Ladies I will update this thread later with My Baking soda Review.

IntoMyhair

And guess what I have pictures! I will also take a pic today to show you what my new growth looks like after a few days.

Stay tuned!

Oh yes I am so in love!

Ok so keep in mind that next wednesday i will be 7 weeks post. I have started using my growth mix so i already had a nice amount of new growth. Without the mix i start seeing new growth after 4 weeks. I relaxed last on 5/21.

My mix was pure baking soda A&H mixed with kenra moisturizing conditioner. I first did a baking soda rinse with just BS mixed in with water i did not measure this i just pured it in. My mix was about 4 or 5 oz's of conditioner and 2/3 cup of BS.

I will post some old pics of my new growth first.
Old pic taken last year or so.

My mix for the second time.
2/3 cups of Bs with 4 or 5oz's of kenra conditioner.

What i did was coated my hair with the mixture than set under the dryer for 30 minutes. Than left it on for 30 more minutes without heat

((((This time i will up date has i go instead of all at once))))

Hair coated in BS

Front of hair coated

I also forget to add that i am will be 7 weeks post on the 8th. I have also started re using my growth mix so i do have a nice amout of new growth. I usually start to see growth after 4 weeks.

After rinse out and detangle

Smoothed back into a bun. This is right after the treatment.

Crown of head

Edges

Now what my hair looks like with out BS and new growth

Now for the real result pic.

Ok i have a little secret. Before i permed my hair when i still had in my plaits. I hit a hick up there was a plaited that i sprayed with a detangler (which nothing works for me) anyway this plaits the roots just became matted so i cut the plait. So now i have section of hair only a few inches long but it is like 99% texlaxed.

Here is a section of hair about the same size with new growth. This sectioned has been combed out by the way.

Un combed area of hair with new growth.

Now that cut section thatis about the same size. I put a piece of paper behind it to show better.

^^^ Notice there is no 4aing of my roots.

I should add these pics where taken today. Also the ones i am about to post are today. These pics are after 1 full day of wearing a bun and 1 full day of a braid out. Today is the 3rd day since. I have been in the heat and all that.

I should also add that i did not smell any perm smell or feel any itching or anything while having this on my hair.
Pics from this morning to come.

^^^ the back of my hair. Usually i have tight 4a corkscrews in this area. Now it looks more 4b with 1 or 2 soft waves.

The front of hair washed with a baking soda rinse than baking soda applied.

^^^After a few days later. I airdryed my hair after rinsing out. in the set of pics showing my crown and edges my aair is hair dried right after detangling. I was able to detangle twice once with my jilbere(my whole head) Than again with my denman Detangling was a breeze there was no snapping sound very little breakage

I think this is it for pics.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. I see the difference. So how often will you use the BS and conditioner?

Shout out to GeechyGurl For PMing me hair mix and how she applied it!!!

I may not have did this without her pm on how to do it.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. I see the difference. So how often will you use the BS and conditioner?

I will know better after i DC which will be either today or tomorrow. I have to see how much my hair reverts. Even if it reverts all the way back to 4a. The BS is still beneficial Since it makes detangling so easy.

But if it does revert i plan to use it every 2 weeks. My plan is to switch to a kiss regime of washing every 2 weeks and doing braid out or buns in between.

Now if for some reason it does not revert and the texture says the same. I would treat the Bs like a relaxer. Only doing the roots and not the whole length.

I should also add that before doing the BS treatment i did not wash my hair for a week and once finding out about the BS it took me a couple of days to pick up a box. I held off on washing to use the bs instead. My hair should have been a tangle mess after rinsing out. Because i only finger detangled before starting the treatment.

I will also use my normal DC of NTM mask instead of Kenra. In case the Bs did not work i did not want to wast my NTM mask lol. Kenra was the only moisturizing conditioner i had that i did not mind wasting.

Last edited:
Lord, Jesus! This gurl is trying to get me stoned!:lachen:I'm glad it worked out for you. I, personally, don't plan to use it often, but it was useful and I did notice a difference. It was much more managable. I can see the difference in your pictures. :shocked: Your hair looks really good.:yep:

Shout out to GeechyGurl For PMing me hair mix and how she applied it!!!

I may not have did this without her pm on how to do it.

Lord, Jesus! This gurl is trying to get me stoned!:lachen:I'm glad it worked out for you. I, personally, don't plan to use it often, but it was useful and I did notice a difference. It was much more managable. I can see the difference in your pictures. :shocked: Your hair looks really good.:yep:

LOL Naw i would have probably did it wrong or something without the pms. I love it! Today is now day 5 and my hair is still good and manageable. I am almost hating my Dc day. Now I may go and get me some more curlformers. I can roller set now if i want to. I am in love with Baking soda.

Oh I do see the difference. Maybe I'll try this one day before flat ironing. I've only used baking soda to clarify.

I use baking soda to clarify with and I love the results. After reading this thread and other posts/threads like it, I decided to give BS as a texturizer a try. Well the results were awesome. I don't have any pic's and I don't even know if the results are visible, but I sure can feel the difference. I'm going on 16 weeks post and my NG feels sooo nice (no roughness, ubber soft, and very manageable).

Here is what I did: First off I didn't measure anything. I squeezed some devacurl no poo in a plastic container and added one good helping of BS and stirred it all up. I applied the mixture to my NG ONLY and then seran wrapped my entire head. I rinsed after 30 mins or so, and proceeded with my regular wash regimen.

wow the difference I saw was it really made your edges smoothed out. I saw a difference in all the pics though! wow this is the first time I have seen actual before and after pics of BS use! This is good documentation for others! :yep:

LOL Naw i would have probably did it wrong or something without the pms. I love it! Today is now day 5 and my hair is still good and manageable. I am almost hating my Dc day. Now I may go and get me some more curlformers. I can roller set now if i want to. I am in love with Baking soda.

So did you feel it was drying at all? I'm so confused about the posts on BS , because some say its drying some say its not

So did you feel it was drying at all? I'm so confused about the posts on BS , because some say its drying some say its not

No not really during the rinse out my hair felt like silk. I don't understand how it works on hair like it did. My hair is still good I just took pics of my braidout this morning. Usually when i try new things it will work like gold the first few times than bam (kenra) it does not work anymore.

But no it did not dry out my hair. I had more shed hair than broken hairs come out. Detangling for me was always snapping and popping. There was none of that.

I do have a theory though. In appearance i think it works better on 4a type hair than 4b. I say that because of the difference with my own newgrowth. If i had not actually felt those tight *** corkscrews before using the BS. I would think that they where never there. I have yet to wash my hair. So i don't know how the reverting part works.
my edges and nape are 4b the whole middle of my head (the hardest to detangle) is 4a.

Anyway no it did not feel drying no more drying than any other time i Dc with kenra.

I'm four and a half months post and it's definitely helping me. The last time I tried to go natural, I didn't make it far past three months b/c of the dreaded wash/cond/dry/flat iron.:nono: Now, I wash/cond/dry every 2-3 days. I hardly flat iron b/c I'm wearing a phony pony. :grin:

I hope this will help me stretch my relaxers.

Back