Long Time Dominican Salon Goers

Country gal

Lately I have been getting Dominican Blowouts on my natural hair. I love the results. I was wondering are there any LHCFers who have been going for a long time. I just don’t want to end up with bald patches or thinning hair. I had a cousin who would frequent the Dominican Salons but her hair was thinning.

Janet'

Although I do not frequent anymore...I was a regular customer for 2 plus years at the Dominican salon. I loved the results as far as straightening was concerned (I was transitioning at the time). However, the top of my head (crown) was badly broken off...I guess my hair popped where they focused the blow dryer...Also, my hair didn't retain nearly as much length as I could/should have (I didn't lose- I basically maintained at shoulder length)...so, although, I appreciated them for providing a service...I will also say that from a health perspective, my hair didn't thrive...Perhaps, it is my type (4a/3c)

diadall

I have been going for a long time but I only go once every 3-4 months. I like to go for length checks. I haven't been since August and I don't plan on going again until maybe a length check in March or April.

Glamiam

I personally go once every 3 or 4 months only for a relaxer, but I have family and friends who go religiously and their hair has really grown and retained alot of length. I never understood the steaming hot blow dryer on already straightened relaxed hair :ohwell: but the people i know who goes to them tell them to hold off on the blow drying because for some reason they always insist on using it even after a roller set:perplexed

Country gal

I went yesterday. I thought they were obsessive with the blow dryer. I like my hair with bounce and curls. I think they over fried it. Maybe I will drop down to once a month.

outspokenwallflower

I'm relaxed and I used to go to the dominican salon, EVERY WEEK for about 4 years or so. My hair is naturally thin, but going to the salon didnt thin it anymore than it was; my hair actually felt nice and full. It also grew rrrrreally fast and retained great length. Keep in mind, I got a blow out every week except for when I'd get a touch up, AND every 3 months or so, I would constantly get highlights.

Allandra

I went yesterday. I thought they were obsessive with the blow dryer. I like my hair with bounce and curls. I think they over fried it. Maybe I will drop down to once a month.
I've gone to a Dominican salon twice in my life (back in 2003). I agree with you about them being obsessive with the blow dryer (talk about HOT).

Country gal

@Outspoken- that's good to know. Everyone raves over my hair since I have been going to the Salon. I just like the perk of having someone else deal with my thick hair.

Allandra- I bet Reniece was not heat obsessive. The first time I went to the salon they were great but the third time was not the charm. They used to much heat and blew out the curls. I may have to try Reniece one day.