Long Hair Journey

FifiB

Im natural and have been natural always. My journey is for healthier hair and to see growth because I am at APL, but want to be MBL. I'm just finishing up Ultra Black Hair Growth and I've learned a lot. Now It'ws a swirl of information and I'm not sure where to start when I take my weave out. Kimmay Love's coniditoner? Get another book? Help!

Melody.Monroe

I often feel overwhelmed and go back to what works for me. I've never been a follower so it's hard for me to jump on the bandwagon - but I do reasearch like crazy. So maybe that's a good place to start. Research your goals, start slow. Purchase products one by one and see what works for YOUR hair and what doesn't. That's what I had to do and found out that I LOVE Aussie MOIST shampoo and conditioner - and I can get the GIANT size for only $5. I dont have money for a tiny 4oz bottle of shampoo for $800 (exageration - but you get what I mean). Take it slow. You will reach your goals.

prettypithy

Your first step is to establish a regimen. Keep it simple. When I was starting out, I used this article to learn how to establish a regimen.

http://www.longhairdontcare.net/long_hair_dont_care-deleted-20090628-muftz/2008/09/building-a-soli.html

Specifically, you should decide how and how often and with what products you will wash, condition, moisturize and seal. And what style you will leave your hair in for the most part (buns? two strand twists? braids? wash n gos?).

I highly recommend that article. Good luck!!

FifiB

Ladies, you are wonderful! Thanks. Now is the time to figure it out because I am a graduate student and will be very busy with my studies. Would love to get a routine down before school starts back up.
prettypithy...love the article!

beanie44

Examples of seemless wide tooth combs

Attachments

• comb2.png
    comb2.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 14
  • comb1.png
    comb1.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 188

PJaye

Just a few things that helps me:

- Take note of the ingredients of all the products that are being used so that you can assess what elements your hair likes and dislikes. This will go a long way in helping to construct an effective, personalized regimen.

- Begin your journey by addressing your most pressing need (for me, it was combating dryness/maintaining moisture). Once you unearth a solution for that issue, it will allow for other, more obscured needs to present themselves. Eventually, your focus will shift from damage control to maintenance as your hair’s health improves.

- Sort the hair products according to their function (i.e., deep conditioner, moisturizer, leave-in conditioner, heat protectant, etc.) and constituent parts. In general, this will determine when, why and how each product will be used.

- Acquaint yourself with the various types of proteins and moisturizing elements, as well as their function. This is a crucial aspect of the regimen building process.

It is also important to keep in mind that the vast majority of hair products will fall somewhere on the moisture-protein continuum. What will determine a product’s place on that spectrum will be its ingredient list and where those ingredients fall within that list, e.g., a conditioner that contains wheat protein (moisture) as its 7th ingredient and hydrolyzed keratin (protein) as its 2nd ingredient will be classified as being a protein conditioner with some moisturizing properties.

And, of course, whenever there is doubt, Google that sucker to death.:lol: I hope this helps!

FifiB

Yes! PJaye that helps so much! I love that you said look into the products I am already using and the ingredients. Definitely doing that today. I need to decide which to also just throw away and never use again. Thanks!

Evolving78

find out what your hair's porosity type is. this will help you with find products and methods that are suitable for your hair. learn what you can and can't do with your hair when it comes to protective styling, wash/dc, and detangling.