. The texture of my hair with this on is too sweet. I pinned it up in a half bun, tucking in the ends and covered my hair with a silk satin scarf. I will not need to oil the ends for the remainder of the week, so this is going to be my growout oil, since I will not have to disturb it. I will surge three days a week and check this....I can spray a moisturing leave in when I do the surge instead of daily. I am going to become the Ultimate Minimalist when it comes to my hair and see if I can retain 6 inches of growth this coming year.......I can wear this style casually as well as for dress, as it looks very sophisticated. My waves are so shiny looking, but best of all this is not greasy looking or feeling. Just think, only oiling anything once a week!!!!This is a keeper!!!! Bonjour mes amis.

Gee: I used about 6 okra and 3 medium sized new carrots, cut thin in circles after washing and rinsing them. Set aside. Then I took a bottle of Home Health Castor Oil app. 18 fl. ounces and started heating the oil and added the vegetables. I cooked a little above medium heat until the veg. shrunk and looked like wizened or dried articles. The pan looked all frothy inside and I cooked until the oil turned to a liquid and then set aside the pan onto another burner. Next I added about 1/4 tsp. of my liquid pine tar to the mixture, 2 tbl. of MSM powder, stirred it up and then put the pan back on the burner and cooked on a lower heat for another 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly. I set aside to cool for about 20 minutes, strained it into another container, then strained and funneled into the empty castor oil bottles. Hope this helps. WARNING!!!!Do not add any oils or anything else into this while you are cooking it, because anything cold will cause a lot of spitting and splattering!!!!

Re: Smell: To me it smells a bit like caramel pudding, probably because of the carrots After it is bottled and cooled, a drop of Ylang Ylang, or Lime, or Grapefruit would be nice or Vanilla Ess. Oil. I do think you will love the thickness and the non greasiness, if you want to do a love it and leave it style on your hair to grow it out. You definitely will not have to do this more than once a week, it is that rich! I spray my hair with Biolage leave in Hair tonic on the edges and brush gently each night as this is an area I want to thicken and grow faster. I spray the ends every thir day after the surgeing. If someone wanted to Surge more often...personal choice. I am just looking at limiting the manipulation of my hair. Hope this helps. Bonjour.

fancypants007

So what is the recipe... do you put okra on your hair for real :) I love me some okras, my frigde is full of them :)

I just started eating okra and I mix into my tomato soup with stewed tomatoes and it is not that bad. I didn't think I liked it because of the slime, but it is tolerable. Anyhow this recipe was posted sometime ago and I always copy and keep records of things I want to try. I just revisited this idea about okra and decided instead of using okra itself, I would use the okra oil and so I went to my trusted hairbook and found the recipe. If you go to SweetCashew's blog (http://regalbal.blogspot.com she too talks about an okra recipe and how she used it. To all those who are interested, the Mahalialee recipe is outlined below. I couldn't find okra anywhere, so I used the frozen. I laid them on a tray to dry out for about a day. They were still moist and I was afraid that when it hit the oil it was going to spit and splatter. Well I added all the ingredients at one time and allowed them to cook according to recipe and it worked perfectly just like Mahalialee said. I didn't have liquid pine tar but I did add MSM, rosemary, lavendar and cedar atlass essential oils. She says it is very rich and should only be used once a week. This is the way I will be using it because I am in braids and don't want alot of buildup.

Mahalialee4's Recipe
I used about 6 okra and 3 medium sized new carrots, cut thin in circles after washing and rinsing them. Set aside. Then I took a bottle of Home Health Castor Oil app. 18 fl. ounces and started heating the oil and added the vegetables. I cooked a little above medium heat until the veg. shrunk and looked like wizened or dried articles. The pan looked all frothy inside and I cooked until the oil turned to a liquid and then set aside the pan onto another burner. Next I added about 1/4 tsp. of my liquid pine tar to the mixture, 2 tbl. of MSM powder, stirred it up and then put the pan back on the burner and cooked on a lower heat for another 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly. I set aside to cool for about 20 minutes, strained it into another container, then strained and funneled into the empty castor oil bottles. Hope this helps. WARNING!!!!Do not add any oils or anything else into this while you are cooking it, because anything cold will cause a lot of spitting and splattering!!!!

guyanesesista

I remember this. I tried to make it but it was too messy for me so I threw it out. I might go back.

Would it need to be refridgerated?

fancypants007

I remember this. I tried to make it but it was too messy for me so I threw it out. I might go back.

Would it need to be refridgerated?

I'm not sure, she didn't say. I just keep in a dark corner in my pantry area. It's very thick. I looked at it yesterday and shook it up and it seems fine.