Ladies with TWA what type of protective styles are you wearing?

morehairplease

I am in need of a protective style to wear my twa in but so far no luck. It's really short and other than a cap(which I hate wearing) what are my other options?

thanks in advance ladies

MeechUK

MeechUK
tishee said:
I am in need of a protective style to wear my twa in but so far no luck. It's really short and other than a cap(which I hate wearing) what are my other options?

thanks in advance ladies

Hi Tishee,
have you tried comb coils they are really cute and can last anywhere up to 3wks with proper care. There is a how to guide on short hair styling on Naani.com

MeechUK

cece22

Tishee, TWA is considered a protective style as long as your hair is not touching your clothing. One of my other protective styles is braids.

MzTami

Hellerrrr
cece22 said:
Tishee, TWA is considered a protective style as long as your hair is not touching your clothing. One of my other protective styles is braids.
ITA..I don't do much with my TWA but keep it moisturized and I have nice growth.

shellzfoshizzle

I agree with what someone said about the comb coils above. I don't like them on me, but when I see them on other women, it's beautiful! They look like they would last a long time as well!

I won't be wearing protective styles until the winter, so I don't have any other rec's.

hopeful

Hi Tishee,

I'm still wearing a twa, I bc'd two months ago. Right now I think my hair is still too short to do much with other than wear scarves and flowers. I don't like how I look with comb coils and IMO it's still too short to twist or braid and look nice in public. But, I will tell you that when I bc'd last year by the time I reached 4 months it was long enough to wear twists and braids and it looked cute. So hold on, you'll be able to protect your hair sooner than you think! For now, my hair is growing a lot with frequent conditioner washes (or just plain rinsing with water), a weekly deep conditioning, and trying to keep it moisturized as much as possible. Good luck Tishee. Girl, we will both be out of this twa stage soon enough, I know some people love twas but I just feel better when I have at least 4 to 5 inches of hair.

shellzfoshizzle

hopeful said:
Hi Tishee,

I'm still wearing a twa, I bc'd two months ago. Right now I think my hair is still too short to do much with other than wear scarves and flowers. I don't like how I look with comb coils and IMO it's still too short to twist or braid and look nice in public. But, I will tell you that when I bc'd last year by the time I reached 4 months it was long enough to wear twists and braids and it looked cute. So hold on, you'll be able to protect your hair sooner than you think! For now, my hair is growing a lot with frequent conditioner washes (or just plain rinsing with water), a weekly deep conditioning, and trying to keep it moisturized as much as possible. Good luck Tishee. Girl, we will both be out of this twa stage soon enough, I know some people love twas but I just feel better when I have at least 4 to 5 inches of hair.

hopeful, i didnt know u were a natural and i didnt know u BC'ed two months ago! im late, but congrats! how did you bc last year and two months ago? lol im confused.

hopeful

shellzfoshizzle said:
hopeful, i didnt know u were a natural and i didnt know u BC'ed two months ago! im late, but congrats! how did you bc last year and two months ago? lol im confused.

Thanks for the congrats and LOL well it's like this, I bc'd 1/27/05, but about 5 1/2 months later I relaxed it:blush:. Why? Mostly I think I was obsessed with "showing" length and was frustrated that I couldn't wear a wash and go anymore after I got to about 4 months because of the different textures in my hair and the very uneven shrinkage, I really needed to wear braids/twists or braid/twist-outs.

So I was anxious to show length and I think also got a little lazy because I was overwhelmed with preparing to move cross country from Massachusetts to California. Guess I was overwhelmed. To say that I regret relaxing it again is a MAJOR understatement. If I had hung in there girl I would be 16 months natural now, can you imagine how long and pretty it would be? At first I was really upset with myself :wallbash: but I guess you live an learn:ohwell:. Bottom-line, my hair and chemicals do not agree with each other.

So, after I moved and settled in a bit I bc'd again on 3/21/06. I still get frustrated but this time I am determined to stick it out. I am so over the prospect of uneven shrinkage this time, I'm just like it is what it is so deal with it, ya know? This time, so long as hair is growing out of my head I'm going to be grateful:).

ETA: Congrats to you too on your BC!

Last edited:

morehairplease

MeechUK said:
Hi Tishee,
have you tried comb coils they are really cute and can last anywhere up to 3wks with proper care. There is a how to guide on short hair styling on Naani.com

MeechUK

wow, thanks SO much! off to check out the site!

ekomba

tishee said:

thanks in advance ladies

Hey Tishee when i was bald, my braider waited till i had at least 1" then did single braids but tiny ones at first cause the hair was short and not too long so it would not slip. so i did braids for 2 months. then when i had enough followed with just cornrows. before that i used to just keep a dorag on my head:) at night when it was bald or just stay like that cause they was basically no hair to grab.

morehairplease

cece22 said:

really?! I didn't know this...for some reason I have always thought of a protective style as begin something where the ends were not out.....go figures.....thanks for clearing this up for me.

morehairplease

MzTami said:
ITA..I don't do much with my TWA but keep it moisturized and I have nice growth.

this is so hard for me b/c my hair can't seem to keep any moisture...it's always dry(no matter what I do to it). So far I have increased my water intake, workout times, & cw(deep conditioner and pre poos) and nothing seems to be working. In all honestly, I think that I have scab hair. Today I plan on looking at my regimen and see what I am doing wrong....but this moisture thing is just not happening for me right now:( :mad:

morehairplease

shellzfoshizzle said:
I agree with what someone said about the comb coils above. I don't like them on me, but when I see them on other women, it's beautiful! They look like they would last a long time as well!

I won't be wearing protective styles until the winter, so I don't have any other rec's.

I'm going to try and find someone that does them(saw a picture on nanni.com and they are beautiful). One quick question: can you cw/deep condition with them in? Starting next month I will workout Monday-Friday and my head seems to sweat heavy/first.

tia,
tishee

morehairplease

hopeful said:
Hi Tishee,

I feel this way too. For some reason my twa isn't as polished as I would like for it to be(the straight hairs are driving me crazy). About two weeks ago I got a haircut thinking that would help and it didn't those darn hairs are still there:mad: :mad:. I have got to find a good deep conditioner b/c I was using Lekair cholesterol and it made my hair extremely hard. This weekend I plan on purchasing AO honeysuckle rose and gpb from wild oats. Hopefully, the HR will do the trick...we'll see.

Jadacrys

I had a TWA for like two years. I had color mishaps, braid mishaps, and bad haircuts that hindered me from growing it out.

I am so off topic :lol:- I used to wear small 2 strand twists. That was a good style for my hair.

I also wore finger coils. Same idea as comb coils, except I used my finger. ORS lock and twist gel is good for either style. Mango and Lime locking gel is good for the 2 strands.

I also used curl activator or Aloe Vera gel mixed with a pomade for definition.

Headbands! Once you get maybe about 3 inches of hair, you can wear the goody bands or even thicker bands for a pseudo puff.

There is good article on nappturality that talks about short hair styles that helped me through.

HTH

angelk316

tishee said:
this is so hard for me b/c my hair can't seem to keep any moisture...it's always dry(no matter what I do to it). So far I have increased my water intake, workout times, & cw(deep conditioner and pre poos) and nothing seems to be working. In all honestly, I think that I have scab hair. Today I plan on looking at my regimen and see what I am doing wrong....but this moisture thing is just not happening for me right now:( :mad:

what products are you using?
How is your diet?

MzTami

Hellerrrr
tishee said:
Tishee...I had a major problem with dry hair when I was transitioning. What products are you using?

I don't know if you are using ElastQP mango butter, but I really feel that ElastaQP mango butter was responsible for drying my hair out. I didn't change my diet, but I stopped using the mango butter because Onespraying told me it's known to dry out your hair.

Lately, I've been alternating between the following for moisture: SCurl, Mango & Lime Catus Moisturizer, Sta Soft Fro, and sometimes Surge moisturizer. I seal it with either EVOO, shea butter oil, or aloe vera oil . My hair stays moist the whole day. HTH

hopeful

tishee said:
I feel this way too. For some reason my twa isn't as polished as I would like for it to be(the straight hairs are driving me crazy). About two weeks ago I got a haircut thinking that would help and it didn't those darn hairs are still there:mad: :mad:. I have got to find a good deep conditioner b/c I was using Lekair cholesterol and it made my hair extremely hard. This weekend I plan on purchasing AO honeysuckle rose and gpb from wild oats. Hopefully, the HR will do the trick...we'll see.

Tishee, I had the same problem with straight hairs, eventually they started to coil up. The hair in my nape area, the bottom two inches or so is very dry too. What I found works for that hair is to saturate it with water then apply Carol's Daughter Some of Maugerite's Magic (with a heavy hand), then seal heavily with an oil (I like the CD Khoret Amen oil, although it does have a strong smell, any quality oil will do though). It would like this at night:DSCN1067-vi.jpg
By morning it would no longer be white or gooey and it would be soft and moisturized. Before it was long enough to braid I would just apply those products and cover with a silk scarf.

Once my hair was long enough to braid, I would wear it like this:DSCN0715-vi.jpg I would roll the ends at night with small magnetic rollers, that helped me feel more like it was styled and it helped the braid-out look nice. The braids really helped hold in the moisture. The resulting braid-out would look like this:DSCN0745-vi.jpg

Just try to be patient. Eventually your efforts will pay off. I found that deep conditioning helped but nothing worked better than my efforts of daily moisturizing. And it is very possible that you have scab hair, eventually your hair will grow in softer and will be easier to moisturize. I can't wait for my hair to be long enough to braid again. Hopefully in two months it will have enough length.

Last edited:

hopeful

MzTami said:
Tishee...I had a major problem with dry hair when I was transitioning. What products are you using?

I don't know if you are using ElastQP mango butter, but I really feel that ElastaQP mango butter was responsible for drying my hair out. I didn't change my diet, but I stopped using the mango butter because Onespraying told me it's known to dry out your hair.

Lately, I've been alternating between the following for moisture: SCurl, Mango & Lime Catus Moisturizer, Sta Soft Fro, and sometimes Surge moisturizer. I seal it with either EVOO, shea butter oil, or aloe vera oil . My hair stays moist the whole day. HTH

These are great suggestions.

morehairplease

Jadacrys said:
I had a TWA for like two years. I had color mishaps, braid mishaps, and bad haircuts that hindered me from growing it out.

I am so off topic :lol:- I used to wear small 2 strand twists. That was a good style for my hair.

I also wore finger coils. Same idea as comb coils, except I used my finger. ORS lock and twist gel is good for either style. Mango and Lime locking gel is good for the 2 strands.

I also used curl activator or Aloe Vera gel mixed with a pomade for definition.

Headbands! Once you get maybe about 3 inches of hair, you can wear the goody bands or even thicker bands for a pseudo puff.

There is good article on nappturality that talks about short hair styles that helped me through.

HTH

really....off to take a look. :)

morehairplease

ekomba said:
Hey Tishee when i was bald, my braider waited till i had at least 1" then did single braids but tiny ones at first cause the hair was short and not too long so it would not slip. so i did braids for 2 months. then when i had enough followed with just cornrows. before that i used to just keep a dorag on my head:) at night when it was bald or just stay like that cause they was basically no hair to grab.

thanks ekomba! I wore braids on and off throughout highschool and my hairline is so weak. Recently, I started using MN and it is filling in nicely but you can still see a little scalp:eek:. I choose the wrong braid styles(mostly micro & cornrowns where the braider pulled my hair so tight that I didn't have the sense to tell here not to put alot of stress on my hairline). Once I get 4 inches of hair I plan on getting some kinky twists and follow the grow afro hair long regimen for 2 years. Ekomba thanks for the suggestion.....really thanks.

morehairplease

angelk316 said:
what products are you using?
How is your diet?

hi,

here's my current regimen:
-cw every day or every other day w/Suave citrus smoothie and follow with humectant
-apply oyin's greg juice and detangle
-apply scurl::looking to replace this b/c glycerine is not my friend:( to my hair
-apply Nexxus botanic oil to my ends by rubbing it over my hair

This weekend I plan on picking up Aubrey organics honeysuckle rose & gpb conditioner. My plan in to pre poo w/gpb and deep condition(w/steam)using the honeysuckle rose conditioner.

I tried doing hot oil treatments with Nexxus botanic oil but it made my hair extremely hard for some reason.

My diet is okay, not great just okay. I eat lean red meat once or twice a week, grilled chicken skinless/boneless, drink loads of water, eat as many fresh fruits/veggies that I get my hands on and that's it. Next month I plan on increasing my workout times to an hour and 45 mintues for 3 days a week. At the beginning of the year, I purchased GNC ultra mega multivit but started the colonix and didn't take them. I plan on starting those next month as well. Also, I plan on purchasing msm(in powder form), silica and biotin from the vitamin shoppe.

My diet needs a little improvement b/c I tend to indulge in a 'treat' every day...but other than that I can not see what I am doing wrong.

morehairplease

MzTami said:

thanks MzTami! I have heard so many raves about the M&L moisturizer def. getting this. Thanks for the suggestions....thanks.

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
tishee said:

Have you tried Qhemet Biologics. My hair tends to be on the dry side and I found that with her products that my hair was really moisturized

morehairplease

hopeful said:
Tishee, I had the same problem with straight hairs, eventually they started to coil up. The hair in my nape area, the bottom two inches or so is very dry too. What I found works for that hair is to saturate it with water then apply Carol's Daughter Some of Maugerite's Magic (with a heavy hand), then seal heavily with an oil (I like the CD Khoret Amen oil, although it does have a strong smell, any quality oil will do though). It would like this at night:View attachment 1929
By morning it would no longer be white or gooey and it would be soft and moisturized. Before it was long enough to braid I would just apply those products and cover with a silk scarf.

Once my hair was long enough to braid, I would wear it like this:View attachment 1930 I would roll the ends at night with small magnetic rollers, that helped me feel more like it was styled and it helped the braid-out look nice. The braids really helped hold in the moisture. The resulting braid-out would look like this:View attachment 1931

Just try to be patient. Eventually your efforts will pay off. I found that deep conditioning helped but nothing worked better than my efforts of daily moisturizing. And it is very possible that you have scab hair, eventually your hair will grow in softer and will be easier to moisturize. I can't wait for my hair to be long enough to braid again. Hopefully in two months it will have enough length.

hopeful thanks SO much for this!:kissing4:

morehairplease

Wildchild453 said:
Have you tried Qhemet Biologics. My hair tends to be on the dry side and I found that with her products that my hair was really moisturized

hi wildchild,

I tried QB and they didn't work :( .

Zeal

ekomba said:

Listen to EKOMBA. She is the growth queen!