Learn From Sapphira

Renovating

Hi Ladies,
I've seen submission discussed quite a bit here and I thought I would share a guided reading passage from my Aspire Women of Color Study bible. I pray that this will provide new revelation to those dealing with submission issues.

Sapphira: A Lost Opportunity for Truth

In the early days of the church, individual believers occasionally sold property and voluntarily brought the proceeds to the apostles to be distributed to those in need (Acts 4:34-37). During this time, selfishness, a longing for recognition, and deceit entered into the hearts of Sapphira and her husband, Ananias. This couple sold a piece of property and then decided to keep part of the money for themselves and give part of it to the church (Acts 5:1-2). That would have been fine, but they wanted the apostles and the other believers to think that they were giving all of the money. This couple agreed to lie to the church. In doin so, they ultimately lied to God.
When Sapphira's husband approached the apostles with the money, the Holy Spirit exposed his heart to the apostle Peter. As a result of his evil intent, Ananias died immediately. Three hours later Sapphira arrived, not knowing about her husband's death. God led Peter to question Sapphira, giving her an opportunity to speak truthfully. But Sapphira chose to perpetuate the lie. and, like her husband, this resulted in her immediate death. Sapphira placed more confidence in her husband's evil plan than in God. What could have been a blessing to the church turned into a disaster.
The deaths of Sapphira and her husband shocked the church. God showed them all that he will not tolerate dishonesty in relationships. A woman's relationship with God and her husband should be based on integrity and commitment. She is to respect her husband and agree to Godly decisions. She is not told to submit to ungodly or wicked schemes, especially ones that would cause her to be untruthful. It is important for her to keep the marriage covenant- something ordained by God. More important, she is always to keep her covenant with God, never willingly putting herself in a position to break that covenant. If by chance she finds herself faced with an ungodly decision made by her spouse, she should speak the truth in love so they can grow together spiritually.

- G. London

Acts 4:32- 5:11
Ephesians 4:14-15,25

In a nutshell, submit only to a man that is submitting to God.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
:up:

Beautiful...the story of Ananias and Sapphira is a very good example of the wrong kind of submission in a marriage...as well as deceit and lack of integrity in the church. :yep:

Hi Ladies,
I've seen submission discussed quite a bit here and I thought I would share a guided reading passage from my Aspire Women of Color Study bible. I pray that this will provide new revelation to those dealing with submission issues.

Sapphira: A Lost Opportunity for Truth

In the early days of the church, individual believers occasionally sold property and voluntarily brought the proceeds to the apostles to be distributed to those in need (Acts 4:34-37). During this time, selfishness, a longing for recognition, and deceit entered into the hearts of Sapphira and her husband, Ananias. This couple sold a piece of property and then decided to keep part of the money for themselves and give part of it to the church (Acts 5:1-2). That would have been fine, but they wanted the apostles and the other believers to think that they were giving all of the money. This couple agreed to lie to the church. In doin so, they ultimately lied to God.
When Sapphira's husband approached the apostles with the money, the Holy Spirit exposed his heart to the apostle Peter. As a result of his evil intent, Ananias died immediately. Three hours later Sapphira arrived, not knowing about her husband's death. God led Peter to question Sapphira, giving her an opportunity to speak truthfully. But Sapphira chose to perpetuate the lie. and, like her husband, this resulted in her immediate death. Sapphira placed more confidence in her husband's evil plan than in God. What could have been a blessing to the church turned into a disaster.
The deaths of Sapphira and her husband shocked the church. God showed them all that he will not tolerate dishonesty in relationships. A woman's relationship with God and her husband should be based on integrity and commitment. She is to respect her husband and agree to Godly decisions. She is not told to submit to ungodly or wicked schemes, especially ones that would cause her to be untruthful. It is important for her to keep the marriage covenant- something ordained by God. More important, she is always to keep her covenant with God, never willingly putting herself in a position to break that covenant. If by chance she finds herself faced with an ungodly decision made by her spouse, she should speak the truth in love so they can grow together spiritually.

- G. London

Acts 4:32- 5:11
Ephesians 4:14-15,25

In a nutshell, submit only to a man that is submitting to God.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
True word...

There are far too many women in jail today, who followed behind (submitted to) the 'wrong man'. Most definitely an unGodly man.

Selling drugs for him; allowing him to sell drugs living with her; stealing for him; stealing with him... basically living as his accomplist. :nono::nono::nono: