Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2015/2016

spellinto

My ends started breaking off after I wore them out in a snowstorm :look:

I moisturized and they're somewhat normal again. They should be fine after a light protein treatment and DC. I'll probably give them another dusting too.

Leo24Rule

Yesterday I boiled my tea concoction of green, black, coffee, and nettle. My first time making a spritz. I just hope my experiment works and doesn't make my hair break off. My ends are soft and supple. I braided my hair up in 10 braids and wigged it yesterday. It was a long straight wig. My boyfriend kept complimenting me saying I should wear my hair like that more often...:lachen:

Leo24Rule

My ends started breaking off after I wore them out in a snowstorm :look:

I moisturized and they're somewhat normal again. They should be fine after a light protein treatment and DC. I'll probably give them another dusting too.

I'm not familiar with protein treatments, so what light protein treatment did you use?

LivingInPeace

To join, post
1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc
Natural

2. Current Hair Length
Mostly APL but my longest layer is at the bottom of my shoulder blades

3. Why are you joining this challenge?
I want to maximize retention and see if I still have growth potential at my age.

4. What have you tried to improve your ends?
Doing protective styles most days, finger detangling, increasing my protein treatments

5. What are you going to try to get those healthy ends?
Start heavy sealing with oils and shea butter, trim as needed

6. Will you update us 1x a month? Yes

spellinto

I'm not familiar with protein treatments, so what light protein treatment did you use?

Leo24Rule: I'm using Aphogee 2 Min Reconstructor (a light protein) at the moment.

I usually use a medium protein called Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus once a month, but I still have half of the Aphogee left so I'm going to use it up.

spellinto

Leo24Rule: I'm using Aphogee 2 Min Reconstructor (a light protein) at the moment.

I usually use a medium protein called Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus once a month, but I still have half of the Aphogee left so I'm going to use it up.

meka72

Yesterday, my daughter clipped my ends (at my request) and cornrowed my hair. She said that my ends looked good and didn't need to be clipped. I applied S-Curl, ceramide oil blend and Ynobe Shea cream to the ends and they feel great right now.

Later, I'm going to apply some moisturizing sprays and then baggy for an hour or two.

Leo24Rule

I cut my ends early Thanksgiving morning and have braided up my hair in 10 braids with applied a homemade tea/coffee mist, leave-in conditioner, and shea butter. For those who braid their hair as protective hair styles alone or under braids...do you re-braid daily? If not what do you do with the fly-aways and tame the hair above the braids so the hair won't knot up?

Dee Raven

I noticed a bit of breakage during washing and detangling today. I think it had to do with my increased use of protein. I was a little worried b/c I flat ironed my hair a couple of weeks ago and I saw some people do a protein treatment to strengthen their curls. Now I'm hearing/reading that low porosity hair doesn't really need protein treatments and I'm wondering if that is the case. Anyhow, I used my Garnier Damage Eraser for the first time today, it smells great and I really hope it helps. We'll see.

faithVA

I noticed a bit of breakage during washing and detangling today. I think it had to do with my increased use of protein. I was a little worried b/c I flat ironed my hair a couple of weeks ago and I saw some people do a protein treatment to strengthen their curls. Now I'm hearing/reading that low porosity hair doesn't really need protein treatments and I'm wondering if that is the case. Anyhow, I used my Garnier Damage Eraser for the first time today, it smells great and I really hope it helps. We'll see.

Dee_Raven
If you are flat ironing you need protein. A good keratin protein treatment would be what I recommend. I think it works better than some other types of protein that just tend to coat the strands.

faithVA

Colored my hair last night so I will be doing a protein treatment on Wednesday night.

My ends still need some work. I probably could use a professional trim but going to see if I can get some length first.

toaster

I'm still sealing with shea butter. I've also been wearing my hair up in a bun or in two flat twist pigtails out of laziness. My ends are full of single strand knots, but they always are and it has never hindered my progress so I keep them.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
I washed and did a ponytail roller set yesterday and slept with the rollers in ( which was a pain) but my hair came out smooth and bouncy. My ends look ok. I've been doing SD and using Organix Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage serum coupled with sealing with Shea butter. The problem I'm having now is my hair is chronically dry no matter what and now that it's getting cold it's getting worse.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Colored my hair last night so I will be doing a protein treatment on Wednesday night.

My ends still need some work. I probably could use a professional trim but going to see if I can get some length first.
What color did you use?

Leo24Rule

I washed and did a ponytail roller set yesterday and slept with the rollers in ( which was a pain) but my hair came out smooth and bouncy. My ends look ok. I've been doing SD and using Organix Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage serum coupled with sealing with Shea butter. The problem I'm having now is my hair is chronically dry no matter what and now that it's getting cold it's getting worse.

Maybe lightly coat your hair with an oil/serum and then seal with Shea butter daily?

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I posted this originally in the Random Hair Thoughts..I'd like to post again as my update. Well I finally have taken down my mini-braids a couple days ago. My hair did grow a lot and I absolutely adored them, but I don't think I'll be putting them back in. See, my hair hates being combed, even though I used tons of conditioner and water. I was so excited that once I got in the shower to wet my hair, I did a protein treatment and everything before I realized I didn't actually shampoo my hair lol. So the next day I clarified (was I supposed to do that?) then I used Jane Carter's SLS-free shampoo, conditioned with Sukin's Moisture Restoring Conditioner (smells like lemongrass), then braided my hair while it was soaking wet, let it air-dry for a bit before I blow-dried it. Surprisingly, I lost more hair finger-detangling then when I actually used the comb attachment on the blow-dryer (love my Yellowbird..you and me must never part), which is the only time I actually used a comb other than when I took down the braids. Now I gotta figure out if I want to incorporate more heat into my regime (every 2 weeks, blow-dry only). So many variables. Well they don't call it a (healthy) hair journey for nothing...

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I moisturized my ends in sections last night. I didn't want any strands left behind :lol: I used my Hello Hydration/aloe/argan leave in. It is super creamy, fragrant amd light. Although it is water based this didn't revert my hair one bit :nono:

faithVA

Decided to wear a twist out today so I converted my 2 strand twist into larger twist. So I used that time to snip more knots and split ends. I can feel the splits but they can be hard to single out. So this takes me forever. But I have very few tangles when I separated my twist and my ends looked much smoother when I finished my twist out. So each month is bring progress.

Babygrowth

Haven't sealed my ends lately been under a lot of stress and didn't have my products with me. But today I will seal lightly with oil because I'm relaxing tmrw and doing a corrective and want good results. I'm not trimming until May so I will have to be extra careful.

Evolving78

Haven't sealed my ends lately been under a lot of stress and didn't have my products with me. But today I will seal lightly with oil because I'm relaxing tmrw and doing a corrective and want good results. I'm not trimming until May so I will have to be extra careful.
let's us know how it turns out!

Leo24Rule

So far with me spritzing my hair every other day with homemade teas (black, green, nettle, and coffee) followed by slathering Shea Butter to all of my hair my ends have been very soft and silky.

faithVA

Improving my ends has helped my perm rod set staying neat. Last time I did a rollerset I had to force the curls under because the ends were brittle. But this time, I was able to let the curls do their things. Next year looks promising.

faithVA

Did a protein treatment and a lot of search and destroy this weekend. I plan to do a curlformers set soon. Will decide then if I need to dust my ends.

meka72

As part of yesterday's wash day, I M&S'ed using S-curl, ST kink drink, CR almond jai, ceramide oil blend, ST pomade (scalp rub) and applied more heavily on the ends. I'll do this at least 3 times during the week.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Im wearing a bun today so my ends are protected from the cold. I massaged my scalp with lavender oil this morning diluted with water. I didn't add oil, because my hair is oily enough already

Evolving78

I have my hair in some OG bobby Johnson cornrows! Lol If this works, this will be my go to style for this coming year until I reach my goal length, as well as keeping my hands out of my hair. My ends are pinned down, but I either wear my scarf around the house or I wear my wig.

toaster

Going to try my twist out today with just a thick leave in lotion and my shea butter on the ends. I really want my hair to dry faster, but I hope my ends don't suffer from not having two heavy creams and Shea butter like I usually do. I'll report back.