!!!Healthly Loc'ed Roots Challenge -- Starting Jan 2010!!!

goldielocs

Hello Loc'ed Ladies!!!!:wave:

I'd like to start a challege focusing on getting our roots healthly. As we know, healthly locs are based on healthy roots so this is a challenge for us to improve scalp health and strengthen the base of our locs.

Here are my suggestions. Feel free to add more so we can can all be on one accord. I'll keep this thread open for suggestions until Dec 28th and start another thread for the actual challenge. This challenge will last until June 15th.

Here are the rules so far...

1. Post a pic of your locs and/or roots by Jan 15th. Please specify what type of locs you have since there is such a variety represented on the board.
2. State at least three things you pledge to do to improve your scalp health and root strength.
3. Post updates at least on a monthly basis and let the thread know how you're progressing.
4.Post final pics of your locs and/or roots by June 15.

Here are my goals to use for an example...

My pic is coming soon- (I promise) I have freeform locs.

1. I will use a clarifying shampoo at least once a week.
2. I won't wear any hairstyles which require me to pull on my edges or use bobby pins.
3. I will not scratch my scalp or constantly play with my locs.
4. I will invest in a moisturizer that contains tea tree oil and lavender. Both oils benefit the scalp.

Like I said, feel free to make suggestions. This is my first challenge so I may have forgotten something...

jamaraa

Good luck Goldie!!! Ya know I got your back evn tho I ain't got locks. I look forward to learning from you and your challengers as time goes by. :yep:

melissa-bee

I don't have locs but my mum does and she's going bald in the middle and crown. Hopefully i can get some tips that she'll actually follow from here.

goldielocs

Good luck Goldie!!! Ya know I got your back evn tho I ain't got locks. I look forward to learning from you and your challengers as time goes by. :yep:

Hey Jamaraa!!!

Girl, when I saw the quick response I knew it was you!!!:yep: Thanks for your support and encouragement. Feel free to pop in and share anytime.

Be blessed!

jamaraa

I don't have locs but my mum does and she's going bald in the middle and crown. Hopefully i can get some tips that she'll actually follow from here.

What kind of locks does she have? Is it a length/weight issue you think or something going on at the scalp?

goldielocs

I'm sorry your mom is having trouble with her locs. There are several things that could be the issue. Here are some that come to mind...

1. Size vs. weight of locs- I've found that the smaller the root of the loc, then the less weight it can hold.
2. Unhealthy scalp- Your mom may need to see a professional to diagnose any medical issues.
3. Hormone changes
4. Stressful hairstyles- hairstyles that pull on the loc thin the root bed. Wearing tight buns, ponytails or any other style that pulls on the root should be avoided or worn sparingly.

Those are the possible reasons I can think of. I'm sure others will chime in with other suggestions. Take care melissa-bee.

melissa-bee

I think it's a small range of things. She started off about 10 years ago (i think) with nice good sized thin neck length locs. She used to get the roots twisted about once or twice a year.
Now her locs are mid back length. But the middle of her head is very sparse and for the past year whole locs have just detached from her scalp. And she hardly has any growth.
However, i already know what she's doing wrong. She's still stuck in that mentality that we should wash our hair often. She think locs should go even longer so she used to go like 3 months without washing and uses dax and beeswax on her scalp. I told her one day to wash her scalp with clarifying shampoo and use only olive oil. She did. And she actually said she could feel some new hair coming through. But within two weeks she said that she needs the dax (the yellow one) to moisturise her scalp. She says the olive oils to light.
So i know her regimen is off. But i notice her diet is very unbalanced too. She has low income so she eats a lot of carbohydrates and processed foods. So it's just a range of things. Sorry for hi jacking i was gonna try and pm this to you but i can't copy and paste from my phone cos there's too much writing.

goldielocs

I think it's a small range of things. She started off about 10 years ago (i think) with nice good sized thin neck length locs. She used to get the roots twisted about once or twice a year.
Now her locs are mid back length. But the middle of her head is very sparse and for the past year whole locs have just detached from her scalp. And she hardly has any growth.
However, i already know what she's doing wrong. She's still stuck in that mentality that we should wash our hair often. She think locs should go even longer so she used to go like 3 months without washing and uses dax and beeswax on her scalp. I told her one day to wash her scalp with clarifying shampoo and use only olive oil. She did. And she actually said she could feel some new hair coming through. But within two weeks she said that she needs the dax (the yellow one) to moisturise her scalp. She says the olive oils to light.
So i know her regimen is off. But i notice her diet is very unbalanced too. She has low income so she eats a lot of carbohydrates and processed foods. So it's just a range of things. Sorry for hi jacking i was gonna try and pm this to you but i can't copy and paste from my phone cos there's too much writing.

Sounds like you've hit the nail on the head. The next challenge is getting her to adapt. Keep talking to her. It sounds like you have a lot of influence since she tried your suggestions before. Feel free to pm me anytime. Take care.

melissa-bee

^nope. She's barely had any growth to do so. Maybe i could try and do some for her even though i have no clue on how to do that, i'd probably end up doing two strand twists lol.

Michelle1971

Interesting challenge goldie!

Most of my roots are fine except my hairline on the right side :ohwell: it needs a little TLC. I freeform so I am not twisting it off BUT I tend to wear my hair back A LOT or wrapped up.
Be back later with pics and goals :grin:

goldielocs

Interesting challenge goldie!

Most of my roots are fine except my hairline on the right side :ohwell: it needs a little TLC. I freeform so I am not twisting it off BUT I tend to wear my hair back A LOT or wrapped up.
Be back later with pics and goals :grin:

Hello Michelle,

Sounds like we have a lot in common. My hair is usually up and I've noticed a difference in my hairline as well. Hopefully this challenge will help. Take care and I look forward to your input.

melissa-bee

Well my mum hasn't used dax for about 3 weeks and she told me today that her hair has been growing back. She's been using that mango lock and lime grease. And it's growing in well too. If she lays of the dax we will be able to marry some locks in the middle.

Rain20

I have a friend with locs that just moved to ATL. Any recommendations for salons that maintain/color locs in Atlanta?

Michelle1971

I have been trying and trying to get a good pic of my roots. Hopefully I can get it right or I will ask my DH to take it for me :giggle:

justsimply

Wow!! First I'm all stoked because there is a challenge for locs...just when I was sitting on the fence. I'm only 7 months into this set. Maybe this is just what I needed to get me to that 1 yr mark. I think I'll be "stable" in the journey by then. Okay, so here goes....

1. I don't use anything on my scalp but I'll start with a light oil of some sort (olive oil and eo mix, or the herbal oil from walmart that I already use in my spritz).
2. I believe in massages, although I've failed miserably at being consistent. So I will do at least weekly massages.
3. It would be a waste of time and just short of lying if I said I will keep my hands out of my locs, so I'm going to strive for retightening no fequently than every 6 weeks (I use the latch method).

I have no close up of my scalp/roots, and not even a quality shot of my locs, but this is what I have and I hope to get better shots as I update each month.

Dec 2009_2.JPG

Raspberry

Wow - great thread! I'm glad I can finally join a hair challenge...

I haven't taken pics of my locs in over a year but now I'm inspired to.

My roots are doing fairly well. I've been joining locs with thin root beds to thicker ones, I wash and condition a lot which keeps my hair very moisturized. I don't wear stressful styles often..

I plan to re-up on Paul Mitchell tea tree oil shampoo.. I have tea tree EO sitting around but I'm gonna mix a few drops with virgin olive oil and use it as a scalp rub, especially around the edges. I'll get some lavender EO too.

My longest locs are APL now and I want to start trimming locs around the edges especially so the roots are not strained by the weight - I don't want to be one of those lockers with terrible hairlines.. do you have any issues in that area goldielocs?

bellezanegra826

i don't have locks, but i am in two strand twists for a little while. what are your opinions of dry shampoos? just bought herbal cleanse 'dry shapmpoo' made by organic root stimulator and it has helped to keep my hair from itching for the past few days. the bottle says that you can use it to cleanse the scalp between shampoos, is this a good idea?

Raspberry

i don't have locks, but i am in two strand twists for a little while. what are your opinions of dry shampoos? just bought herbal cleanse 'dry shapmpoo' made by organic root stimulator and it has helped to keep my hair from itching for the past few days. the bottle says that you can use it to cleanse the scalp between shampoos, is this a good idea?

I used to use that ORS dry shampoo when I had loose hair in twists too. I don't think it harms used in moderation but I would only use it once in a while to add a few extra days in between shampoos. It's definitely not a substitute for the benefits of water. I do understand how it is when you've spent a lot of time doing twists and don't want them to get fuzzy quick.

MrsMe

I know I'm late on this one, but THANK YOU FOR THIS CHALLENGE!!! I so need to take better care of my roots and help my babies grow. I'm entering my 7th month in a few days (can't believe it's been that long already!) and I need the challenge! I have pic of my roots but I haven't uploaded them on my computer yet. As soon as I do, I'll post the pics.

goldielocs

Wow!! First I'm all stoked because there is a challenge for locs...just when I was sitting on the fence. I'm only 7 months into this set. Maybe this is just what I needed to get me to that 1 yr mark. I think I'll be "stable" in the journey by then. Okay, so here goes....

1. I don't use anything on my scalp but I'll start with a light oil of some sort (olive oil and eo mix, or the herbal oil from walmart that I already use in my spritz).
2. I believe in massages, although I've failed miserably at being consistent. So I will do at least weekly massages.
3. It would be a waste of time and just short of lying if I said I will keep my hands out of my locs, so I'm going to strive for retightening no fequently than every 6 weeks (I use the latch method).

I have no close up of my scalp/roots, and not even a quality shot of my locs, but this is what I have and I hope to get better shots as I update each month.

View attachment 51590

Happy New Year JustSimply!!!

I started this challenge praying that it would be needed and I'm so happy it is. Your routine looks great. When I use oil only, I have to spritz with water and then apply an oil because Phoenix is hecka dry. I didn't notice where you live, but it may be somthing to consider. Massages are nice.... when I remember to do them:rolleyes:. My DH will on occassion.

I remember playing in my locs all the time-lol. Hand-in-loc disease (HILD) lasts for a while. I still get it on occassion.

Thanks so much for joining the challenge. I am gonna start the official thread tonight and add everyone's names.

Take care

goldielocs

Wow - great thread! I'm glad I can finally join a hair challenge...

I haven't taken pics of my locs in over a year but now I'm inspired to.

My roots are doing fairly well. I've been joining locs with thin root beds to thicker ones, I wash and condition a lot which keeps my hair very moisturized. I don't wear stressful styles often..

I plan to re-up on Paul Mitchell tea tree oil shampoo.. I have tea tree EO sitting around but I'm gonna mix a few drops with virgin olive oil and use it as a scalp rub, especially around the edges. I'll get some lavender EO too.

My longest locs are APL now and I want to start trimming locs around the edges especially so the roots are not strained by the weight - I don't want to be one of those lockers with terrible hairlines.. do you have any issues in that area goldielocs?

Welcome to the challenge, Raspberry!!!

To the bolded: I did when I was still latching them, but since I started freeforming it hasn't been a problem. I have a bang, but not because of hair weight. I wash and set my hair and wanted it to fall a certian way- lol. As long as the rootbeds along the edges are stable, then thinning and breaking along the hairline shouldn't be an issue.

Take care!

goldielocs

GoldieLocs, you hair looks pretty.

Thanks Adora!

I like yours too. I saw your hair in an earlier thread about long haired naturals. You should post some styling ideas for us loced heads-:yep:. I am way too busy to style my hair on a regular basis. It's usually under a tam or headwrap during the week and a loose pony for church.

Thanks for stopping in and take care.