Let's talk Garlic Hair products

Mum2L

Ok, who's used them? Are they any good? I've been researching Alter Ego Products like the Cren Oil and the Conditioners. I'm thinking of trying the Alter EGO Hot Oil Treatment with Garlic over theAlter EGO Original with Garlic, since my hair is very dry right now, I need the extra moisturizing effect.

However, I've also found the Nutrine line of Garlic shampoo and noticed they were super cheap, like $4.99 on Amazon. (The shipping was high, though). Anyway, just wanted to 'pick someone's brain' about all this garlic lark. LOL

TIA

I used the Alter Ego garlic treatment when i was using MT - stopped my shedding in it's tracks. I didn't use it for moisture, only for shedding. That's what i think garlic is supposed to be good for. I also used the Nutrine - smelled good, but didn't stop the shedding.

I use garlic when I'm on MT to stop shedding as well. I actually just take garlic oil and add it to my conditioenr (I'm lazy, I know). Works tremendously.

I used the Alter Ego garlic treatment when i was using MT - stopped my shedding in it's tracks. I didn't use it for moisture, only for shedding. That's what i think garlic is supposed to be good for. I also used the Nutrine - smelled good, but didn't stop the shedding.

The other Alter Ego had the Hot Oil treatment in it, so thought it was good as a good moisturizing conditioner.

Can someone post where I can find these Alter Ego products, specifically the one that is a garlic treatment that stopped the shedding in it's tracks!!!!

I've been taking these garlic pills, but it ain't doin a dang thang!

there's this awesome conditioner by my local BSS that sells a conditioner straight out of the Dominican Republic that smells *just* like Garlic Texas Toast; i want to try it because it smells so delicious :lick:

gonna look into the Alter Ego products, too. my shedding isn't too extravagant, but it could always be curbed a bit more.

Alter Ego garlic did stop my shedding when I had relaxed hair shedding. I use it once in a while still as a moisturizing deep conditioner on my natural hair. Expensive but works. I read somewhere or other that the hard to find much cheaper QUEEN HELENE GARLIC does a good job so start with that one.

YES!!! This is exactly the info I was look for. I no longer have breakage problems but my shedding is excessive. I am wondering about buildup using the garlic treatment while I have braids in. Do you think a garlic pill might also be effective?

Can someone post where I can find these Alter Ego products, specifically the one that is a garlic treatment that stopped the shedding in it's tracks!!!!

I've been taking these garlic pills, but it ain't doin a dang thang!

I guess that anwsered my question.

YES!!! This is exactly the info I was look for. I no longer have breakage problems but my shedding is excessive. I am wondering about buildup using the garlic treatment while I have braids in. Do you think a garlic pill might also be effective?

I took a garlic pill, made a garlic paste, nothing worked FOR ME except the Alter Ego. I used the alter ego impac ego. Here's a link:
http://www.aleida.net/alterego-en.html

Looks like I am going to take a trip to the health foods store. Hopefully, the garlic oil doesn't smell too strong. :look:

Oh no, it smells strong!!! Thankfully it disappears really quickly when it's mixed in with something else, so you won't have any problems. Hope it works well for you!

I used Alter Ego (garlic treatment) and Cren (oil). They were good, but I stopped b/c of PJism and gave them to a friend who is experiencing shedding.

I took a garlic pill, made a garlic paste, nothing worked FOR ME except the Alter Ego. I used the alter ego impac ego. Here's a link:
http://www.aleida.net/alterego-en.html

Thank you so much for the information and the link. I REALLY needed this!:grin:

It's stuff like this that makes me remember why I love LHCF so much.

Also, did you do yours straight (just following the directions) or did you mix yours like another posted suggested to avoid the smell? TIA!!!

Last edited:
In NYC they sell this at almost all BSS and Dominican Salons. It's about $25

Good to know. I will be in the NYC this weekend getting my braids put in, I will definitely stop by a BSS and get in and avoid shipping charges. Thanks again.

Has anyone used Rolland Una Hair Food Garlic Treatment Mask its a Dominican product. Ive had my eye on it for a while but just havent coughed up the money for it. Its back to school time.

i use real garlic.

i just chop up a little garlic and add it to salads, pickles, and whatever (raw or cooked). i notice if i go too long without garlic, i get excessive shedding. i'm starting to like the taste too.

also be careful how vigorous you scratch or massage your hair....my hair sheds too much if i do.

i use real garlic.

i just chop up a little garlic and add it to salads, pickles, and whatever (raw or cooked). i notice if i go too long without garlic, i get excessive shedding. i'm starting to like the taste too.
also be careful how vigorous you scratch or massage your hair....my hair sheds too much if i do.

I was wondering about this I tend to eat a lot of garlic and garlic powder in my cooking :look:

I take aged garlic capsules from GNC

does that count?

btw, should I be concerned about garlic capsules? I don't want to smell like garlic lol

I Purchased Alter Ego Garlic Hot Oil Conditioning Treatment as a Precautionary Measure when I first started using Mega-Tek (after reading some ladies experienced "shedding" with use of this product).:look:

However, I did not experience any shedding at all. Alter Ego is a Great Conditioner. I will definitely repurchase it (whenever I run out). I bought the 33.8 Ounce Jar so it won't be any time soon. It is a Wonderful Product.

Yes, it's a little "pricey" but it Overall, it is a Great Conditioning Treatment. So much so, I also bought the Leave-In Conditioner based on my Love of the Garlic Oil DC.:yep:

There are "other" Garlic Conditioners and also Shampoos by Nutrine.

I make my own oil mix (aloe vera, some essential oils, olive oil) to use when in braids and sometimes add garlic to the spritz bottle. I buy some pre-chopped in a jar, so I just add some to it. It infuses and gets stronger over time. If it doesn't smell too pleasant (too much garlic), I disguise the smell with rosemary and lavender. I only use it 2 times a week and it helps with shedding.

thank you. it took me a loooooooong time to get to this length. About three years. I have a very scissor happy stylist who cuts my hair everytime I get some progress :nono:. Just yesterday she said she wanted to cut it! I told her "no"! If it wasnt for her and her scissor hands, I would be APL right now! Im going to answer your PM, but in more detail. My hair used to shed a lot and since I used the Alter Ego garlic treatment, it stopped. I purchased it at the salon but you can get it from www.amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...eld-keywords=alter+ego+garlic&sprefix=alter+e

Your Hair Looks Great in Your Siggy.:yep: How long did that transformation take?

Last edited:
thank you. it took me a loooooooong time to get to this length. About three years. I have a very scissor happy stylist who cuts my hair everytime I get some progress :nono:. Just yesterday she said she wanted to cut it! I told her "no"! If it wasnt for her and her scissor hands, I would be APL right now! Im going to answer your PM, but in more detail. My hair used to shed a lot and since I used the Alter Ego garlic treatment, it stopped. I purchased it at the salon but you can get it from www.amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...eld-keywords=alter+ego+garlic&sprefix=alter+e

Your hair looks GREAT! Would you mind copying the PM and sending it to me as well. I have excessive shedding and I would really like to stop it. I am currently in braids. Can I still do the alter ego treatment?

Back