Let's talk about grease

What grease are you using? What's in it? How are you using it? Why do you use it? I'm using Blue Magic Coconut Oil Hair Conditioner. It has petroleum, coconut oil and fragrance. I use it mostly because it was sitting around in the cabinet at home, but it turned out to be a great sealant and conditioner. Imagine all the penetrating properties of coconut oil, all the sealant power of petroleum and a light fragrance that makes people say, "do you smell coconuts?"

im transitionning back and this time i will listen to my hair! whatever it likes will be a keeper. writher this is petroleum or other banned stufff in it. !

oh and to answer : i have blue magic coconut grease.
makes my sons ad my hair soft!
keeps it moisturuzed.

i had my best hair when little. guess what they use to use on me: blie magic (blue or sometimes the green one). did wonders

I use the same grease as you OP. I mix castor oil in it sometimes. I stopped using grease when I first went natural, but then I started using it again when I asked my grandmother what her regimen was when she was my age (she had butt length hair back then, she shaved it all off when she reached her 60's) Turns out all she ever used was laundry detergent for her hair and petroleum jelly to seal her bun. Not hopping on the laundry detergent train just yet.

lol wow laundry detergent. well, it did work huh:)

Both my grannies used plain old royal crown. They were natural and pressed with only that grease. One granny had hair to her waist. The other mbl

Both my grannies used plain old royal crown. They were natural and pressed with only that grease. One granny had hair to her waist. The other mbl

proof it works!

my aunt has mbl : she is relaxed and washed rarely.... and uses grease! or vaseline. and baggy a lot.

other aunt is wl ; natural. rinses with her braids in, does use grease too.

:-/

When I was a child my mom would customize grease by adding various oils & herbs. She then sold it to a few friends & neighbors. My sister & I were walking advertisements for her concoction. We had bsl hair until high school. Now I use Nature's Blessings grease. It's the closest resemblance to my mom's grease.

When I was a child my mom would customize grease by adding various oils & herbs. She then sold it to a few friends & neighbors. My sister & I were walking advertisements for her concoction. We had bsl hair until high school. Now I use Nature's Blessings grease. It's the closest resemblance to my mom's grease.

your mom Was in business ! lol

i dont care about the dont do's anymore.
im gonna do me! and whatever Works, will be a keeper!

This thread just made me go out and buy some grease!
My hair was down my back until I was a teenager and started styling it myself. My mom was soo bad at styling my hair so the only thing she did was wash it every week, grease it, and plait it while it was wet. She told me she would take them down the next day and my hair would last the entire week and remain soft.
(I also wasn't relaxed then)
I wonder how I can incorporate this into my regimen.

This thread just made me go out and buy some grease! My hair was down my back until I was a teenager and started styling it myself. My mom was soo bad at styling my hair so the only thing she did was wash it every week, grease it, and plait it while it was wet. She told me she would take them down the next day and my hair would last the entire week and remain soft. (I also wasn't relaxed then) I wonder how I can incorporate this into my regimen.

very low manipulation your mother was using. and it works, all along with grease!

we need to try our elders methods again.
We have way more products now but they had less with the big long hair!

very low manipulation your mother was using. and it works, all along with grease!

we need to try our elders methods again.
We have way more products now but they had less with the big long hair!

This is the truth. I think it's wise to do less to retain more. Makes perfect sense to me.

I love grease too and I seriously slacked off for a while and I tried oil to moisturize my scalp. I've found that my scalp needs grease right after washing and then oiling 2-3 times a week. I want to try a more organic formula though without the petrolatum.

Softee Coconut Oil (I added extra coconut oil)
Softee Mango grease
Sulfur-8 Light (I added tsp of EVOO)
Doo Gro Mega Thick
Doo Gro Extra Light
Doo Gro Anti Itch
Doo Grow Triple Strength (Used this a lot in college and my hair thrived)

Subbing to this thread...im thinking about trying out hair grease to seal my daughters 4a/b hair....i need a long lasting sealant and after having a friend braid her hair with grease the difference from using a butter is crazy its been a week and her ends still look shiny and soft...

This is the truth. I think it's wise to do less to retain more. Makes perfect sense to me.

perfect sense. i had long hair when young because they put braids in and left them i for some time. the grease helped keeping it moisturized and soft...

im gonna do all that now

So today was wash day and after I applied my leave in to damp hair, I added grease and smoothed into a bun. I am six months post and this is THE smoothest my hair has been in months. I didn't even use the scarf method.

I will report back in a few days to see if my hair is a dry, crunchy mess from using grease. If it is, I'd love to learn about some natural greases that don't have mineral oil because I think my hair may need a heavy sealant. Any suggestions, anyone?

So today was wash day and after I applied my leave in to damp hair, I added grease and smoothed into a bun. I am six months post and this is THE smoothest my hair has been in months. I didn't even use the scarf method.

I will report back in a few days to see if my hair is a dry, crunchy mess from using grease. If it is, I'd love to learn about some natural greases that don't have mineral oil because I think my hair may need a heavy sealant. Any suggestions, anyone?

Natural Oasis. The company has several oil blends, but I prefer the grease. It's a nice thick mixture that melts easily at body temperature. No mineral oil whatsoever. I love it for sealing.

I have read about My Honey Child Sophia's Old Fashioned grease, but I have never used it. It is not made with mineral oil.

I use several petrolatum/mineral oil-free greases. They all can be found at the bss (sometimes behind the counter), or at a health fod store:
Tropic Isle Living Jamaican Black Castor Oil Hair Food
Tropic Isle Living JamaicanBlack Castor Oil & Coconut Hair Food
Sunny Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil Hair Pomade (lavender, rosemary or ylang-ylang)
WiseWays Herbals Crowning Glory Hair & Scalp Cream

The Pomade Shop also offers "natural" grease.

This thread is actually making me want to seal with my Blue Magic Coconut oil grease. :yep:

[USER=390697]NaturallyATLPCH[/USER];20250231 said:
The Pomade Shop also offers "natural" grease.

This thread is actually making me want to seal with my Blue Magic Coconut oil grease. :yep:

Go ahead. You won't be disappointed.

Go ahead. You won't be disappointed.

You know krissyhair, I used to also love African Royale's Super and Castor Growth greases.

Now that I understand the method behind the great retention properties (put it on damp hair instead of dry hair) I could definitely see it working for me since I only style my hair once a week.

Once these braids are out, it's on :lol:.

I use several petrolatum/mineral oil-free greases. They all can be found at the bss (sometimes behind the counter), or at a health fod store: Tropic Isle Living Jamaican Black Castor Oil Hair Food Tropic Isle Living JamaicanBlack Castor Oil & Coconut Hair Food Sunny Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil Hair Pomade (lavender, rosemary or ylang-ylang) WiseWays Herbals Crowning Glory Hair & Scalp Cream

Thank you, I know that my BSS carries the tropic isle line and I'll be trying that one for sure!

So I took my greased bun down yesterday (on the third day) and my hair felt great! I'm officially going back to grease. I didn't use grease on a small section just so I could see how it would compare and I could tell the difference as soon as I ran my fingers through my hair. That small section wasn't soft at all and the comb kept snagging. I really hope that incorporating grease means that I don't have to cowash three times a week anymore. I'll see how my hair holds up until wash day and if this is all just a dream lol

Last edited:
I also think back to my mothers routine for my hair; cream of nature shampoo (with sulfate) and conditioner once a week. While wet she would add a little bit of the conditioner followed by grease then 2 braids.
My hair was never dry, and never greasy. Going back to what I know.......

My mom used to use blue ultra sheen on me as a kid. I always did have WL hair but it was almost always braided in 2 pigtails. I was curious about the grease sealing to keep frizz down so I put a pea sized chunk of regular Vaseline mixed in with my frizz ease and castor oil/grapeseed mix I usually use on freshly washed hair before blowdrying. Day 5 my hair is still soft n supple with no moisturizing. Sat outside in humid DMV sat nite with no frizz...I think I will keep up the Vaseline.... Thx OP for reminding us about grease!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Back