Low Manis: Please SCHOOL ME!

Armyqt

Ok, so I've seen enough to be convinced that low manipulation grows the hair. But please tell me, how do you go about not combing your hair? I can rock a ponytail everyday. It's what I do anyway. However, I still need to take it down to moisturize daily. There's no way I can just put it back into a ponytail without at least brushing the base (with my denman). So please get in here and help a sista out. Thanks. :yep:

Ok, so I've seen enough to be convinced that low manipulation grows the hair. But please tell me, how do you go about not combing your hair? I can rock a ponytail everyday. It's what I do anyway. However, I still need to take it down to moisturize daily. There's no way I can just put it back into a ponytail without at least brushing the base (with my denman). So please get in here and help a sista out. Thanks. :yep:

For me low manipulation=growth retention
I only use a comb when detangling before I wash my hair and rollersetting. During the week I wear a rollerset, that lately I pin up in a bun, 1 or two braids that I will pin up, or some sort of updo. I don't miss using a comb, because I can do whatever I need to do with my fingers. (detangling, smoothing and positioning my hair so it looks like it could have been brushed) I am able to keep my hair neat. At night, I may do 4 large pincurls in my hair, using the method Sleekandbouncy posted. My hair tends to tangle a lot, but I have no problems, and no breakage doing this. I don't use brushes, because all they ever did was rip my hair out. Also I wear a hair net and a silk scarf, if I don't want to sleep on my silk pillowcase. I think it helps, because it keeps the hair in place. HTH

It takes getting used to at first but it's just exchanging an old habit for a new one. Smoothing with the hands instead of using a brush is easy to do and it still looks just as good. If you need more smoothness, tye a silk or satin scarf tightly over your hair for a few minutes.

For me low manipulation=growth retention
I only use a comb when detangling before I wash my hair and rollersetting. During the week I wear a rollerset, that lately I pin up in a bun, 1 or two braids that I will pin up, or some sort of updo. I don't miss using a comb, because I can do whatever I need to do with my fingers. (detangling, smoothing and positioning my hair so it looks like it could have been brushed) I am able to keep my hair neat. At night, I may do 4 large pincurls in my hair, using the method Sleekandbouncy posted. My hair tends to tangle a lot, but I have no problems, and no breakage doing this. I don't use brushes, because all they ever did was rip my hair out. Also I wear a hair net and a silk scarf, if I don't want to sleep on my silk pillowcase. I think it helps, because it keeps the hair in place. HTH

Thanks for your reply. I could see that working for styled hair. :yep:

It takes getting used to at first but it's just exchanging an old habit for a new one. Smoothing with the hands instead of using a brush is easy to do and it still looks just as good. If you need more smoothness, tye a silk or satin scarf tightly over your hair for a few minutes.

Thanks Isis. I'm going to try this and see how it works. :yep:

For me, I can go a week or two without combing my hair.

I do a wash and go style. I wash my hair twice a week. After I clean my hair, I put in leave-in, moisturizer, then oil. I pull it back in a ponytail then lift in a bun and place a scraf on. It is flat but not smooth when this is done. But after it dies a bit it looks much smoother.

I think this helps my ends stay thick. I only blow drying and flat ironing once every 3 months (after my relaxer). I wear a bun or ponytail everyday after that.

Last edited:
Right now, I'm trying to go longer than 2 weeks without combing. You get used to smoothing with your hands after a while. The scarf method works really well to smooth and flatten the edges and top of your hair:yep:.

Back