Ladies who wait.......

honeycomb719

12 weeks or longer to relax. Can you have the relaxer put on all of your hair or do you just need to do the new-growth? I ask because my ends look frizzy and I just had my ends clipped around 2 weeks ago. Is this a bad idea if your switching to a lye relaxer? I scare if I just do my nappy roots the ends would still look bad. Please help!!

Thanx Ladies

I would not recommend it for fear of over processing your hair. If conditioners or moisturizing your hair does not get rid of the frizzies, then you might want to trim it. Because I don't use lye relaxers I cannot comment on that part of your question. HTH

How long have you had your current perm? When I switched to a lye after 8yrs having affirm the stylist did apply it all over, I did'nt have real big problem but it did do some breaking. So I really don't advise it.

If you do, I would make sure they do the new growth and once it's relaxed just before rininsg smooth to the ends OR just do the new growth and if the ends look real bad do them next time just be careful. BY ALL MEANS DO NOT LET THEM LEAVE THAT STUFF ON YOUR ALREADY PERMED ENDS LONG...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I ask because my ends look frizzy and I just had my ends clipped around 2 weeks ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

After you gets your ends trimmed, do you do anything to seal them? Sometimes, people complain that they have split ends after having a trim when in fact it's a result of the trim itself. There really are no splits, but it appears to them that there are.

After I have my ends trimmed, I always do the sealing bit. Usually an intense conditioning to the ends alone topped off with either a fat butter or heavier oil. Then, a regular shampooing/conditioning of entire head a day or so later.

I couldn't tell you exactly why, but my ends always look freshly trimmed for a longer period.

~Jade~

i wouldn't do it. i had used no lye since 1986. however, when i switched to Affirm in november, she only applied it to the new growth. i haven't had any problems with it or any breakage because of it.

i can't see any benefit to re-relaxing the other hair...

adrienne

I only get the relaxer put on my new growth. I would never get it pulled through my hair for fear of being over-processed and/or damaged.

I have to agree, Honeycomb! I totally would not re-relax any part of my hair. Especially, not the ends because it is the oldest, my fragile part of your hair.

I have some parts of my hair that were underprocessed and it is a pain in the behind!

Sealing the ends sounds like a great idea. I know some on the board use the Crown and Glory method by putting oil/conditioner on the ends, wrapping them in foil and "sealing" with a hot curling iron or flat iron.

I haven't tried that yet but it sounds like a great idea.

Good luck! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I woudn't recommend putting the relaxer all through your hair. Relaxer should only be applied to new growth. Probably you should put some kind of silicone serum on your when it is wet to seal your ends.

for some reason, sealing the ends with foil and a curling iron always brings frying bacon to my mind... /images/graemlins/shocked.gif i think i'd definitely try jade's method first! lol!

adrienne

Hah! Well, you'll note that I said I haven't tried it yet? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Thanks for that visual, Adrienne! Well, if you don't do it, then I won't cause you're my hair idol!
/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif

Hi Honeycomb,

If your ends are frizzy due to a no-lye relaxer, nothing will straighten it. I know because I switched from a no-lye to a lye and the relaxer was applied to my new growth and 3 minutes before washing out the lye relaxer, it was massaged through the ends of my hair. I didn't leave it for long, so there was no damage, but it did nothing for the frizzy ends. Just have it applied to the new growth. The danger in re-relaxing the whole hair is that you can thin out your hair severly by doing this. You can trim away the frizzy ends slowly, but I don't know that there is much remedy available for thined out hair. HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanx ladies for responing /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I've had this relaxer since Nov.8th, my ends look frizzy in certain parts mainly the side and front of my hair where the length are shortest. I have decided not to have my ends relaxed, but will like to learn more about sealing ends. I've read the method used by the Hair Lady, but I agree w/ Adrienne, it sounds like frying the hair, LOL. Jade, do you apply the the heavy oil to the hair while wet or dry? How often will I need to seal the ends to keep them smooth? Is any heat needed to do this? I know so many question /images/graemlins/smirk.gif But, I do appreciate you all you just don't know /images/graemlins/bouncy.gif

You would think I would know better to asked about overlapping, but I'm not sure if any of you have ever experienced this, but my hair since it's always been different lengths it seems the shorter parts get kinky faster, like the new growth reaches the ends almost,and the parts that are longer the new growth is more easily distinguished. My friends who's hair is all longer than mine shoulder length or longer, when it is time for them to get a relaxer you can't really tell unless your all up on there head. Do anybody understand what I'm talking about?

azjeepgurl, that smiley always cracks me up. you're so sweet! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

honeycomb, it can't hurt to ask. i'm not sure what to tell you about your problem, but i do know what you mean. you can definitely benefit from trying jade's method of sealing the ends. heck, we all could, i'm sure! let us know if it helps! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

Back