Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2024

What problem are you looking to resolve so you CAN have Luscious, Healthy Ends in 2024?

• Total voters

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I watched this YT short the other day and I've been second guessing eating them. One of the commenters talked about how it messed up her period.

There was a lady I used to watch YEARS ago who spoke about sprouted fenugreek and had a couple of cautions as well. She took them too, but I believe identified some things to consider before doing so. I can't remember what she said. :nono: I'll see if I can find her videos.
Ooo, I love them old school videos.

Chicoro

Yesterday, I started the herbal infusion that I've been procrastinating over. It has fenugreek seeds and leaves, but I'd never sprouted them. I wasn't going to, but I'm like why not, so the night before last I rinsed two cups of fenugreek leaves and left them in water to soak overnight. Yesterday morning, I wrapped them in a paper towel and put them in a glass bowl and covered them with a plastic lid. I set the bowl near to my heating vent. They've started sprouting! This morning, I'll rinse them again and wrap them again and leave them overnight.

After they've sprouted, I'll either dry them out over the stove or on low heat in the oven then add them to the oil infusion that I've started.

For the oil infusion, what I think I might do is dump out my two jars worth into a bowl and double boiler it for a day (low heat), then I'll re-jar it. This way, I can start using it sooner.

I have a question about one of the steps: Why do we rinse the sprouts on day 2, after they start sprouting?
My suggestion is to let the sprouts air dry. Heating them introduces another dimension that is different and could alter the activity and benefits of the sprouts within the oil.

There are so many places and points to intentionally and unintentionally modify the original recipe of @newgrowth15 that she presented here.

The next batch, I'm sticking to the letter and do EXACTLY what she does.

MzSwift

I have a question about one of the steps: Why do we rinse the sprouts on day 2, after they start sprouting?

I searched to make sure I was doing the process correctly and multiple sources said that for the best sprouts, they should be rinsed 2-3 times per day. BUT I'm not sure WHY. HTH! :)

MzSwift

I watched this YT short the other day and I've been second guessing eating them. One of the commenters talked about how it messed up her period.

There was a lady I used to watch YEARS ago who spoke about sprouted fenugreek and had a couple of cautions as well. She took them too, but I believe identified some things to consider before doing so. I can't remember what she said. :nono: I'll see if I can find her videos.

Precisely why I'm cautious about ingesting new things - even things that are healthy and good for us. There's always side effects and sometimes they don't play well with other stuff I'm ingesting.

Collagen is one of those things for me too. I think it improved my skin and nails but messed with my periods so bad! They were late and light.

MzSwift

THIS IS related to Luscious Healthy Ends!

Are you going to use your sprouts to make a hair oil? Or, are you going to focus on the sprouts soaking water to use for your hair? Or, am I jumping the gun and need to wait until your sprouts are finished germinating - because THEN that's when you plan to use the sprouts for the hair oil?

So far, this thread and prior threads under this same Luscious Healty Ends Challenge title, have spawned or perpetuated our interest in and use of:

• Queen Shea butter
  • Clay washing
  • Micro trimming and now...
  • Sprouted fenugreek seeds
None of these are contradictory, meaning that you don't necessarily have to to use to use on over the other. One can implement the use of all four (4) in an already, established hair routine. In my opinon, all four (4) have proven or, are proving to be beneficial to luscious, healthy ends.

I think the discussion and conversations related to fenugreek and so many other things in this thread keep this topic alive and interesting and useful.

You know, I was originally thinking of using them in my scalp and hair oils but I let the ingredients in my oils sit for a loooong time and I'm too scared of growing something that I might not want on my scalp. lol

I'm thinking I may skip adding it to my tea sprays - my Ayurvedic tea has been serving me well for years. In fact, I've got so much good stuff in my oils and teas already, I'm not gonna push it. I will likely use it as the "water" in some of my steps though. For instance, in cornrows, I prefer to put my scalp tonic 50/50 with water into an applicator bottle and apply it that way since it's so much easier and it gives my scalp more water. And after this morning, I really like the idea of pouring a rinse on my hair every other day or so. It felt really good to do that today, even though it's really cold out. My hair just loves water! So I could keep up these rinses using the sprout rinse water.

Once I'm finished making rinses out of the sprouts, I think I will let them dry out and then grind them up to add to a DC. Also, I know the sprouts are used for cooking so I could probably come up with a dish for my family using the sprouts or even growing the microgreens. I could see using them in a nice chicken and rice dish.:scratchchin:

snoop

I searched to make sure I was doing the process correctly and multiple sources said that for the best sprouts, they should be rinsed 2-3 times per day. BUT I'm not sure WHY. HTH! :)

I did a quick google search and this is what I've found (various sources):

-- Rinsing is one of THE two most critical aspects of sprouting! Given proper moisture a seed will germinate. Rinsing is the process by which we add moisture to our sprouts. Draining is the process by which we regulate the amount of moisture our sprouts have available - until their next Rinse.

-- Why wash microgreens?: Any produce, grown inside or outside will have micro-organisms like molds and yeasts on their surface. With microgreens, the key is to rinse and spin them dry just before you use them.

This I have to keep in mind for next time:

Can you use tap water for microgreens?

Your microgreens will do much better if you balance the pH of the water you use to water them. Most city tap water has a ph of 7 to 8 which is too alkaline. You will be more successful if you adjust the pH of your water to a slightly acidic pH closer to 6.

snoop

You know, I was originally thinking of using them in my scalp and hair oils but I let the ingredients in my oils sit for a loooong time and I'm too scared of growing something that I might not want on my scalp. lol

This is me, too. I just finished a jar from 2020, this is part of the reason why I was thinking of forced drying. I did see a YT video of someone drying on the stove.

I'm going to see how the bulk of Indians do it. On one hand, I do want to air dry so that I can be sure that I'm not destroying a lot of the nutrients as @Chicoro suggested, but on the other hand I want to make sure that I get as much of the water out as possible so that I don't ruin my oil.

Chicoro

I'm thinking I may skip adding it to my tea sprays - my Ayurvedic tea has been serving me well for years. In fact, I've got so much good stuff in my oils and teas already, I'm not gonna push it. I will likely use it as the "water" in some of my steps though. For instance, in cornrows, I prefer to put my scalp tonic 50/50 with water into an applicator bottle and apply it that way since it's so much easier and it gives my scalp more water. And after this morning, I really like the idea of pouring a rinse on my hair every other day or so. It felt really good to do that today, even though it's really cold out. My hair just loves water! So I could keep up these rinses using the sprout rinse water.

Once I'm finished making rinses out of the sprouts, I think I will let them dry out and then grind them up to add to a DC. Also, I know the sprouts are used for cooking so I could probably come up with a dish for my family using the sprouts or even growing the microgreens. I could see using them in a nice chicken and rice dish.:scratchchin:
It seems to me that you have analyzed the situation and in conjunction with knowledge of yourself and processes, have come up with a solution and game plan for yourself. That's always the best way to do things, know thyself and do what you think is best for you!

Chicoro

The sprouts are germinating and shedding and you want to keep supplying them with fresh clean water to hydrate them and to keep them clean. Also, if you water them 2x per day, they sprout faster. They sprout EVEN faster if you wash them with baby bath warm water.

snoop

I still need to check YT, but I did find this (https://earthenmamma.com/3-ways-to-dry-microgreens-and-why-you-should/)

How to dry microgreens​

Drying microgreens is not a common practice because they are typically consumed fresh, but here are three methods and reasons why you might consider drying them:

3 reasons to dry microgreens​

Extended shelf life: Drying microgreens removes moisture, which helps prevent spoilage and extends their shelf life.

Convenience: Dried microgreens are convenient to store and use year-round, especially when fresh microgreens are not readily available.

Nutrient retention: Proper drying methods can help retain the nutritional value of microgreens, allowing you to enjoy their health benefits even when they’re not fresh.

Air drying​

Air drying preserves the microgreens by removing excess moisture, which helps prevent mold growth and extends their shelf life.
  • Lay the microgreens in a single layer on a clean kitchen towel or paper towel.
  • Place them in a well-ventilated area away from direct sunlight.
  • Depending on humidity levels, allow them to air dry for several hours to a day.
  • Once dried, store them in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.

Dehydrating​

Dehydrating microgreens preserve their nutrients and flavor while removing moisture, making them shelf-stable for longer.
  • Use a food dehydrator set to a low temperature (around 95°F to 115°F).
  • Arrange the microgreens on the dehydrator trays in a single layer, ensuring good air circulation.
  • Dry them for several hours until they are crispy and brittle.
  • Store the dried microgreens in an airtight container away from light and moisture.

Oven drying​

Oven drying quickly removes moisture from microgreens, preserving their nutritional content and flavor.
  • Preheat your oven to the lowest setting (usually around 170°F or lower).
  • Place the microgreens on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
  • Put the baking sheet in the oven and leave the door slightly ajar to allow moisture to escape.
  • Check the microgreens periodically and remove them once they are dry and crispy.
  • Store dried greens in an airtight container once cooled.

Chicoro

I did a quick google search and this is what I've found (various sources):

-- Rinsing is one of THE two most critical aspects of sprouting! Given proper moisture a seed will germinate. Rinsing is the process by which we add moisture to our sprouts. Draining is the process by which we regulate the amount of moisture our sprouts have available - until their next Rinse.

-- Why wash microgreens?: Any produce, grown inside or outside will have micro-organisms like molds and yeasts on their surface. With microgreens, the key is to rinse and spin them dry just before you use them.

This I have to keep in mind for next time:

Can you use tap water for microgreens?

Your microgreens will do much better if you balance the pH of the water you use to water them. Most city tap water has a ph of 7 to 8 which is too alkaline. You will be more successful if you adjust the pH of your water to a slightly acidic pH closer to 6.
I personally use regular tap water. The water in France does not have chlorine. BUT, when I was sprouting in the US, I used tap water and had no problems sprouting. I'm sure the cleaner the water the better, meaning sans chlorine, but I always try to work with what is at hand, in hand or with what I got, and go from there!

snoop

The sprouts are germinating and shedding and you want to keep supplying them with fresh clean water to hydrate them and to keep them clean. Also, if you water them 2x per day, they sprout faster. They sprout EVEN faster if you wash them with baby bath warm water.

I guess, better late than never. I feel like you should have included this information up front.

:rolleyes: :drunk:

I'mma be rinse these babies a few times today.

Chicoro

I still need to check YT, but I did find this (https://earthenmamma.com/3-ways-to-dry-microgreens-and-why-you-should/)

How to dry microgreens​

Drying microgreens is not a common practice because they are typically consumed fresh, but here are three methods and reasons why you might consider drying them:

3 reasons to dry microgreens​

Extended shelf life: Drying microgreens removes moisture, which helps prevent spoilage and extends their shelf life.

Convenience: Dried microgreens are convenient to store and use year-round, especially when fresh microgreens are not readily available.

Nutrient retention: Proper drying methods can help retain the nutritional value of microgreens, allowing you to enjoy their health benefits even when they’re not fresh.

Air drying​

Air drying preserves the microgreens by removing excess moisture, which helps prevent mold growth and extends their shelf life.
  • Lay the microgreens in a single layer on a clean kitchen towel or paper towel.
  • Place them in a well-ventilated area away from direct sunlight.
  • Depending on humidity levels, allow them to air dry for several hours to a day.
  • Once dried, store them in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.

Dehydrating​

Dehydrating microgreens preserve their nutrients and flavor while removing moisture, making them shelf-stable for longer.
  • Use a food dehydrator set to a low temperature (around 95°F to 115°F).
  • Arrange the microgreens on the dehydrator trays in a single layer, ensuring good air circulation.
  • Dry them for several hours until they are crispy and brittle.
  • Store the dried microgreens in an airtight container away from light and moisture.

Oven drying​

Oven drying quickly removes moisture from microgreens, preserving their nutritional content and flavor.
  • Preheat your oven to the lowest setting (usually around 170°F or lower).
  • Place the microgreens on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
  • Put the baking sheet in the oven and leave the door slightly ajar to allow moisture to escape.
  • Check the microgreens periodically and remove them once they are dry and crispy.
  • Store dried greens in an airtight container once cooled.
Looks like you can dry as you have considered! I have no dehydrator, the stove temperature at my place is dubious. So, air drying it is.

Also, you inspired an idea. I have a spinner that I am going to use the next time to remove as much water from my lil sprouts as possible.

snoop

Looks like you can dry as you have considered! I have no dehydrator, the stove temperature at my place is dubious. So, air drying it is.

Also, you inspired an idea. I have a spinner that I am going to use the next time to remove as much water from my lil sprouts as possible.

That's a great idea! Maybe I'll try spinning my sprouts then leaving them on a towel overnight and see what happens.

My oven will destroy them if I'm not careful. It runs hot.

Dare~to~Dream

After they've sprouted, I'll either dry them out over the stove or on low heat in the oven then add them to the oil infusion that I've started.
*Peaks in thread and sees Snoop's * lol.

I am not a part of this challenge but I always read the posts in here. I just wanted to say that the bolded is a good idea/very good practice in drying out the seeds. It is what I would do if I was going to sprout seeds after soaking them. I read one of Dr. Mark Hyman's books years ago and used to subscribe to his emails for healthy recipes. He mentioned the nuts and seeds that were healthy for you and while fenugreek wasn't mentioned other seeds and nuts were. He said to always buy them raw but soak them first. After soaking them in water, roast them in the oven on low heat just enough to dry out the water to prevent mold then you can ingest them. The key is to just dry them out enough to remove any moisture while also retaining the benefits. I would think that would be a good practice for fenugreek seeds as well. If you don't want to use the stove or low oven, maybe laying them flat on an absorbent towel in a warm area for a few days would dry them out pretty decently as well. That way you won't have to use heat at all and it would be okay for something like a topical hair oil. For nuts and seeds that I would eat, I would only use a low oven.

ETA: I just realized that there were more comments in here that I had not read and see that you already posted an article on air-drying and low heat oven drying. I will let my post stay up anyway LOL.

Last edited:

snoop

*Peaks in thread and sees Snoop's * lol.

I am not a part of this challenge but I always read the posts in here. I just wanted to say that the bolded is a good idea/very good practice in drying out the seeds. It is what I would do if I was going to sprout seeds after soaking them. I read one of Dr. Mark Hyman's books years ago and used to subscribe to his emails for healthy recipes. He mentioned the nuts and seeds that were healthy for you and while fenugreek wasn't mentioned other seeds and nuts were. He said to always buy them raw but soak them first. After soaking them in water, roast them in the oven on low heat just enough to dry out the water to prevent mold then you can ingest them. The key is to just dry them out enough to remove any moisture while also retaining the benefits. I would think that would be a good practice for fenugreek seeds as well. If you don't want to use the stove or low oven, maybe laying them flat on an absorbent towel in a warm area for a few days would dry them out pretty decently as well. That way you won't have to use heat at all and it would be okay for something like a topical hair oil. For nuts and seeds that I would eat, I would only use a low oven.

ETA: I just realized that there were more comments in here that I had not read and see that you already posted an article on air-drying and low heat oven drying. I will let my post stay up anyway LOL.

@Dare~to~Dream Heyyyy! :wave: You should join us!

This isn't hair related but, I used to do this with nuts and seeds as well and it made a huge difference in terms of not getting bloated after. I didn't realize that I wasn't digesting them well until I saw a change in my waistline.

I stopped roasting them -- and eating nuts in general -- but I really should start, again. Homemade granola is so yummy!

Dare~to~Dream

Hey!
You should join us!
Maybe I should. I just trimmed my hair on yesterday so I am already looking for ways to implement a few changes to my hair regimen to encourage healthy growth and retention.
This isn't hair related but, I used to do this with nuts and seeds as well and it made a huge difference in terms of not getting bloated after. I didn't realize that I wasn't digesting them well until I saw a change in my waistline.
Yes, this was one of the main reasons he said you needed to soak and slightly roast the nuts or seeds. It does cause less bloating which makes it easier to digest.
I stopped roasting them -- and eating nuts in general -- but I really should start, again. Homemade granola is so yummy!
Yes! So yummy. I have not made homemade granola in over a year so this post is making me want to gather some ingredients and make it again soon.

Back on topic, I actually have some fenugreek seeds and some other ones that I used to make some infused oils in the past. I didn't notice much in terms of what it did for my hair or its growth so maybe sprouting them is the key factor that I am missing. I do need to use them up before they expire so I will see if I want to make some sprouted fenugreek oil or not.

Last edited:

snoop

Back on topic, I actually have some fenugreek seeds and some other ones that I used to make some infused oils in the past. I didn't notice much in terms of what it did for my hair or its growth so maybe sprouting them is the key factor that I am missing. I do need to use them up before they expire so I will see if I want to do make some sprouted fenugreek oil or not.

I started Ayurveda with infused oils (at the time, the masks were too strengthening). What I found it that it reduced shedding and it worked within the week. I think that fenugreek is good for reducing shedding and for strengthening, so you might find that it will benefit your ends.

MzSwift

I started Ayurveda with infused oils (at the time, the masks were too strengthening). What I found it that it reduced shedding and it worked within the week. I think that fenugreek is good for reducing shedding and for strengthening, so you might find that it will benefit your ends.

This is why I decided not to pour the second rinse on my hair today. I put it in the fridge instead. I tend to lean towards more moisture on my strands and anything close to protein overload is terrifying to me.

So I just let my hair dry over the day and now I'm GHEing overnight. I'll pour the sprout rinse water on my hair when I rinse them tomorrow morning, cover with oil and a thick moisturizing DC and see how it goes.

My sprouts are already really getting longer!

snoop

I gave my sprouts a baby bath yesterday afternoon and again this morning. I'll do it again this afternoon and ready or not, I'm going to dry them tomorrow. I think I made way too much, so I'll either eat what I don't use or dry everything and put the remainder away for another time.

MzSwift

OK, just finished my sprout water rinse. Again, my scalp feels ALIVE!! I scratch it after I pour on the rinse and then apply my scalp tonic. Then I oil my hair and slather on condish and then loosely bun. I cover with satin or silk and then go about my day.

I like to do this little loose top bun on wet hair. Instead of pulling the hair partially through underneath, I do it in front and then my bun kinda plops on top of it and covers my ends. It's one of my favorite lazy hair styles. So here it is today after applying the rinse, oil and condish.

1710950105384.png 1710950171769.png

And now it's under a satin scarf and knit cap bc that's how I roll these days. lol

I'm actually thinking of incorporating a daily rinse as a part of my morning routine whenever I don't do it in the shower - esp if I shower at night instead. I've been doing that more lately which has resulted in me regularly skipping my water rinses. :sad: I also think I'm just gonna do the Fenugreek 2-3 days a week and the other days might be a tea of some other herbs I have on hand. I'll probably be going back to cornrows soon so that'll make things even easier.

OK, back to the sprouts.

Here are my Day 2 sprouts. I guess I have to take them out of the dark on Day 3 so that they can start getting some light. I'm not really sure I want the actual microgreens though. BTW, this is only 3 little plastic spoonfuls of seeds. And this is a standard Prego spaghetti sauce jar. That small amount produces a lot of sprouts!

1710949932440.png

Chicoro

Awful, awful, awful set-back for this young lady. I HATE to see deep sadness and loss in a black woman's face and eyes.

Product Alert: Just be aware

For now, STAY AWAY from: Cantu Comeback Curl Next Day Curl Revitalizer
1710966039651.png

Ingredients:
Ingredients. Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Polysorbate 20, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum (Fragrance), Magnesium Sulfate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Citric Acid, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Coumarin, Hexyl Cinnamal.

How A Product Messed Up My Hair ! My hair was locked ! Never again!​

Dimma's Place

She says this product is what made her hair stick like glue. She does not mention all the products she put in her hair or what was her process from beginning to end. So, the information is not complete.

BUT, we don't need no setback up in here.

So, just putting this out here to be careful in these hair products, off the shelf, streets.

Dare~to~Dream

I think what I am going to do is make sprouted fenugreek water. I will use it to spritz my hair a few days of the week rather than using an infused oil on my scalp. I have made fenugreek water before with aloe vera juice; it was half fenugreek water and half aloe vera juice. The seeds just weren't sprouted. From what I remember that spritz was not as strengthening as the one I make with brahmi and amla powders so it should be okay to use a few times a week.

Last edited:

caribeandiva

Human being
Congratulations for analyzing your process and identifying an action and taking that action to shift your hair results to a positive outcome! It's the little things that can make a tremendous difference and it can be SO HARD seeing and identifying those little things and knowing when and how to make the changes to those little things!

You're welcome! I am glad the information in this thread has proven helpful to you. The ladies that helped me to pay attention to what I was doing to my hair were and are:

@Lylddlebit
@snoop
@MzSwift
@GettingKinky
@caribeandiva
@GGsKin
@Nay
@keranikki

These are the ones off the top of my head. I am sure I have missed some others, so forgive me for any oversight everyone as it is not intentional. I mention them because if a post comes up from them, there is very likely to be an incredible gem or two within their posted information.
Aww… thank you for the compliment! I feel like I should go back and read this thread from the beginning. I haven’t been on here in over 3 months. Whenever life gets stressful I realize that I start neglecting my hair. Basically family nonsense. :nono: I haven't straightened my hair or done a length check in ages. I forgot the last time I did one. This is a hard reset for me. For the most part I’ve been leaving my hair alone under my headband wig. I just haven’t been as consistent with my wash schedule or moisturizing my hair in between washes.

Chicoro

Aww… thank you for the compliment! I feel like I should go back and read this thread from the beginning. I haven’t been on here in over 3 months. Whenever life gets stressful I realize that I start neglecting my hair. Basically family nonsense. :nono: I haven't straightened my hair or done a length check in ages. I forgot the last time I did one. This is a hard reset for me. For the most part I’ve been leaving my hair alone under my headband wig. I just haven’t been as consistent with my wash schedule or moisturizing my hair in between washes.

The thread is starting to bubble with aha's and old things that are new and new things! I am sorry to hear that you having issues within your family. I hope that everyone is doing well physically. Hair is an extension of ourselves. So it sounds to me that it's time for you to make some time for you and your hair. It's good you have on a headband as that will lend lots of protection to your hair. When you do get around to your hair, you just may be pleasantly surprised by what you see.

newgrowth15

Seeing all of the different methods and ways of making and using fenugreek is very exciting to me. My daughter suffered major breakage in her crown from using Olaplex last year (her hair is relaxed). She has been using a combination of the fenugreek oil, rice water and rosemary water in rotation ever since. She said the breakage has finally stopped and she is seeing new growth in the area. She asked me to cornrow her hair so that she can begin wearing wigs to give her hair a rest. With the amount of thickness and length she has already attained, I am expecting great results over these next few months.

newgrowth15

I add 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds to my teacup along with an herbal teabag and honey. After I finish my tea, I eat the softened seeds. They help to lower blood sugar, cholesterol and are a source of fiber. There are many more benefits of fenugreek.

@Chicoro, I love the fact that you researched and posted some of the scientific studies regarding the benefits of fenugreek. May we all attain long, healthy and strong hair as a side effect of using fenugreek.