Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

CoiledOrchids

made my aloe vera spray yesterday.

1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup of aloe vera juice
10 drops of peppermint oil

I keep my spray refrigerated and it's really been helping keep my locs moisturized.

I've been oiling my scalp as needed with castor oil/evoo mix.

approaching the 4 month mark June 25th.
no more flaky dry scalp!

I have lots of new growth. still deciding on what my next style will be

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
made my aloe vera spray yesterday.

1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup of aloe vera juice
10 drops of peppermint oil

I keep my spray refrigerated and it's really been helping keep my locs moisturized.

I've been oiling my scalp as needed with castor oil/evoo mix.

approaching the 4 month mark June 25th.
no more flaky dry scalp!

I have lots of new growth. still deciding on what my next style will be
I'm glad all those things are working for you now! Aloe vera juice is the truth! I can't believe it has been 4 months for you already. You will be at your next milestone and 1 year mark before you know it. Have you noticed any other changes in your locks so far? Any budding? Do they look like locks yet? I loved that stage of my journey and the super frizzy stage the most.

CoiledOrchids

I'm glad all those things are working for you now! Aloe vera juice is the truth! I can't believe it has been 4 months for you already. You will be at your next milestone and 1 year mark before you know it. Have you noticed any other changes in your locks so far? Any budding? Do they look like locks yet? I loved that stage of my journey and the super frizzy stage the most.
@shortycocoa yes there has been lots of frizzyness. some budding at the root but not much. I notice it really soaks up the AVJ spritz. they don't look like locs yet, still looks a lot like two strand twists but it's growing like a weed it's great.

I have a feeling they won't look like locs until I get further along. I thought by me having 4c hair, It would loc quicker and lose that two strand twist look but it still looks like twists to me. Still enjoying the process though!

CoiledOrchids

so I'm now 4 months into my loc journey. I really want to learn how to retwist my locs at home but I'm a little nervous. I go to the shop now and I know they use olive oil eco styler gel to retwist and tresemme shampoo to wash. I am not sure about the edge control she uses but it does flake around my hairline and i don't like that.

I mainly want to DIY to save money and I wanted to be able to at least know how to do my hair if I can't make it to the shop.

I've seen people use aloe vera gel for their retwists and I kinda want to try it.

CoiledOrchids

5 months loc'd! Just got my retwist and style! I got my hair styled into a bun! Yall my hair is just growing so much! I definitely want to continue to use my castor oil. It's been working out great for me. I don't have any lint or buildup but i do tend to have a flaky itchy scalp and I sweat a lot.

Other than that, I think I wanna try a fishtail braid next

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
5 months loc'd! Just got my retwist and style! I got my hair styled into a bun! Yall my hair is just growing so much! I definitely want to continue to use my castor oil. It's been working out great for me. I don't have any lint or buildup but i do tend to have a flaky itchy scalp and I sweat a lot.

Other than that, I think I wanna try a fishtail braid next
Hey I’ve been using this with success for the two years I’ve been locked. Sulfur8 Loc Twist and Braid Medicated Scalp Solution, 2.5 Ounce https://a.co/d/5wxO61I

CoiledOrchids

officially 6 months loc'd today. Got my retwist 2 days ago and am looking cute.

I'm having a problem. I realized that I need to start washing my hair in between retwists. My scalp has always been problematic but I can not keep waiting until my hair appointment to shampoo my hair. My scalp be like "girl, wash me please!"

Can you all please recommend me a good shampoo. My friend has locs and she uses sheamoisture jamaican black castor oil shampoo. I'm unsure about it because I have an itchy scalp.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

CoiledOrchids

I was thinking after I hit my one year loc anniversary in Feb, I want to do my own retwists at home. I've been looking at youtube tutorials at home ever since I started my locs and I'm intimidated. I worry that I won't twist the right way. But I do want to save my coins since I'm back in school on a part-time basis

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I was thinking after I hit my one year loc anniversary in Feb, I want to do my own retwists at home. I've been looking at youtube tutorials at home ever since I started my locs and I'm intimidated. I worry that I won't twist the right way. But I do want to save my coins since I'm back in school on a part-time basis
Don't be intimidated. If you have been watching tutorials since you started your locks, you should be ok.

Look at your locks in the mirror. You should be able to see the direction they were twisted in. Your hair should also be trained enough now to naturally go in the direction they are supposed to be twisted in also, if that makes sense.

If you make a mistake, just unravel it and twist in the correct direction.

You can also ask your stylist which direction your locks were twisted in, just to be sure. Hopefully, they were all twisted in the same direction.

From what I have seen, most people are naturally right-handed so they twist to the right. Left-handed people more than likely twist to the left as well, but I think it may also just depend on preference.

If you can practice on a mannequin head before hand, that might be good for you. Be confident in your abilities, you can do it!

Let us know how it goes and take pictures!

CoiledOrchids

Don't be intimidated. If you have been watching tutorials since you started your locks, you should be ok.

Look at your locks in the mirror. You should be able to see the direction they were twisted in. Your hair should also be trained enough now to naturally go in the direction they are supposed to be twisted in also, if that makes sense.

If you make a mistake, just unravel it and twist in the correct direction.

You can also ask your stylist which direction your locks were twisted in, just to be sure. Hopefully, they were all twisted in the same direction.

From what I have seen, most people are naturally right-handed so they twist to the right. Left-handed people more than likely twist to the left as well, but I think it may also just depend on preference.

If you can practice on a mannequin head before hand, that might be good for you. Be confident in your abilities, you can do it!

Let us know how it goes and take pictures!
@shortycocoa thank you for all of the advice. I've been scared to attempt it on my own out of fear i'd make a mistake and completely ruin my locs. But now I realize that I can do it, I just need to have faith in myself. I will definitely let you all know how it goes

CoiledOrchids

it's wash day!!!

I finally received my Taliah Waajid Products. Here's what I got:
Shampoos: TW Stimulating Herbal Cleanser (to clarify)
TW Total Body Black Earth Shampoo (moistur)e
Conditioner: TW Enhancing Herbal Conditioner

For Retwists: Tight Hold & small metal clips

Just finished washing my hair. It was a pretty quick process and I really liked the taliah waajid products. They are affordable and can be found on the ground as well. I don't know why I ever waiting so long in between retwists to wash my hair. I didn't have buildup but my hair was still dirty and my scalp def needed a good scrub.

Now, after almost seven months, I can really see budding happening all over. My ends are still curly, which I love :love: but now i'm kinda regretting that I didn't go smaller smh. Now i'm wondering how microlocs or sisterlocs would look on me

CoiledOrchids

forgot to wash my hair over the weekend but I'm gonna do my wash day after work today.

officially 7 months loc'd as of 3 days ago! Fresh retwist pics for month #7 coming Saturday

CoiledOrchids

no more locticians for me.

Yall, i'm so done and fed up with this. So I went today to get my hair done. Tell me why I got the two strand twists and I asked for a simple updo and the loctician didn't want to do it. She said people who get two strand twists just wear them down. I don't have a ton on length yet and my hair looked short even though its collar-bone length the twists gave my hair major shrinkage. I almost cried walking out. She did a lil updo. I still don't like it.

also I had to wait 45 min to be serviced. I was pissed because my appointment was set to be 10am this morning. she does nice work but I won't be returning.

I'll definitely do it myself from now on. Save me some stress and money

Last edited:

CoiledOrchids

bought a new clarifying shampoo yesterday. I got a 16 Oz. bottle of Dr bronner's peppermint castile soap.

I will dilute it and use up the last of my taliah waajid clarifying shampoo next week when I wash my hair. I didn't care for the taliah waajid shampoo. it didn't clean my hair enough for my liking.