Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2024

What problem are you looking to resolve so you CAN have Luscious, Healthy Ends in 2024?

• Total voters

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I took my cornrows down, I believe it's been a couple of weeks! :shocked: My hair was so dry bc I find it harder to keep up on my scalp and hair stuff when my hair is loose, due to tangling. It's one of the reasons I primarily live in braids. So last night, I did one of my ER hair treatments that I like to do when my hair is really dry. I parted my hair into 6 sections. In each section, I drenched my hair in an EVOO/Safflower oil mix. And then followed it up with two, thick, moisturizing condishes. And then braided up the section and moved on to the next one. I usually LOC to M&S where I load up on the L and do a little of the O and then slather on the C. But when I do this ER tx, for some reason, skipping the L, drenching my hair in the O and then when I follow up with the C, it actually seems to create water! Neither of them do it on their own, it's only when I combine the two MINUS Liquid. It seems to make my hair melt and then I can detangle easier and then braid it up.

My hair has been loose bc I have been itching to install some extensions for the past few weeks as a way to protect my ends. Also, I'm feeling like I want some long hair right now :gorgeous: without risking my hair health. But I still can't decide which style to do. I don't want to do a crochet install. For me, crochet is for cold weather and I'm looking to have my scalp exposed more. I wanted really mini twist extensions, not quite micros, for more flexibility. Then, I considered installing jumbo/mambo twist extensions. Both styles would allow me to wear a big top bun, which I think is my goal right now. And in both styles, my ends are protected by the kanekalon hair.

I need to hurry up and make a decision or I'll have to do my ER tx again. lol
To check my understanding, the ER tx(Emergency Room? Treatment) is your own creation, right? It's a process you do for yourself, it's not a product, right?

What's the ratio of your olive oil mix to your safflower oil mix, and are there other things within it the oil mix?

What are the names of the two moisturizing conditioners, please?

I understand that you skipped the liquid (L) portion in the (LOC) process this time> You usually use liquid oil and cream (LOC) to moisturize and seal (M&S), so I am not sure what product you [usually] use for the liquid part. If you stated it, my apologies for overlooking it. What do you usually use for the liquid part, if and when you do use it?

The reason I'm all up in your business is maybe to help clarify.

LOC.jpeg

I created this diagram in 2008 based on my process I developed about how to strategically seal the hair.

Layer 1 is a water based.
Later 2 is oil based .
Layer 3 is cream (emulsified product) based.

It is in my Fokti with about 18,000 views so someone just pulled the acronyms out and shortened it to LOC. (Fotki was down and inaccessible for about five (5) years, by the way).

I mention all this to say that I created this process based on science as it relates to evaporation time of moisture, or water, from the hair. The hair can only uptake so much water before it gets to a saturation point and then the hair can't accept any more water. That water can come from the air, the rinse water, the liquid product one uses or a combination of all.

For your hair, what it seems to me is that the modification of your process limits the amount of water that you ARE using and are putting on your strands and the amount/quantity of water is the perfect amount for your hair. You have found the PERFECT balance. I hope you document the actual quantities, products and processes. Your observation about making water in your hair as it relates to your process, is a pertinent and salient point that could have been easily overlooked when seeking out what has contributed to your success and what you can attribute to your hair success. This is key: Every head of hair has an amount of water that is enough or a limit. It's not about 'hygral fatigue' for me*-:nono2:which people use to talk about reaching a 'damage point' using too much water.

It's more about, what is the quantity of water I need to use for my hair, in my, that satisfies my hair's thirst level, for optimum health of MY hair. This question comes up LONG before we get to hair damage with water. Before your post here, I didn't even think to ask THIS question!

Thus, as a result your hair stays moist and supple because it is not being overwatered. So what your process communicates to me is that not only does afro-hair need to be moisturized with water, one has to identify and determine the correct level and balance of water for one's hair, for optimum and ideal results.

Another level of complexity added to hair. I always say, "Hair is not rocket science. It is FAR more complex!"

I have no idea why this post triggered my senses, but I am glad it did.

Ladies, if you can find the level of water that YOUR hair likes, meaning the exact quantities at the right time, you may be able to up your
moisturizing game levels to fit YOUR hair perfectly, like @MzSwift

Moisture and protein balance is important as Audrey brought to our attention.

Now, it seems Moisture and hair balance are important, too! Interesting...

Last edited:

Chicoro

I really like this lady's hair take down process for old, protective styles:

Coily Diaries is the YouTube Channel
Video Title: Best braid takedown after 2 MONTH protective style NO BREAKAGE & MAXIMUM LENGTH retention.

It reminds me of Naturally Nica's process who has about 40 inches of hair.

1. She starts with a prepoo of glycerin spritz hair (saturates dry, dirty hair with spray bottle of glycerin and water mix)
  2. Applies and oil mix to scalp (jojoba mix)
  3. Applies generous amount of leave in conditioner to hair
  4. Follows up with a generous amount of castor oil on hair
  5. Puts in Blueberry Whipped Butter (water based butter)
  6. Puts plastic over head
  7. Gets under hooded dryer to marinate hair for 45 minutes
  8. Hair visibly darker and moist @ 4 minutes and 50 seconds video mark!!
  9. She dries hair completely to go to bed ( I would have to detangle at this point)

Pick out what interests you! Most of us do 90% of this at some point in our hair routines. It's a nice refresher. This video was part of the trigger I got regarding @MzSwift 's process.

Chicoro

I have identified and eliminated lots problematic processes for my hair. My biggest biggest hair breakage happens when I take down my hair. Using powders to wash, using butters on my ends and ELIMINATING ALL BONDING PRODUCTs have been key.

I stopped using heat and Aphogee due to melasma on my face. I put back Aphogee and use the diffuser on my hair with a blow dryer so that helps protect my skin on my face.

I love how my hair feels when I deep condition with heat. So, now I want to put back heat with conditioning while keeping my face cool. Time to solve this!

Chicoro

The Power of Observation and Small Changes and Knowing YOUR hair!

Major Growth in Just Two Months - Was it Plaits?
Natural2020 Channel

Small change of adding braids in place of twists, hair went from Line 6 on her t-shirt to Line 9 on her t-shirt

THEN, she says at around @10:02 ..."I applied more butter than I usually do..."

Me: Screams in a strong whisper, "Butter! It's the Shea buttaaaaaa!"

Last edited:

MzSwift

To check my understanding, the ER tx(Emergency Room? Treatment) is your own creation, right? It's a process you do for yourself, it's not a product, right?

What's the ratio of your olive oil mix to your safflower oil mix, and are there other things within it the oil mix?

What are the names of the two moisturizing conditioners, please?

I understand that you skipped the liquid (L) portion in the (LOC) process this time> You usually use liquid oil and cream (LOC) to moisturize and seal (M&S), so I am not sure what product you [usually] use for the liquid part. If you stated it, my apologies for overlooking it. What do you usually use for the liquid part, if and when you do use it?

The reason I'm all up in your business is maybe to help clarify.

View attachment 495831

I created this diagram in 2008 based on my process I developed about how to strategically seal the hair.

Layer 1 is a water based.
Later 2 is oil based .
Layer 3 is cream (emulsified product) based.

It is in my Fokti with about 18,000 views so someone just pulled the acronyms out and shortened it to LOC. (Fotki was down and inaccessible for about five (5) years, by the way).

I mention all this to say that I created this process based on science as it relates to evaporation time of moisture, or water, from the hair. The hair can only uptake so much water before it gets to a saturation point and then the hair can't accept any more water. That water can come from the air, the rinse water, the liquid product one uses or a combination of all.

For your hair, what it seems to me is that the modification of your process limits the amount of water that you ARE using and are putting on your strands and the amount/quantity of water is the perfect amount for your hair. You have found the PERFECT balance. I hope you document the actual quantities, products and processes. Your observation about making water in your hair as it relates to your process, is a pertinent and salient point that could have been easily overlooked when seeking out what has contributed to your success and what you can attribute to your hair success. This is key: Every head of hair has an amount of water that is enough or a limit. It's not about 'hygral fatigue' for me*-:nono2:which people use to talk about reaching a 'damage point' using too much water.

It's more about, what is the quantity of water I need to use for my hair, in my, that satisfies my hair's thirst level, for optimum health of MY hair. This question comes up LONG before we get to hair damage with water. Before your post here, I didn't even think to ask THIS question!

Thus, as a result your hair stays moist and supple because it is not being overwatered. So what your process communicates to me is that not only does afro-hair need to be moisturized with water, one has to identify and determine the correct level and balance of water for one's hair, for optimum and ideal results.

Another level of complexity added to hair. I always say, "Hair is not rocket science. It is FAR more complex!"

I have no idea why this post triggered my senses, but I am glad it did.

Ladies, if you can find the level of water that YOUR hair likes, meaning the exact quantities at the right time, you may be able to up your
moisturizing game levels to fit YOUR hair perfectly, like @MzSwift

Moisture and protein balance is important as Audrey brought to our attention.

Now, it seems Moisture and hair balance are important, too! Interesting...

OMG, how amazing!! I had no idea that you came up with the process!! Well, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge as I attribute it to helping me keep hair on my head. I literally only had hair 3-4 inches long until I started incorporating LOC in my hair care, along with Ayurveda and low-no manipulation hairstyles! I was 30 years old when I finally found the info so it was a long time that I rocked short hair and now I've grown/retained to WL multiple times! So, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! Your generosity has changed my life for the better! :kiss:

Alright, so my mix is 50/50, EVOO/Safflower. My hair has always loved EVOO. And then back in 2010 or so when I started to learn about Ceramides, of the list of oils high in ceramides, EVOO and Safflower (and Grapeseed) were the only ones my hair liked. I used to do a mix those three only until about 2020. I wanted to find an oil that was good for both my hair and my skin so that I could just use one product. My hair loved those oils but my skin didn't. Almond oil ended up being the oil that both my hair and skin loved. I've only been using my EVOO and Grapeseed for Ayurvedic oil infusions and texlax day. Safflower is very heavy but my hair needed something more so I had to bring out those big guns. lol

Early on, I made it my mission NOT to base my regi around certain products but instead to focus on techniques or ingredients. I saw so many ladies' regimens shatter because they were based around using certain products and the companies either discontinued them or changed the formulas so they weren't the same. I didn't have long hair then but I knew that I did NOT want that to happen to me. So I have my Ayurvedic products that I make and then non-Ayurvedic products that I substitute in from time to time in my C step for both my daily M&Sing and my ER tx. Lol, yeah you're right, it's emergency room treatment because I see it as me providing emergency care to my hair. :giggle: This time the products were some I purchased from Amazon. A generic, unscented bulk "moisturizing conditioner" that I bought to use as a base for my Ayurvedic condishes. It does not have slip at all on its own but it has a very thick, sort of sticky texture that I like with my Ayurvedic mixes. And the other was the Amazon brand knock off of Tresemme Moisture Rich condish that I used to love.

My L is almost always water. It's usually in a spray bottle of 95% water, a squirt of cheap moisturizing condish and 5% of an oil (usually EVOO or an EVOO/Grapeseed mix). Sometimes, I just water rinse my hair in the shower for the L. Beginning in 2018, though, I started substituting various Ayurvedic teas as the "water" in my spray bottle mix and as my L in general. There's usually Hibiscus in there somewhere. What I found was that my hair became naturally shinier and appeared healthier than when I didn't incorporate any Ayurveda.

So my gauge for when my hair is properly balanced and moisturized is if my hair feels soft when dry. I have fine strands that are a cottony texture when natural and my hair feels like what I imagine a cottony cloud would feel like, when it is properly moisturized.

But when I do my ER tx, my hair feels slippery or melted. It feels drenched and the condish + oil on my hair feels like they have turned into water. When I apply my oil mix, it is very oily. My hair doesn't have a lot slip. And then the second I squeeze the conditioners into my hair after slathering them on, the mixture turns into water. I usually prefer to braid my hair rather than twist it. However when I do minis, they are usually started as braids and then twisted the majority of the way for convenience. I am considering going back to braids instead as they allow for the style to last longer than when I do twists. I do believe braids are instrumental in my retention and I don't handle them much except to do my daily M&Sing.

MzSwift

I have identified and eliminated lots problematic processes for my hair. My biggest biggest hair breakage happens when I take down my hair. Using powders to wash, using butters on my ends and ELIMINATING ALL BONDING PRODUCTs have been key.

I stopped using heat and Aphogee due to melasma on my face. I put back Aphogee and use the diffuser on my hair with a blow dryer so that helps protect my skin on my face.

I love how my hair feels when I deep condition with heat. So, now I want to put back heat with conditioning while keeping my face cool. Time to solve this!

Amen!

The takedown is the most dangerous part of my process as well!! It's why I can't leave styles in for months like lots of ladies do successfully. I am concerned about matting and I don't have the time (or energy) that I used to have to spend slowly taking down hair. BUT this discussion is definitely helping me to focus on finding ways to minimize my takedown tangling.

Chicoro

OMG, how amazing!! I had no idea that you came up with the process!! Well, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge as I attribute it to helping me keep hair on my head. I literally only had hair 3-4 inches long until I started incorporating LOC in my hair care, along with Ayurveda and low-no manipulation hairstyles! I was 30 years old when I finally found the info so it was a long time that I rocked short hair and now I've grown/retained to WL multiple times! So, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! Your generosity has changed my life for the better! :kiss:

Alright, so my mix is 50/50, EVOO/Safflower. My hair has always loved EVOO. And then back in 2010 or so when I started to learn about Ceramides, of the list of oils high in ceramides, EVOO and Safflower (and Grapeseed) were the only ones my hair liked. I used to do a mix those three only until about 2020. I wanted to find an oil that was good for both my hair and my skin so that I could just use one product. My hair loved those oils but my skin didn't. Almond oil ended up being the oil that both my hair and skin loved. I've only been using my EVOO and Grapeseed for Ayurvedic oil infusions and texlax day. Safflower is very heavy but my hair needed something more so I had to bring out those big guns. lol

Early on, I made it my mission NOT to base my regi around certain products but instead to focus on techniques or ingredients. I saw so many ladies' regimens shatter because they were based around using certain products and the companies either discontinued them or changed the formulas so they weren't the same. I didn't have long hair then but I knew that I did NOT want that to happen to me. So I have my Ayurvedic products that I make and then non-Ayurvedic products that I substitute in from time to time in my C step for both my daily M&Sing and my ER tx. Lol, yeah you're right, it's emergency room treatment because I see it as me providing emergency care to my hair. :giggle: This time the products were some I purchased from Amazon. A generic, unscented bulk "moisturizing conditioner" that I bought to use as a base for my Ayurvedic condishes. It does not have slip at all on its own but it has a very thick, sort of sticky texture that I like with my Ayurvedic mixes. And the other was the Amazon brand knock off of Tresemme Moisture Rich condish that I used to love.

My L is almost always water. It's usually in a spray bottle of 95% water, a squirt of cheap moisturizing condish and 5% of an oil (usually EVOO or an EVOO/Grapeseed mix). Sometimes, I just water rinse my hair in the shower for the L. Beginning in 2018, though, I started substituting various Ayurvedic teas as the "water" in my spray bottle mix and as my L in general. There's usually Hibiscus in there somewhere. What I found was that my hair became naturally shinier and appeared healthier than when I didn't incorporate any Ayurveda.

So my gauge for when my hair is properly balanced and moisturized is if my hair feels soft when dry. I have fine strands that are a cottony texture when natural and my hair feels like what I imagine a cottony cloud would feel like, when it is properly moisturized.

But when I do my ER tx, my hair feels slippery or melted. It feels drenched and the condish + oil on my hair feels like they have turned into water. When I apply my oil mix, it is very oily. My hair doesn't have a lot slip. And then the second I squeeze the conditioners into my hair after slathering them on, the mixture turns into water. I usually prefer to braid my hair rather than twist it. However when I do minis, they are usually started as braids and then twisted the majority of the way for convenience. I am considering going back to braids instead as they allow for the style to last longer than when I do twists. I do believe braids are instrumental in my retention and I don't handle them much except to do my daily M&Sing.
Thanks for the detailed description. There’s a lot to unpack in your reply. Lots of information I need to process.

Thank you for clarifying.

Chicoro

For the record, I went to visit my family in Mexico City in 2006, Christmas. I noticed my then husband’s make cousins were wearing high standing Mohawks with their heavy, Mexican hair. I asked what product were they using. They told me it was called Extreme gel. So we went to the neighborhood pharmacy and I got a few jars.

There are no videos on YouTube about Xtreme Gel in or before 2006.

I have introduced and given many things, ideas and processes to the Afro hair care world, freely with no expectation of something in return.

Yet, I have received incredible, priceless, unexpected blessings from the world of Afro hair care. Directly, from many of you within this thread and others on this site. And I am thankful.

Chicoro

Alright @newgrowth15 , I've arrived at the end of my first batch of fenugreek, rosemary and clove oil. It's been lovely! I've got my fenugreek seeds soaking for my second batch ever, of fenugreek seeds. Thanks for bringing this wonderful recipe and incredible results to this thread!

Pre-poo Time:
  • Spray hair section with warm water.
  • Put on mix of glycerin, oil, aloe vera and essential oils
  • Coat with fenugreek/rosemary/clove in olive oil mix
  • Hair is in TWISTS for this, not braids. Easier to work with.

Prepoo April 28th 2024.jpeg

Took my time and enjoyed my process and my hair. No tearing of ends. No sticky hair.
Only commercial hair product used after this was cheap conditioner.

No huge hair balls. No extreme breakage.

Night, night everyone!

Last edited:

Chicoro

@Chicoro I had no idea that you are the inventor of the famous LOC process!! I feel like I just found out that I know a celebrity.
1714452771565.jpeg
yes, @GettingKinky ...YOU do know a celebrity.

@Chicoro I did not know you were married once upon a time. Mind=blown on this fine Sunday evening :laugh: :abducted:

Look at me, blowing two minds, in one thread, one right after another. :giggle: Ya'll want some more.

I uploaded that How To Strategically Seal Your Hair (LOC) document around December 2008 but had talked about it before. I have receipts. I would challenge ANYONE to find anything on YouTube, specifically about LOC prior to December 2003. I was using the BAGGIE process in in 2003, which I got from Adrienne using the baggie process from her.

I started layering and trying to understand why the layering I was doing was working so wel. Most people were finishing with an oil. After analysis and experience, I found it more effective in practice, to finish with a cream. So, I reversed engineered why it worked, like I do most of my hunches that I learn about and later try to explain with science. Sometimes it's 'sister science'. :giggle:

I used to talk about stuff first, then I would document it. Just like I do here, now. I do understand that people come up with things and ideas simultaneously, too.

I usually have my receipts.

There are MANY, MANY, MANY things and very prominent ideas that I have contributed to the natural hair community. People take my information and my analysis and use it as if they did the work.

I know WHAT information is mine because I come to it by EXTRAPOLATION, meaning, it was not in any book or article. I made the connections and came to the conclusions and arrived at the ideas, myself. But the person using the information doesn't know it. But I KNOW it.

It's all par for the course. I personally know a very FAMOUS scientist who specialized for 40 years in hair and he also had his very famous hair diagram and findings taken, lifted, with no credit.

I share my information freely on the internet. I've got books and books of information and analysis in my head, about hair. It's getting closer to and time to get it out on paper and into books and into the world.
Ms Chicoro has a hair book series that will be debuting. I've been saying this for YEARS... !!!

18,000 views in an 'obscure' Fotki, which went down and dark for five (5) years...

The truth eventually comes out.

I have been very, very blessed.

It's all good!

Last edited:

Chicoro

I have made another discover about my hair. It likes to be lubricated from root to tip, but in a specific way:

1. Entire hair strand - Likes and responds well to warm water from root to tip sprayed before oiling it.
  2. Roots - Hair likes a liquid oil or an infused liquid oil like olive oil.
  3. Hair shaft- Likes a a Shea butter/Cocoa butter/Coconut oil mix from root to tip
  4. Ends - Likes unmixed, straight Shea butter and castor oil on tips, covered in baggie (wet ends at night first)

No fancy or pricey products, nothing. Just plain old water and some kind of grease or butter.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I have made another discover about my hair. It likes to be lubricated from root to tip, but in a specific way:

1. Entire hair strand - Likes and responds well to warm water from root to tip sprayed before oiling it.
  2. Roots - Hair likes a liquid oil or an infused liquid oil like olive oil.
  3. Hair shaft- Likes a a Shea butter/Cocoa butter/Coconut oil mix from root to tip
  4. Ends - Likes unmixed, straight Shea butter and castor oil on tips, covered in baggie (wet ends at night first)

No fancy or pricey products, nothing. Just plain old water and some kind of grease or butter.
Hair is a fancy lady lol. She likes what she likes. *sips tea with pinky out*

Chicoro

I am backing up @Chicoro with that wet line extreme gel. I remember discovering it on your fotki. I had never seen it before. That original formula was the goat. I used to buy the MACRO size. Now it’s just ok but I can’t use it on its own.
Well, thank you! You are right, the formula did change. When I first discovered it in Mexico City in December 2006, it could hold up the heaviest of hair. Now, not so much. I still buy it, though.

Receipt: :giggle:

I even ask if anyone knows where to get it in the US!

xtreme dec 2006.png
I introduced the term ´finger detangling’ and the use of Aphogee 2 Step on natural hair, too, as well as other ideas which are considered ‘common knowledge’ today. Afro hair has been good to me. I am grateful and thankful for what I have received from it!

Last edited:

Chicoro

I just bottled my second batch of fenugreek/rosemary/clove oil. The warming clove reminds me of home, during the holidays, when my mother would prepare ham glaze which contained cloves.

@newgrowth15 and her hair results have kept me inspired to use this oil. And @snoop and her clay mix brought my hair back from the brink. I appreciate you!

Last edited: