Ladies with TWA what type of protective styles are you wearing?

dimpalz

I don't understand why hopeful is keeping all them pretty pics to herself! Do you have them online somewhere, I'm planning my BC for next week and I love scoping the natural galleries =)

hopeful

dimpalz said:
I don't understand why hopeful is keeping all them pretty pics to herself! Do you have them online somewhere, I'm planning my BC for next week and I love scoping the natural galleries =)

Thanks for the compliment Dimpalz:). I have a fotki album that I plan to open back up in about a month or so. I wanted to wait 3 months post bc before I started posting pics again. I wanted to be sure I could see growth so I would be encouraged. I wish you all the best with your bc. Feel free to pm me if you need any advice or encouragement.

BamaBelle

Hey y'all!

This was a really (really) good thread! So often (most often) the threads are posted by and for sisters with longer hair. It's good to have one geared more to those of us growing out TWA's. While the posts for and by sisters with longer hair serve as incentive/encouragement on this journey, natural, short hair truly has a set of characteristics exclusive to it. I have tried many of the products others have listed in the Forum without the success they have found: I have chalked this up to the fact that my TWA, in all its glory, has a life and mind of its own and that I need to get in touch with it. :)

As for "protective styles," I never considered the TWA as one... I suppose it is though. At any rate, since my hair is a wee-bit longer now, I've been trying that headband thing lots of sisters are talking about. I've discovered my head is too small :eek: and the band doesn't get tight enough to hold the hair in that puffy thing-a-majig I see many of y'all wear. I also picked up some Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding ($39? I didn't know any better, y'all, so no yellin'!) to use when I do the Twist-out. It works well enough but there's got to be a less expensive alternative! Daggone!

Well, y'all, I'm off to try to correct this reddish/orange color mess I've made of my hair. Don't worry: I'm not using a permanent/semi-permanent color: Using Adore rinse. I'll let y'all know how this works out... :perplexed

BLESSED1

Now that my hair is short I either wash & go or wear 1 of my wigs.

Tishee, have you tried using a shower filter? I recently moved to an area w/ hard water & my hair & skin were shot immediately. Made a quick trip to Lowe's and solved that problem :)

ekomba

tishee said:
thanks ekomba! I wore braids on and off throughout highschool and my hairline is so weak. Recently, I started using MN and it is filling in nicely but you can still see a little scalp:eek:. I choose the wrong braid styles(mostly micro & cornrowns where the braider pulled my hair so tight that I didn't have the sense to tell here not to put alot of stress on my hairline). Once I get 4 inches of hair I plan on getting some kinky twists and follow the grow afro hair long regimen for 2 years. Ekomba thanks for the suggestion.....really thanks.

You welcome Tishee! you can always try the scurl i used it back then or even some msm to soften the hair and silica and they are many nice suggestions on this thread, but if you feel after trying all of the above that the hair stays hard, you cant comb it, and the scalp feels very very sensitive, it might be scab hair. me personnally there was nothing i could do cowash, all the lotions everything the hair was the hardest i have ever seen and my scalp so sore, i had to shave till the hair came in softer, i could not save it. Hopefully it just a need of products and change of regimen but if you did a recent big chop then it s normal to experience scab hair for a while. you could just trim it as it grows some scab hair last a couple a months some more some less. i transitioned for a year but had to part with all i had gained:eek: in 2004 but my hair is now the softest it has ever been without using products but cowashes keep my hair moist. (i only use products for growth and detangling and only apply them on damp hair) but with my twa i used mostly scurl and african braid spray