Spinoff to black women with long hair-Dominican Salons

keylargo

This was touched on briefly in the original thread but I'm still not clear. What do the Dominican stylists do differently that keeps AA hair healthier? Is it the rollersets? You can request a rollerset in any salon. It can't be the blowouts because I hear that a lot of heat is used. Is it mainly the products? If so, what are the common products used in the Dominican salons? I want to go make a purchase /images/graemlins/grin.gif Please shed some light cause I've never been to a Dominican salon before. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

webby

Think Slim
I think that all salons, even white salons use heat, but the application is quite different.

In AA salons, the heat is directly applied to the hair, e.g. curling irons, flat irons, straightening combs. In some instances, there is nothing to regulate the temperature of the instrument.

In Dominican salons the heat comes from a hard-hat hair dryer and a blowdryer (some people skip the blow dry, altogether) and rarely an electric curler.

Whenever I have requested a rollerset, at least this was the case in Pittsburgh, the stylists would comment that "we don't do rollersets, but we do..." One stylist, who tried to oblige me stated that he had 10-15 rollers /images/graemlins/huh.gif but that was it.

For the salons that DID have the rollers, I was actually talked about like a dog while underneath the dryer. I told the stylist that I would require at least 4 hours under the dryer BEFORE I made the appointment, yet she was still angry that my hair took so long to dry. When she finally pulled me out, my hair was still quite damp, so much so, that when she tried to pull the roller out (the clamps were still in) she ripped my hair.

Another black salon sat me under the dryer w/o rollers to "pre" dry...then they put in velco-rollers and then tried to blow out my roots with a blower that wasn't even hot. I looked TERRIBLE /images/graemlins/angry2.gif PLUS, my hair was ruined.

Sorry for being so long winded...I just wanted to be as descript as possible.

Desert Skye

Both AA and Dominican salons do rollersets but i prefer the Dominican way because from my experience they put way less products in my hair then they do in AA salons which keep my hair shiny and bouncy and not weighed down or sticky.

Also products may have something to do with it because many dominican products have ingredients such as honey and olive oil

genesis

Exactly what I was wondering, Please tell me there is hope for those of us that don't have Dominican salons in our areas. I really don't think I am going to be able to make weekly trips to NYC for blowouts, etc. /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

webby

Think Slim
[ QUOTE ]
genesis said:
Exactly what I was wondering, Please tell me there is hope for those of us that don't have Dominican salons in our areas. I really don't think I am going to be able to make weekly trips to NYC for blowouts, etc. /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When I moved, I learn to do my own. I took one step at a time, refused to pay anyone else, including the sham Dominicans out here in PA to mess my hair up again.

It wasn't easy, first learned to get a tight rollerset, then worked on the blowdrying aspect. IMO, the blowdrying is the make-it-or-break-it aspect to getting the desired look, but it is also what can potentially cause the most damage.

swirl

IG: rhonda_hair
i prefer dominican shops b/c the beauticians there have a better understanding of my hair type than black beauticians. i've never had a dominican stylist suggest a relaxer or complain about how long it would take to do my hair.

Lorraine

I simply love the results. My hair is bouncy and it lasts and lasts. I wouldn't go to a Dominican salon often as I don't like to come in contact with heat. Soooo...I like the results and the fact that I am not in the chair for 5 hours. I am in and out within 2 hours. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

keylargo

[ QUOTE ]
webby said:
I think that all salons, even white salons use heat, but the application is quite different.

In AA salons, the heat is directly applied to the hair, e.g. curling irons, flat irons, straightening combs. In some instances, there is nothing to regulate the temperature of the instrument.

In Dominican salons the heat comes from a hard-hat hair dryer and a blowdryer (some people skip the blow dry, altogether) and rarely an electric curler.

Whenever I have requested a rollerset, at least this was the case in Pittsburgh, the stylists would comment that "we don't do rollersets, but we do..." One stylist, who tried to oblige me stated that he had 10-15 rollers /images/graemlins/huh.gif but that was it.

For the salons that DID have the rollers, I was actually talked about like a dog while underneath the dryer. I told the stylist that I would require at least 4 hours under the dryer BEFORE I made the appointment, yet she was still angry that my hair took so long to dry. When she finally pulled me out, my hair was still quite damp, so much so, that when she tried to pull the roller out (the clamps were still in) she ripped my hair.

Another black salon sat me under the dryer w/o rollers to "pre" dry...then they put in velco-rollers and then tried to blow out my roots with a blower that wasn't even hot. I looked TERRIBLE /images/graemlins/angry2.gif PLUS, my hair was ruined.

Sorry for being so long winded...I just wanted to be as descript as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
thanks for the details. You just reminded me of the possible attitude I could get if I requested a rollerset. It really depends on the salon. some that have older clients may be more willing to do them.
I can't imagine sitting under a dryer for 4 hours. Does it take you that long all the time?
Do the Dominican salons ever use flat irons?

keylargo

[ QUOTE ]
LorraineG said:
I simply love the results. My hair is bouncy and it lasts and lasts. I wouldn't go to a Dominican salon often as I don't like to come in contact with heat. Soooo...I like the results and the fact that I am not in the chair for 5 hours. I am in and out within 2 hours. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
what do you have done when you go?

Boadicea

In the past, for two years, I religiously went to a Dominican salon once a week for a shampoo, condition, deep condition, rollerset, and blow-out. My hair went from barely shoulder length to bra-strap length in less than a year(around 10-11 months).

Prior to that, I had been going to an AA salon for a the same thing above sans rollerset, and my hair stayed the same length for years.

At the Dominican salon, my hair would be rollerset before it was blowdried. This meant that my hair was dry before being blowdried. At the AA salon, it was blowdried directly after it was washed. And then a hot curler was applied to my hair to "bump" the ends.

I believe this is what caused my hair to remain the same length. I always brought my own products with me so I don't think that was an issue.

webby

Think Slim
@keylargo - My hair was really long at the time...some inches past brastrap. At my current length, I sit under for an hour and a half.

MonaLisa

[ QUOTE ]
keylargo said:
[ QUOTE ]
LorraineG said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You were in my head. I wanna know too to have to be under the dryer that long...

Lorraine

[ QUOTE ]
keylargo said:
[ QUOTE ]
LorraineG said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I go I get a shampoo, deep conditioner, and blowout. It takes at least 40 minutes for my hair to dry under the hood and at home with my hood dryer it's well over an hour. /images/graemlins/spinning.gif

Keep in mind when I go to AA salons in my area they try to overbook so there are five women for one stylist. At the Dominican salon where I go the only hold up is if you want your hair blown out by the owner and she's worth the wait. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

webby

Think Slim
Lorraine, I'm so jealous!!! Your hair is much longer than mine and you're under the hood for max an hour? /images/graemlins/cry3.gif

keylargo

[ QUOTE ]
LorraineG said:
[ QUOTE ]
keylargo said:
[ QUOTE ]
LorraineG said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I go I get a shampoo, deep conditioner, and blowout. It takes at least 40 minutes for my hair to dry under the hood and at home with my hood dryer it's well over an hour. /images/graemlins/spinning.gif

Keep in mind when I go to AA salons in my area they try to overbook so there are five women for one stylist. At the Dominican salon where I go the only hold up is if you want your hair blown out by the owner and she's worth the wait. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I know about the overbooking. I hate when they do that. I have walked out of salons without geting my hair done because I did not feel I should wait 3 hours when I had an appointment.

Lorraine

[ QUOTE ]
webby said:
Lorraine, I'm so jealous!!! Your hair is much longer than mine and you're under the hood for max an hour? /images/graemlins/cry3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smile.gif Can you believe that? You know I have wondered where I can find a hood dryer strong like the one at the salon. My funky dryer from Sally's keeps me under for at least 3 hours and it's still wet at the root. It takes so darn long I am trying to build a dryer I can lay down and take a nap under. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/sleeping.gif

dreemssold

keylargo, imho, it really is about the roller setting, which as you said, you can get done in any AA salon. My hair grows just as quickly under the care of my Dominican salon as it did under my AA salon who just did doobies (no blow outs). I think it does help, though, that the Dominicans don't press you into getting trims, and in fact, rarely, if ever, even tell you to get a trim. The blow out is a great deal of heat, but still less than the extra flat/curling iron you might encounter in the average AA salon. The bottom line, though, imho, if you went to a Dominican salon for a year, you'd see the same amount of growth you would if that if you went to an AA salon and requested roller sets for 1 year and did not let them use any irons. It's just that few people going to the latter are doing that, so it seems that those going to the former are gaining more length.

PrettyBrownEyes

Webby,

I was dying when I read your post about the stylists saying they only had like 10-15 rollers! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I have experienced attitude in the past when I've requested a rollerset at a salon I used to go to.

I've never gone to a Dominican stylist and never heard of them until I came to LHCF. I plan to visit New York next year and definately want to get my hair done while I'm there.

webby

Think Slim
@pretty It is funny now, but I was too heated back then /images/graemlins/smile.gif

You should definitely try a dom salon...at least you will have something to compare. I have never been as fortunate as dreem in finding AA salons to do my hair properly, so I sing the praises of the dom salons...the ones I've been to in the city, anyway.

cutebajangirl

Bottom line is that it is the rollersetting that allows you to maintain growth combined with the fact that they are much more likely to just barely trim the ends instead of chopping. They get the props for rollersetting because that is what they are known for. You want a rollerset go to a Dominican, you want a weave go to an AA. Dreemsold is right if you went to an AA salon and only got rollersets for a year, you'd end up with the same growth. Problem is, that is seems like outside of NYC you'd be hard pressed to find someone to do it for you. Also in NY I think more girls just get a rollerset and doobie and don't get a blow-out as frequently as those who are on the board do. Also there prices are cheaper on average than black salons. Although in BK the West Indians are just as cheap and rollerset just as well IMO.

aqualung

[ QUOTE ]
webby said:It wasn't easy, first learned to get a tight rollerset, then worked on the blowdrying aspect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm teaching myself how to rollerset also. It took me 4 hours on Sunday. I didn't blow out the roots, so my new growth is a little puffy. I'm back to braidouts already, but I didn't pay anyone $30.

Next I'll do my own relaxer next month.

webby

Think Slim
Megon It may take a little while before you get it, but if you keep trying...you'll definitely get it.

Silkycoils

a "doobie" is basically slang for the finished product of a rollerset and wrap. Some ppl. refer to a doobie as the wearing of the pins in a "crown" after you come from the salon. HTH

B

ballet_bun

Thanks to Tracy, I learned how to do my own Domincan Blow out ... I called in the <font color="pink"> "Ballet_Bunican Blowout" </font> /images/graemlins/grin.gif ... Okay, I know that sounds geeky /images/graemlins/bookworm.gif, but it turned out beautiful the very first time. It's was bouncy, shiny and my hair looked even thicker. I got a lot of compliments. I couldn't keep my hands out of my hair. I can't wait to see my neice so I can do her hair too!

Thanks again Tracy!!! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

dina32

I believe because the prices at a Dominican salon are so much cheaper so women are able to get their hair done more often (like once a week). Therefore they are not handling their own hair as much. I think this is the reason it would appear that the DR stylists have some type of "growing hands".