how to avoid petroleum in hair grease/pomade?HELP

FineChyna

in reading success stories i keep hearing that petroleum is bad for your hair and people who stopped using stuff w/ that ingrediant had good success w/ their hair. so i have been trying to stop using it as well and its hard because 99% of the hair products in my area use petroleum in hair grease/pomade products. the few that don't have an awful smell. so i am wondering how you get around not using petroleum based grease. i brought some carol's daughter items but the price is going to prevent me from having it on a regular basis so i am looking for an alternative. so basically right now i am alternating between petroleum based products and natural hair care products. i was thinking of just using pink oil exclusively but i need something heavier for my transitioning hair.

lastly can someone tell me why petroleum based products are bad for your hair?
thanks for your help

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I was told that dry hair and scalps need water, not grease and oil. Petrolatum and mineral oil just coat the hair, keep moisture out, make it look greasy and clog the hair follicles hindering hair growth. A lot of people think keeping moisture out is good (i.e. no frizzies), but it isn’t. Your hair will eventually dry up from the inside/out.

I had my scalp "greased" every night as a child and my hair grew.
But it was stiff and greasy. And it made my scalp feel creepy crawly and itch like the dickens! That's why I don't use greasy pomades.

If you want a cheap, easy-to-find lotion moisturizer without petro or mo, some good ones are BB Castor Oil Lotion , African Royale MOM and Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangling Lotion.

FineChyna

i stopped greasing my scalp a really long time ago-i just make sure that when i shampoo that the cholestrol gets on my scalp good-that seems to work really well.

thanks for your help

henrilou

I have the same problem, except for transitioning. But I press my hair, eventually the press wears out and I like a heavy pomade to keep it manageable (and straight in this humid weather) I found some hair shine in a tin at the BODY SHOP. It's thick and has no petroleum. It has lanolin, which is great for hair. I love that stuff...

Kitkat

FineChyna, ORS Carrot Oil is great stuff and has no petroleum or mineral oil. Just make sure you check the label before you buy any products. I notice that products without those ingredients tend to be a bit more expensive, but for me it's worth it because they are so much better for my hair. ORS also makes Tea Tree, Olive and Jojoba Oils that you might also want to check out. I haven't tried those products but I'm willing to bet that they are mineral/petroleum oil free, too.
I'm sure that there are other great products also, but I'm a big cheerleader for ORS.

Pink Oil, huh . . . does it work well for your hair? I don't remember whether it has mineral or petroleum oil but it made my hair incredibly dry. I think there is some type of alcohol in it. But if it works for you, keep using it. Different products don't produce the same results for everyone.
Good luck!

TinyT

I love using shea butters to moisturize my hair. I have used the shea butter pomade and 100% african shea butter by Kemi, and both leave my hair moisturized for days. Another favorite is the nature's blessing pomade. It looks like a grease in the jar, but when applied it is just like a hair oil, and isn't heavy at all. It doesn't have petrolatum or mineral oil either. But one of my favorites is the ORS olive oil. It makes my hair so soft after it has been washed, and it isn't heavy. The fourth ingrediant is mineral oil. But I don't feel my hair is coated, and it is the only thing that makes my hair soft and fluffy with out weighing it down. I have the carrot oil, and it is nice too, and it doesn't have mineral oil or petrolatum.

Tracy

sabie19

I use pertoletum in this homemade product that my aunt makes and the petroletum is very necessary. My hair has grown from using this and it has also gotten thicker.

Crysdon

[ QUOTE ]
I'm loving the ORS Carrot Oil with a little EVOO and Coconut oil mixed in.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are my main staples...and Jojoba oil.