Just want to wear a straight bang :(

Amerie2304

Hi guys, so this morning I decided to flat iron my bang and not even 10 minutes of being outside, my bang turned into a poof. Any suggestions on how to keep it straight? I sprayed heat protectant before flat ironing but I guess that doesn't help to keep it from reverting. Help please!

carameldelight87

Whoa whoa whoa. Vaseline?! Really?! Well, how about before you do that, try a straightening serum along with the heat protectant. I hear CHI has a great one, or you can use just about any that's for straight hair. If all else fails, and you just GOT to have that straight bang in the middle of July...nope nope, can't do it. Ma'am, please don't put Vaseline in your hair. :look:

Also, be mindful of the heat protectant. Tresemme's heat protectant wasn't good for making my straight styles last.

a_shoe_6307

JOHN FRIEDA Frizz Ease Thermal Heat Protectant (orange bottle)! It is my life saver!!! My friend & I who are both natural went out last night & her hair started to revert after 10 min & min is still straight. It's the best thing I have ever found & you can buy it at any of the drug stores or super stores.

Amerie2304

Whoa whoa whoa. Vaseline?! Really?! Well, how about before you do that, try a straightening serum along with the heat protectant. I hear CHI has a great one, or you can use just about any that's for straight hair. If all else fails, and you just GOT to have that straight bang in the middle of July...nope nope, can't do it. Ma'am, please don't put Vaseline in your hair. :look:

Also, be mindful of the heat protectant. Tresemme's heat protectant wasn't good for making my straight styles last.

LOL @ the bolded. To be honest, I've been frustrated with my hair as of late. I love wash and go's during the warm weather but SSK's are wreaking havoc on my hair. So I've been bunning but I'm getting bored with it. That's why I decided to add a straight bang to spruce it up I guess lol. Thanks for the suggestions!

carameldelight87

LOL @ the bolded. To be honest, I've been frustrated with my hair as of late. I love wash and go's during the warm weather but SSK's are wreaking havoc on my hair. So I've been bunning but I'm getting bored with it. That's why I decided to add a straight bang to spruce it up I guess lol. Thanks for the suggestions!

I always suggest that if your hair is boring you, weave/wig/braid/twist it up! You can do your own at home kinky twists or yarn twists like I did, to give both you and your hair a break! :yep:

But honey, I'd avoid straightening in the summer, it's just damage that won't even last long enough to make worth it. :ohwell:

a_shoe_6307

I feel your pain with the SSK. It's been an issue for me this yr now that my hair is longer. But being straight in the summer & being natural doesn't have to be hard. Try the product I suggested if you want a bang. It may just work. I've been using it for 6 yrs now & I live in GA & it hasn't failed me yet. Just saying.

Evolving78

^^^ yeah, you shouldn't moisturize before using heat. the only moisturizer you should have used was your deep conditioner.

also, stay away from wash and gos, or try shingling.

have you tried twistouts or braidouts? you can where bangs. why do you try rollersetting your bangs? i wanna see how this straight bang looks with textured hair, so we are going to need you to post some pics lady! lol

Last edited:

mEmYSELFaNDj

I already with the above posters maybe use a serum before flat ironing. because it can double as a heat protectant and help keep reversion at bay.

AuNaturalMaMa

I live in FL and wearing a bang during outside activity is just asking for trouble! I wore my hair straight this month. I use CHI silk infusion, but I still took precautions. To me even if you use a serum/moisture block but you're outside active in 90+ weather you are going to sweat and you will have some kind of reversion. When I'm outide for long periods of time or exercising, I either bun or do a pony. Or Ill turn my bang into a hump. My forehead is the first place to sweat so I just keep my bang back. If I'm going to the mall or somewhere indoors, I will wear my bang.

Solitude

Why so anti-Vaseline? :look: It's not harmful to hair. I use "greasy" products like Pomades and other grease-like products, to keep my texlaxed hair from reverting in the Houston heat and humidity. A little dab'll do & it works better than all of the serums on the market.

Elasta QP Mango butter b4 flat ironing also works for me.

Amerie2304

I feel your pain with the SSK. It's been an issue for me this yr now that my hair is longer. But being straight in the summer & being natural doesn't have to be hard. Try the product I suggested if you want a bang. It may just work. I've been using it for 6 yrs now & I live in GA & it hasn't failed me yet. Just saying.

SSK's are my #1 issue right now. I started getting them once my hair passed 5 inches and it seems to be getting worse the longer my hair gets. :cry: Not to get OT but do you have any suggestions? I'm gonna try oil rinsing my next wash for the first time. I hope it helps!

Thanks again for the suggestion, I'm gonna try to find it or something similar today.

Amerie2304

@Amerie2304 did you use moisturizer before the spray protectant? What protectant did you use?

Hi, Nonie. I didn't particularly moisturize but I used VO5 conditioning hair dressing and a bootleg looking heat protectant I borrowed from my sis that she bought from Pathmark lol. This is only my second time straightening my hair in a year so I don't have the best arsenal of products to get the job done.

Last edited:

Amerie2304

^^^ yeah, you shouldn't moisturize before using heat. the only moisturizer you should have used was your deep conditioner.

also, stay away from wash and gos, or try shingling.

have you tried twistouts or braidouts? you can where bangs. why do you try rollersetting your bangs? i wanna see how this straight bang looks with textured hair, so we are going to need you to post some pics lady! lol

I tried a twist out this weekend - fail! Which led me to the bun. Is shingling when you just smoothe the gel straight down? I normally make "doodles". Maybe I'll try that and see how it comes out. I love how it looked this this morning! I will def take pics - before I leave the house! :lol: Although I must say I'm starting to have second thoughts. My hair did smell like it was burning and I am wondering if it's even worth it...but I guess one more try can't hurt! :drunk:

ETA: Sorry for all the individual replies! I just realized I should have bunched them all in one reply. I'm more of a lurker than a poster!

Last edited:

naturalTAN

You use the vaseline after straightening to prevent reversion and it's only a tiny bit. Works wonders. :yep:

naturalTAN

Why so anti-Vaseline? :look: It's not harmful to hair. I use "greasy" products like Pomades and other grease-like products, to keep my texlaxed hair from reverting in the Houston heat and humidity. A little dab'll do & it works better than all of the serums on the market.

Exactly. And it's much cheaper. :yep:

People used grease for years and now they turn up their noses at vaseline! :lachen:

Nonie

Hi, Nonie. I didn't particularly moisturize but I used VO5 conditioning hair dressing and a bootleg looking heat protectant I borrowed from my sis that she bought from Pathmark lol. This is only my second time straightening my hair in a year so I don't have the best arsenal of products to get the job done.

@Amerie2304 OK, I might be the only one but I think that to get a good press, you need only use a protectant. Your moisture should've been from deep conditioning. if you have some other product before the protectant, then it doesn't adhere properly to your hair and so will not protect it as well as it could have if it had nothing in the way of it being on your hair.

Also, I don't know if I'd count on spray protectants to prevent reversion. I personally think they are great for a blowdry and preventing damage--so that instead of blowing water soaked hair, you're blowing protectant soaked hair. (Like dry your hair first, then apply protectant and then rollerset.) I have always believed in serums as being the anti-reversion products, so even though I do use the protectant spray, I always finish my flat iron with the serum on the already dried hair; hair that previously had spray protectant. Since I don't blow dry, I airdry in braids or curly formers (<--What the heck are those? :lachen: I meant Curlformers) to dry, then I do my first press on protectant sprayed hair; then my second pass on serum coated hair.

My hair stays straight until I wash it.

ETA: My protectant line is John Frieda Frizz Ease, the Heat Defeat spray and the Thermal Protection Serum in the orange bottle that someone already mentioned.

Last edited:

carameldelight87

There's just some things I wouldn't put in my hair and I wouldn't recommend it to others either. :nono: What you do with your hair (and the OP) is up to you. I'd suggest a flat ironing/curling wax before vaseline. I don't think it's the best idea to use grease products before you put direct heat on your hair. You're not trying to fry your hair.

But do you, sweetie. :yep:

Solitude

There's just some things I wouldn't put in my hair and I wouldn't recommend it to others either. :nono: What you do with your hair (and the OP) is up to you. I'd suggest a flat ironing/curling wax before vaseline. I don't think it's the best idea to use grease products before you put direct heat on your hair. You're not trying to fry your hair.

carameldelight87

I will do me, but I'm not your sweetie. No need to be condescending/rude.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I found success using a TAD and I do mean TAD of Elasta QP curl wax just before flat ironing. Keep in mind that with natural hair, trying to keep it from reverting during the middle of a hot, humid summer - well, that is like hunting for the holy grail of hair products. Some products work better than others, but at the end of the day, there will be reversion. Most products can stop it from reaching a full 100% reversion, but would you be happy if the reversion was stopped at say, 50%?

Just something to keep in mind as its something all naturals have to consider. Especially if you aren't in the heat trained/damaged line of thinking.

Amerie2304

So I just left Ricky's and I was in the process of buying the John Frieda Frizz Ease Thermal Protection Serum and the salesworker suggested I buy the 3 Day Straight Spray instead which they happen to be sold out of. :look: Before I go on a hunt for it tonight...what do you guys think? Has anyone used this product and can provide some feedback?

Your Cheeziness

Regardless of the product you use, you need something to block moisture from your hair causing reversion. Serums and grease/pomades that don't contain water can work, so just check the label. But there is only so much a product can do against sweat.

naturalTAN

Most (curl) waxes are made from petrolatum which is the same as the petroleum jelly in vaseline.

I looked at ingedients for Elasta QP curl wax and realized that it's just a fancy version of vaseline and that there was no need to buy it when I have vaseline at home. :lachen:

I'm cheap too, carameldelight87. Broke uni student FTW. :lachen: