Low Manipulation UGH!

How many of you ladies are using no comb/brush regimes? I really cant grasp the concept. No brushing i can do but I feel weird if my hair hasn't been combed throughly at least twice a day. Finger combing just isn't enough either. :ohwell:

iri9109

i havent combed/brushed my hair in over a month (besides using a soft brush to slick the front down for a puff), and my hair has never felt or looked better, IMO. i usually detangle on wash day w/ my fingers but thats it. i think no comb/brush results vary from person to person, and with different lengths. i might not be able to continue the no comb/no brush routine when my hair gets longer.

LittleLuxe

Raises hand.

...I thought I'd have more to contribute, lol.

I haven't used a brush or comb in a very long while, I'm not sure if this counts but I do use the tail of a comb to part my hair when applying growth aids.

Other than that, nada. I think maybe you're experiencing withdrawal from a usual practice than (maybe) suffering from not using a brush or comb. Unless I have a ton of newgrowth I've realized my hair doesn't really need a ton of combing/brushing to lay flat and that it's healthier for my hair.

AimWard

I'm creeping up on a year since I last put a comb/brush in my hair for anything other than switching my part. My hair is thriving because of it. Almost no breakage (most of my breakage was happening when I was combing). I'm also 100% natural and when I was combing, I was only doing so once a week. So ditching the comb altogether was easy for me. It was tedious and time consuming when I first started doing it (I go over every curl clump from root to end and slip out the sheds and tangles) but now I've got the hang of it.

curlyninjagirl

i havent combed/brushed my hair in over a month (besides using a soft brush to slick the front down for a puff), and my hair has never felt or looked better, IMO. i usually detangle on wash day w/ my fingers but thats it. i think no comb/brush results vary from person to person, and with different lengths. i might not be able to continue the no comb/no brush routine when my hair gets longer.

ITA :yep: Try it, OP. I think you'll be surprised at how much you don't need it. I gave up the comb and brush gradually. First I started with only once a week, then once a month, then completely switched to fingercombing only. I tailored my whole regimen around avoiding tangles (washing hair in 6 sections, for example.) I think the benefits are worth giving up the luxury....ain't gonna lie though, I do miss brushing my hair sometimes.

LushLox

I can't give up the comb completely, but when I'm consistently bunning I don't need to use a comb much at all. After I moisturise my hair in the evening I just tye it down. In the morning I will finger comb my hair into my bun, I only use the comb to smooth down the fly aways. Then I don the scarf again to set the hair. This works really well for me; the only time I comb and detangle my hair is on wash day.

Sianna

I don't see myself giving up the comb anytime soon. My nails are super thin and snag really easily, so I think I'd do myself more harm than good. I think that if you keep your hair stretched most of the time and are careful, you can comb your hair with minimal damage. Especially if you only comb your hair when it's soaked with conditioner using a wide-tooth comb. :yep:

KurlyNinja

I haven't used a comb in a while, but I still do use a bristle brush to help me smooth my hair down. Theres no such thing as hand smoothing with these two textures in my head. Maybe after I'm down transitioning I can throw out the brush all together but I doubt it.