Let's Compare - Shescentit v. Karen's BB

BEAUTYU2U

I never thought I'd be a product junkie but lately, all these natural & homemade companies have me rethinking my frivolousness. So now Shescentit and Karen's Body Beautiful are at the top of my list.

Let's compare ....

Hair Milk & Nectar v. Co Co Cream Leave-in

Luscious Locks Mask v. Banana Brulee & Fortifying Hair Masque

Hair Butter v. Seyani Butter

Hair Cream v. Gillian Hair Butter

Feel free to compare or review any other products from these two companies. Suggestions and recommendations are also welcome. :yep:

Chameleonchick

Lets see

Hair Milk, but I also love the Coco Cream leave in

Definitely Banana Brulee! :lick:

Kbb Hair Butter

The last comparison neither.

chebaby

this is too easyb lmao. ssi has nothing on kbb.
kbb hair milk is amazing, so is the hir craem and hair mask. i dont really like the hair butter but then again i dont like any of ssi hair butters at all.

however i do like the banana brulee.

Pompous Blue

KBB Hair Milk

SSI Banana Brulee (I just ordered KBB's Luscious Locks Moisturizing Hair Mask; so will be trying this soon)

SSI Seyani Butter (my holy grail #1 butter; but I love KBB's butter, too)

I've not tried KBB hair cream. But, I love the SSI Gillian Hair butter.

SSI's Olive & Orange Nourishing Conditioner and Green Tea & Hibiscus Conditioner

LadyRaider

My hair likes Coco Cream Leave in better than the Hair Milk. I personally prefer the consistency of the Hair Milk, but my hair performs much better, stays much softer, and styles more successfully with the CoCo Cream Leave In.

My hair likes the Seyani Hair butter better than the KBB brand. I don't have a texture preference here, though they are different. But my hair just does better with the Seyani. Again, softer, more manageable.

I am a PJ, so I wanted to like the KBB equally, but it didn't happen that way.

The Banana Brulee didn't impress me much, but I haven't used the KBB counterpart. Nor have I used the other products listed.

BEAUTYU2U

Thank you ladies!

I'm interested in the KBB Hair Milk and the Shescentit Banana Brulee. However, I'm trying to stick with one hair care line (if possible) so I wanted to know how the other products worked and compare both lines in general.

Also, don't forget to review scent, customer service, and pricing!

ThickRoot

I don't know if I should reply to this since I've only tried KBB, but maybe something I say can still be helpful to you:

Hair Milk - I'm transitioning and this actually made my new growth very manageable, my hair was moisturized. Ummm, I sometimes think it may cause product buildup for me, but the jury is still out on that one. When it was cold and I used it on loose hair my hair got stiff and weird, think it was the glycerin. Overall, I like it. $16 for 8oz, $24 for 16oz

Luscious Locks - Used a small sample. I think this product is expensive but it seems a little goes a long way. I'm not heavy handed so the sample gave me a decent enough indication of how it would work and my hair was left very soft. The slip was average for me, but again it was a tiny sample so I don't know maybe I needed more of it for slip. $25 for 8oz, $40 for 16oz

Hair Butter - Felt nice on my hair. Everyday for a week though did leave my hair with that dry/oil thing. I don't think I would be able to use it everyday. $16 for 8oz

Hair Cream - Light moisturizing. Also, had the weird stiff thing on loose hair. Again, it was a cold day and I think glycerin was the culprit. $16 for 8oz

Deep Conditioner - I don't think it's deep, I think it's more of a rinse out conditioner personally. I had a weird sort of coating with it the first time I used it, didn't notice it as much over time. Would not repurchase. $16 for 8oz

Juicy Bar - This is the moisturizing shampoo bar. LOVE THIS!!! I have only Chagrin Valley to compare it to but I used so far 2 different CV bars and I think the KBB bar is much better. It lathers yet it's sooooo moisturizing. I also do not need to ACV rinse after. With the CV bars I used I had more of a film feeling on my hair and needed to use the rinse. I paid $12 for one bar. I saw ladies later on this board saying, they got 2 pieces for that price. I contacted the shop after to say I was missing a bar, but I was told they no longer sell it with 2 bars. Mhhhmmm, I'll be interested to know if anyone is still getting 2 bars.

Customer service - my experience of all the "natural product" vendors I've purchased from the service at KBB was just average. Nothing standout or spectacular about it. And quite honestly at times not really helpful. This is not based on 1 visit to the store or 1 phone call, this is based on trips to the store, phone calls, live chat, etc. I've heard people say stellar service and so forth but IMO not so much.

Shipping - I had an order shipped once and it was very fast.

Favorite scents: Pomegranate Guava, Chamomile Sage, and Lavender Vanilla -- and I don't even like vanilla fragrance in anything. I am not an egyptian musk girl at all, but if I was into that scent she does it very well. Also, I usually love coco-mango anything but I found it weirdly sweet. Also, as far as all the natural product vendors IMO KBB does it best when it comes to scents -- hands down. A close second in the scents dept IMO is Oyin.

HTH

I'm gonna order Shescentit on Black Friday, can't wait.

BEAUTYU2U

Oh, that's fine. :up:

I'm looking for hair care products though, not actual human hair. I don't wear extensions.

darlingdiva

I've never used Shescentit, but the KBB products that I use are:

1. Deep Conditioner: I really like it. It is, like ThickRoot said, more of a rinse-out conditioner. It softens & conditions my hair very well.

2. Hair Oil: It's light & provide a nice sheen. I like it b/c it doesn't weigh my hair down.

3. Juicy Shampoo Bar: I love it! It cleanses my hair without stripping it. The Juicy Shampoo Bar is very moisturizing. When I was undoing my twists on Friday, I realized that my hair was softer than usual. I thought back to wash day & realized that it was because of the shampoo bar.

I've used the Luscious Locks Hair Mask before. It's a great product, but it's too moisturizing for my hair.

My favorite scent is Honey Oatmeal. I purchase all of my products in this scent.

LadyRaider

I have ordered from SSI several times now and KBB once. I have not had a customer service problem with either. The products came quickly and as described. I liked the scents of products I got from both companies a lot. I have not ventured out and tried that many scents with SSI as I liked what I ordered the first time (chocolate truffle for the seyani butter.)

I think the prices are a little better with SSI.

werenumber2

KBB's Hair Milk AND Shescentit's Coco Creme are both excellent leave-ins/detanglers. I prefer the Coco Creme just a bit more because I love the warm vanilla fragrance.

From what I recall, KBB's scents are ridiculously strong. As in, don't even bother wearing perfume because no one will even be able to smell it. They're so strong that, even if I liked the scent initially, I was completely sick of it within the first week. For reference - I've tried her products in Vanilla Latte, White Tea, Pomegranate Guava, Cranberry Cocktail, and Chamomile Sage.

I'm considering revisiting the Hair Milk for the Buy2Get1 sale and buying them unscented.

BEAUTYU2U

From what I recall, KBB's scents are ridiculously strong. As in, don't even bother wearing perfume because no one will even be able to smell it. They're so strong that, even if I liked the scent initially, I was completely sick of it within the first week.

That's nice to know. Sometimes I'm the same way. Perfect example - Aussie Moist. I absolutely looooooooooved the scent at first but after using it for daily/every other day co-washing .. :nono:

VictoriousBrownFlower

I wanted so bad to like ssi but my hair is just so picky about protein and all of her products have some form of protein. I love the smell of her products more than kbb but my hair likes kbb better. Its a shame because she has really great ingredients and once again the smell and price is amazing.

I see you are thinking of trying kbbs hair milk. I say go for it. Its very moisturising but light. A little goes a long way for my hair because its fine and gets weighed down easily. The ingredients are great but her products are heavily scented which can annoy me sometimes. She doesnt have any hidden protein in her products which I love and you can get them in unscented if you get bothered by heavy scents.

Also I would advise you to try her luscious locks hair mask. ITs crazy good. Very very very moisturising and awesome ingredients. Once again no protein in it just straight up moisture. A little goes a long way and its unscented which I like. The only downfall with it is its really expensive.

BEAUTYU2U

I wanted so bad to like ssi but my hair is just so picky about protein and all of her products have some form of protein.

I see you are thinking of trying kbbs hair milk. I say go for it. Its very moisturising but light. A little goes a long way for my hair because its fine and gets weighed down easily.

Thanks, BronxJazzy! My hair is also picky about protein and is on the fine side. BTW, the baby in your signature is ADOOOOOORABLE (lol)

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I don't think you really can "Compare":look:

Honestly, I can't compare HV, AV, SSI, KBB, Mozeke, Oyin, Jasmines, Qhemet etc....because I enjoy some things that each of them offer.:lick:

I love KBB's Hair Milk. I was 'gifted' the Hair Mask but haven't used it yet.

I love the Conditioners by SSI. i.e. The Banana Brulee, The Fortifying Mask, the Orange & Green Tea. But I really didn't care for the Butter(s). I like Qhemet.:yep:

So, I think each of them make 'quality' products and I enjoy some items from both lines.

So, I can't do a 'comparison':nono:

They are different yet actually quite nice in their own right.:yep:

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I've never used Shescentit, but the KBB products that I use are:

1. Deep Conditioner: I really like it. It is, like ThickRoot said, more of a rinse-out conditioner. It softens & conditions my hair very well.

2. Hair Oil: It's light & provide a nice sheen. I like it b/c it doesn't weigh my hair down.

3. Juicy Shampoo Bar: I love it! It cleanses my hair without stripping it. The Juicy Shampoo Bar is very moisturizing. When I was undoing my twists on Friday, I realized that my hair was softer than usual. I thought back to wash day & realized that it was because of the shampoo bar.

I've used the Luscious Locks Hair Mask before. It's a great product, but it's too moisturizing for my hair.

My favorite scent is Honey Oatmeal. I purchase all of my products in this scent.

It's funny that you say it's too moisturizing; for me it's not moisturizing enough. When I first apply it to freshly washed hair it goes on good, but once I rinse it out, my hair feels like nothing was even on it. It did nothing for my hair and for the price I was expecting better results.

I like her Deep Conditioner in the bottle better than the Luscious hair mask, and might buy that again.

I will be trying Shescentit next.

AnotherLevel

Ok. I've tried both lines. KBB was one of the first lines I invested in as a new natural. I wanted to like her line sooo badly! I ordered darn near every product she has. Here's my review:

Karen's Body Beautiful-
Hair milk: My hair does not like this AT ALL! I've tried this on wet and dry hair. It does nothing for my hair. In fact, leaves it very dry and yucky-feeling! :nono: I was not happy because LOVE how it smells!! :lick: (I have the cranberry cocktail). It works "ok" for my daughter's 3C hair though so the money wasn't completely wasted.

Hair butter/hair cream: These function similarly for me. I definitely like them better than the hair milk. However the Qhemet Biologics Olive & Amla Heavy Cream and Burdock Root Buttercream work MUCH, MUCH better for my hair. Again, this is a better product for my daughter's 3C hair.

"Regular" Deep Conditioner: This is very thin and works fine as a co-wash conditioner but did nothing for my hair as a DC.

Luscious Locks Moisture Mask: This was huge disappointment. I bought this $25 conditioner thinking it would be the most amazing thing put into a jar. It wasn't terrible for my hair, but worked no different than any other conditioner. It gave me the same results as my plain ol' Giovanni 50/50 or Smooth as Silk... and those are only $4 and change at vitacost.com.

SHESCENTIT :rolleyes:, on the other hand, IS WONDERFUL FOR MY HAIR!!

Shescentit-
CocoCream Leave-In: THE BEST LEAVE-IN I've ever tried! Used with castor oil, I get the softest hair!! This is a definite staple!! I just ordered 4 more bottles!!

Banana Brulee DC: Really nice stuff. KBB's Moisture Mask has nothing on this. This is the second best DC I've ever used. It is second only to Curl Junkie Hibiscus Banana and somethin, somethin. That stuff is excellent... but a little pricey IMO.

"Coco Rinse-Out Conditioning Cream Rinse Something or Other": GREAT!! as a co-wash conditioner. This is by far the best co-wash conditioner I've tried. It even beats out Oyin's Honey Hemp Conditioner as a better co-wash product.

Seyani Hair Butter: I haven't tried this yet but a sample is on it's way. I have a feeling I will love this too. Shescentit hasn't let me down yet.

I will disclose however, that my hair has "special needs" :ohwell:. It tends to get dry and I live in the desert. A lot of products that work well for other people don't work well for me. This may be why my hair is not a fan of KBB. Shescentit though, is by far the best line I've tried. If I had to only order from one line, it would be Shescentit.

Did I mention I like Shescenit?? :grin:

BEAUTYU2U

^ Thank you so much! I understand wanting to like something really bad. As you can tell, I really want to like both lines, especially KBB. But I wanted well rounded, honest, unbiased reviews so I don't make an "emotional" buy.

I don't live in a desert but I bet that puts an interesting spin on product performance. :giggle: I live in the Midwest. Our weather has been kind of finicky lately. :perplexed So it's a little hard to gauge at the moment. Thanks for putting in that disclaimer though!

AnotherLevel

^ Thank you so much! I understand wanting to like something really bad. As you can tell, I really want to like both lines, especially KBB. But I wanted well rounded, honest, unbiased reviews so I don't make an "emotional" buy.

I don't live in a desert but I bet that puts an interesting spin on product performance. :giggle: I live in the Midwest. Our weather has been kind of finicky lately. :perplexed So it's a little hard to gauge at the moment. Thanks for putting in that disclaimer though!

You're welcome. I am from St. Louis (I'm just here for school). I'll be going home next month. I'll bring my KBB stuff with me. Since there is waaay more humidity there, I'm sure they will work better.

I would suggest you get samples of both (other's may have suggested this as well). I doubt you'll be disappointed with either. Both lines have great reviews.

MissRissa

conditioner: Shescentit hands down

i haven't tried the milk from ssi, but i love both the milk and nectar from KBB

the seyani butter is the only butter i've tried so far that my hair likes