LYE RELAXERS

lonei

I know this question has been asked a million times but could someone please explain in as much detail as possible what the pros and cons are of both a lye and no lye relaxer?

In addition, how long would one suggest I wait if I were to transition from no-lye to lye?

Any recommendations of lye relaxers for a sensitive scalp?

kix

Hello Lonei,

There are many reviews on the Internet on why one should use no-lye vs lye-based relaxers, and basically it is how the hair follicle is chemically processed (i.e., broken down in to more relaxed state). However, personally I have found that since I am looking for a certain texture, look, and feel to my hair, I now only used lye-based relaxers. The main key to any relaxer is moisture loss. I use distilled water on the ends of my hair every night before I put into a protective style. Actually there are some very good lye-based relaxers in Sally Beauty stores for sensitive scalps. As far as transitioning from no-lye to lye, I would suggest waiting at least 8 weeks from last relaxer. I only relax two or three times a year, only when I can't run fingers through my hair and/or I have a special event to attend.

myco

Lye relaxers are supposed to be easier on the hair because they allow the cuticle to close completely after relaxing. However the sodium hydroxide can be rougher on the scalp. No-lye relaxers are easier on the scalp, but some people exprience dryness and brittleness because the cuticle is not as smooth and because there can be a calcium build-up on the strands of hair.

Some people who have switched from no-lye to lye find that their hair does not get as straight with the lye. When I was using a no-lye relaxer, I noticed that my hair tended to look a lot more dull when compared to the lye relaxer that I'm using now.

Vitale makes a lye relaxer for sensitive scalps, but it does not come in a mild formula. I think there is regular and then super. I use the regular, but I try to apply it and rinse it out in 15 minutes or less.

alibi

hair bored
ITA w/ the other ladies re: lye vs. no lye. Lye relaxers were always better on my hair, and I've tried everything! The best lye relaxer I ever used when I was relaxing was PCJ Gentle Treatment. It's gentle, didn't burn my scalp, and your hair comes out very smooth, silky, and shiny.
PCJ has a lot of different relaxers, both lye and no lye, but the one I'm referring to looks like this: