Long term transition or start from scratch?

Lynnerie

Hey ya'll I've been thinking I may just cut my hair off. I have been texlaxed since Oct. 2011 after being natural for almost 3 years, I'm APL. I texlaxed because of the SSK's and I felt like my hair wasn't retaining but as I look at pics from those years I am seeing that my retention wasn't bad for someone who wore wash n go's 80% of the time.

I really miss my natural hair texture. I thought I was over it and had enjoyed the experience but I need to have my natural hair back. Here's my issue- I don't know if I want to do a long term transition or if I should just cut it all the way down. I just texlaxed after a 4 month stretch so I'd be cutting it all off.

What do ya think? I'd like to hear from everyone especially those who have either done the Long term transition or started from nothing at all. Pros and cons.

My husband is supportive either way but he thinks I should wait to cut it after I have the baby. I'm due in July. Thanks for your help.

Wow, you sound like me.

I'm going this Saturday to get my hair cut short like Ginnifer Goodwin ( Snow White on ABC Once Upon show). Then I'm going back natural for life.

The Pros for just cutting it off is you don't have to deal with two different hair textures. I like to keep things simple so transitioning is not for me.

Good luck on the next step on hair care journey

personally, i prefer just starting from scratch. in 6 months, your hair is a decent length again where you can do stuff with it. i feel like you get more discouraged when you transition long term because you get so used to your hair being super long, forgetting that you're gonna cut all that off eventually. then you feel pressure to relax. at least that was what i went through. so i just chopped it all off.

idk, one problem i have though is that whenever i big chop, i always feel really naked, and wish that i transitioned. now i'm stuck in braids, which i hate.

I transitioned for 15 months before I cut off the last of my texlaxed ends. If I had to do it all over again, I would prob BC. Here's why:

Transitioning for 15 months left me with about 5 inches of natural hair that I had no idea how to care for...when I transitioned I had to find products that worked for both textures of hair. Once I was totally natural, my hair didn't seem to do as well with the products I had used during transition. I think that starting with a TWA helps with the learning curve. :yep:

Growing out a twa helps you appreciate your growth. Again, I was suddenly natural with 5 inches of hair and it was like :look:...what's next?

I think there's a sense of pride that comes with wearing a twa, that I feel like I missed. I also heat trained during my transition, so although I was natural, my hair was straight 100% of the time and no one even knew. So now I'm wearing my natural hair and it's not as easy to get used to as I thought it would be.

If I had to do it all over again I would BC. :yep:

You prob won't have the same issues since you were natural before.

Last edited:
Back