Went to African Braider today

PassionFruit

to get my protective style of the month ( in my fotki are pics) and shen she started she immediately whipped out the black gel.... I told her no thanks and whipped out my Nexxuss Exxtra Gel... She asked me why I didnt want to use black gel and when I told her she replied... You know whats healthy for your hair, a lot of people dont know & dont care... then she said she doesnt even use black gel in her own hair

WTF??

anyhoo, the Nexxuss stuff is hellafied expensive ( $12 a tube) but if it saves my precious strands from alcohol induced brittleness & dryness, its worth it

http://www.nexxus.com/hair_care_types/styling_products/sl_exxtra-gel_styling_sculptor_gel.html

Defined, sculptured, and sleek were never this chic.
Benefits:
Imagine, a styling gel with strong hold that adds shine, control, and sculptural definition. Alcohol and color free this hard-working gel blends instantly into damp or dry hair. A formula including Chamomille, Collagen, and Elastins adds elasticity and shine.

ingredients:
Water (Aqua), Polyacrylamidomethylpropane Sulfonic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Collagen Amino Acids, Hydrolyzed Elastin, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Matricaria (Chamomilla Recutita) Flower Extract, Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Soluble Collagen, Tocopheryl Acetate, Avocado (Persea Gratissima) Oil, Soybean (Glycine Soja) Sterol, Wheat Flour (Triticum Vulgare) Lipids, Ceramide 3, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Alpha-glucan Oligosaccharide, Ethyl-hexyl Methoxycinnamate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Myristic Acid, Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Polyglyceryl-3 Distearate, Polysorbate 60, Guar Hydroxypropyl-trimonium Chloride, Ppg-5-ceteth-20, Tetrasodium Edta, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum).

Gel for braiding??? I go to African braiders allllll of the time and this is the first time I've heard of putting gel in to braid. Even corn rows. Now sista's in the hood would do the gel thing but in the shop...hmmmm.....anyway, most hair stylists are just that, stylists. They're not into hair care unless it's their own hair. It's a shame but it's mostly about the almighty dollar.

Gel for braiding??? I go to African braiders allllll of the time and this is the first time I've heard of putting gel in to braid. Even corn rows. Now sista's in the hood would do the gel thing but in the shop...hmmmm.....anyway, most hair stylists are just that, stylists. They're not into hair care unless it's their own hair. It's a shame but it's mostly about the almighty dollar.

I myself have been wearing braids for almost 10 years and have never used gel, but everybody is different:yep:.

clarification on gel thing.... they use gel for twists... senegalese, flat twists, french braids etc... I got corn twists...

Guess I'm a country bumpkin. I never cared for gel and didn't even know it was bad for me!LOL! I'm slobbering at the mouth looking at your puff. It's so pretty!

Thanks!!!!!!

I love that puff too.... it is in the bedroom right now!!!!!

:lachen: It is so totally fake!

Lot of places use gel NG - but - of course - they cannot come near my head with that stuff.

Exactly. I've seen it done. The place I went to was using a mixture of Jam with pink lotion. I had a fit when she first tried to put it on my hair. I was like you didn't use it last time! She said I did I just put a little bit and you didn't see me. :perplexed

I would presume that would be the point girls!!!
it should not look fake right???

I cannot lie to my sistas here. I have had alot of people at church freak when I tell them that. I stopped becauser they did not believe me!
!!!
:lachen:

OH :busted:- I am sorry:paperbag: - I am hijacking too........:ot:.......

Exactly. I've seen it done. The place I went to was using a mixture of Jam with pink lotion. I had a fit when she first tried to put it on my hair. I was like you didn't use it last time! She said I did I just put a little bit and you didn't see me. :perplexed

Whaaaaaaaaa????

I saw the giant jar coming at me. :huh:

They hated me when I told em off about that 2 dollar crap - why do you think it is 2 bucks? I eventually never went back -so no more fighting with the stylist.

I only went to Aftrican braiders in NYC back in my hair braiding days and they ALL would love to apply Let's Jam while braiding any style :look:. I'm sure that they still use it. Good for you for informing your stylist!

I have definitely had them put brown gel on my edges before. WOW! Good for you for knowing what's best.

ETA: I didn't have them do it...but found out too late that they have snuck it in there.

Last edited:
Whaaaaaaaaa????

I saw the giant jar coming at me. :huh:

They hated me when I told em off about that 2 dollar crap - why do you think it is 2 bucks? I eventually never went back -so no more fighting with the stylist.

Nah they had a little jar with a little jam in the bottom. Then I guess they poured a little pink lotion in it to mix with it. They said it would soften the hair. I'm guessing they just put it on the roots for relaxed heads to get the hair smooth around the root of the braid. I saw another shop do this before when I was relaxed too. But that was the first time I had braids as a natural and she rubbed the pink lotion on my hair. I was hot. :mad: She was like do you want me to wash it out? I was like no that's just gonna make it worse. Just let it be. She dabbed it with a towel. Haven't been back to her since. And that was a year ago. I had been going to her for a year before that.

I used to go to African braiders all the time but I never had them use gel on my hair. My biggest beef with them is some them tie a knot at the ends of my micros. If you cut the braid where the knot is, you'll cut a few inches of natural hair off as well.

Nah they had a little jar with a little jam in the bottom. Then I guess they poured a little pink lotion in it to mix with it. They said it would soften the hair. I'm guessing they just put it on the roots for relaxed heads to get the hair smooth around the root of the braid. I saw another shop do this before when I was relaxed too. But that was the first time I had braids as a natural and she rubbed the pink lotion on my hair. I was hot. :mad: She was like do you want me to wash it out? I was like no that's just gonna make it worse. Just let it be. She dabbed it with a towel. Haven't been back to her since. And that was a year ago. I had been going to her for a year before that.

Good lord..........:nono:

I used to go to African braiders all the time but I never had them use gel on my hair. My biggest beef with them is some them tie a knot at the ends of my micros. If you cut the braid where the knot is, you'll cut a few inches of natural hair off as well.

Yea that is why I just left them alone period............

sad.................................:nono::nono:

to get my protective style of the month ( in my fotki are pics) and shen she started she immediately whipped out the black gel.... I told her no thanks and whipped out my Nexxuss Exxtra Gel... She asked me why I didnt want to use black gel and when I told her she replied... You know whats healthy for your hair, a lot of people dont know & dont care... then she said she doesnt even use black gel in her own hair

WTF??

anyhoo, the Nexxuss stuff is hellafied expensive ( $12 a tube) but if it saves my precious strands from alcohol induced brittleness & dryness, its worth it

http://www.nexxus.com/hair_care_types/styling_products/sl_exxtra-gel_styling_sculptor_gel.html

Defined, sculptured, and sleek were never this chic.
Benefits:
Imagine, a styling gel with strong hold that adds shine, control, and sculptural definition. Alcohol and color free this hard-working gel blends instantly into damp or dry hair. A formula including Chamomille, Collagen, and Elastins adds elasticity and shine.

ingredients:
Water (Aqua), Polyacrylamidomethylpropane Sulfonic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Collagen Amino Acids, Hydrolyzed Elastin, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Matricaria (Chamomilla Recutita) Flower Extract, Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Soluble Collagen, Tocopheryl Acetate, Avocado (Persea Gratissima) Oil, Soybean (Glycine Soja) Sterol, Wheat Flour (Triticum Vulgare) Lipids, Ceramide 3, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Alpha-glucan Oligosaccharide, Ethyl-hexyl Methoxycinnamate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Myristic Acid, Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Polyglyceryl-3 Distearate, Polysorbate 60, Guar Hydroxypropyl-trimonium Chloride, Ppg-5-ceteth-20, Tetrasodium Edta, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum).

that is too sad:nono:

yeah i wear braids all the time...no gel....but why would she use something on somebody she doesn't even use on herself.....unless they insist of course!!

Back